You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Meet The Eagles (Posters) - Steegles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Meet The Eagles (Posters) - Steegles Reply with quote

Meet The Eagles (Posters)

Steegles46

The second person that I have interviewed is the second part of our moderating duo here on the Eagles boards. He has been a moderator here for longer than I've even been a poster but still finds his way to these boards on a regular basis. His annual "Beat Steegles Wife" offseason competition is a hit on these boards. Lets all give a warm welcome to Steegles46.

1) Letís start off with an Eagles base, obviously you want the Eagles to win the Superbowl (donít we all) but what is your most realistic opinion on how we will do this year?

Quote:
Playoffs definitely, though where they go in the playoffs is a mystery to me. I don't see them making the Super Bowl because they are just so darn young at the skill positions, but they have all the tools to make a deep run in the playoffs. A lot of people seem to think that Maclin has to produce in near Jackson-like numbers for the Eagles to get to the Super Bowl, but I think with Curtis back and healthy the Eagles merely need Jackson to make a moderate improvement in overall production and impact for the Eagles to take the next step. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen much, so I see the Eagles winning one game in the playoffs before making an exit. After that, who knows with McNabb's contract situation; we may be looking at a restart after this season.

2) With all the controversy regarding Sheldon Brown and his contract situation, how do you feel about this and what would you do to solve the problem?

Quote:
I'm all for players demanding a new contract, just not so soon. The argument for the owners has been made so often, 'If a player doesn't perform up to his contract, can the owner ask for a pay cut?' but that isn't the same thing. We all know that if a player isn't performing near where his contract would demand, ownership would release the player, voiding the remainder of his contract. In that way, NFL players are just like us: we can all get fired tomorrow, so why not fight for raises when you think you deserve one? If I was one of the best actuaries out there, I would demand that I get paid like one (I'm not one yet, but some day I will be ), so why shouldn't Sheldon ask for his? The only problem I have with this specific situation is that he just has so many years left on his contract that it seems like he's being petulant. It's not a good PR move for him to demand one so early into his current contract.

If I was the general manager, I'd see if he would bite if offered to convert some of his salary into a signing bonus. He wouldn't get more money, but he'd get more guaranteed money up front. Three years down the line when he complains again about his base salary, he'll have no leg to stand on having just accepted more money in the recent past, and will be cheap and old enough that he could be cut for causing a stir. It's a harsh attitude to take, but above all else, the NFL is a business.

3) If you could choose any current player from the NFL to put on the Eagles roster for just ONE season who would it be and why?

Quote:
That's a good one. I know when I type up my answer, I'll think of someone else and regret this, but assuming that he comes in knowing the offense to a 'T' my pick would be Darren Sproles. Imagine a Westbrook entering his prime in this offense, what it could do. There's already speed everywhere with Curtis, Jackson, Maclin, and Ingram, and now you've added what in my opinion is the most explosive running back in the NFL, a threat out of the backfield and in the flats. He doesn't run routes as well as Westbrook, but frankly Westbrook is the best I've ever seen at that from a running back.

Now you've got me thinking about how this could happen. Jerious Norwood would be nearly as good, and would probably come a lot cheaper because of the running back situation in Atlanta and his level of publicity is much lower than Sproles'. If you could get Norwood for one of our third round picks, would you do it? I know I would, but it would most likely take more to get him.

4) Outside of the Eagles what are your favorite sports/sports teams (pro and college allowed) to watch and why?

Quote:
The Phillies are my favorite pro team in all of sports, because I'm a huge baseball nut. I'm the kind of guy who screams and claps like a jackass when in the fifth inning the 8-hole hitter draws a walk with two outs to turn the lineup over for the next inning. I used to play baseball for my school right up until I had a surgical procedure on my ankle, ending my "career." I don't have Comcast right now, so I'll watch MLBN to try and catch a glimpse of updates and look-ins, and if all else fails I'll go to Yahoo! and watch that stupid box score update all night. Frankly, I get so tied up into the game, I can't listen to it on radio or watch it on television for any length of time anyway, so it's probably better this way. While I don't live in Philadelphia, I do live near Reading, so I get to watch the R-Phils a dozen or so times a year.

Other than that, I'll watch and root for all Philly sports teams, and of course Penn State Nittany Lions football.

5) I know Mrs. Steegles participates in your annual offseason prediction contest, does she fare any better this year or is the gag sig a realistic possibility?

Quote:
You have no idea how competitive this woman is. I keep telling her that she's merely the control, and that her best contribution to the contest is to fail at a rate probability dictates. She does that with remarkable consistency, which is great for me. To her, it's failing at something, which absolutely hurts her pride. She loves to succeed, and will stubbornly work at even the most hopeless of scenarios until she ekes some kind of victory out of it. I'm sure that she's trying to remember certain trends to the front office's off-season approach, and will gain just enough insight so that she won't make a statistically legitimate control anymore. The only problem with that is that I won't find this out until it's too late, meaning that in the future it will happen - someone will have to wear the "Suck it Bitches" sig. As for this year? No, I don't see it happening. She's just a little too far behind, and this forum as a whole is just too knowledgeable for it to happen.

6) You are going to be stuck on your own private island for the rest of your life but you have no way of communicating with the outside world. Who are 5 people you would bring with you and why?

Quote:
I'm assuming 5 people currently alive rather than anyone in history, because bringing corpses with me to a private island would just be...weird.

1. Steegles' Wife - Now she can't say that I don't take her anywhere
2. Les Stroud - Someone has to keep us all alive, and Lord knows it's not going to be me
3. President Barack Obama - We're going to need a message of hope
4. Martha Stewart - Stroud's house and food would be pretty Spartan, so Stewart's here to add a touch of color and spice to our island life
5. Lewis Black - We need someone to make us laugh. He has the added bonus of taking the edge off of having to live with Martha Stewart

7) What is something you have never done that you would like to try and why?

Quote:
Become a sports broadcaster. Growing up I'd mute the television and announce games, and I got good enough that my friends and family really pushed me to pursue it as a career. I only ever wanted to announce Phillies games, so I never tried. If I could announce just one inning, that would be an absolute dream come true.

8 ) You have just been elected president of the United States, what are the first 3 things you do to help the country and why?

Quote:
1. Create federalised health care for all Americans. In Moore's Sicko, he says that Americans spend on average $7,000 a year on health care. With federalised health care, the cost would be lower because you're removing the profit-seeking middle man from the equation. But nevertheless, people seem to think that it will cost more because inefficiencies will occur out of a lack of market competition. Playing in that ballpark, let's say that it costs $10,000 per person to fully insure every American citizen with outstanding health care. With 300M people in America, that comes to US$30 billion. We used to think that was a lot of money, but not anymore. How much does the war in Iraq cost each month? US$ 12 billion. How much was the AIG bailout? US$180 billion. Suddenly this doesn't seem so bad, especially if you believe like I do that the cost won't be nearly as much as the number I quoted you.

2. Rework our stimulus plans and bailout packages. Instead of spending over a trillion dollars to simply inject cash to corporate entities so inefficient or irresponsible as to cause their own destruction, let's create jobs by injecting this cash into infrastructure projects to fix our roads, and green jobs to launch ourselves into a self-sustaining, renewable society? Why give General Motors US$40-some billion dollars? Why not dole out, say, US$5 billion to Aptera so they can mass-produce the electric car, and spend the rest subsidizing the building of electric refilling stations across the US (I know it'll cost more, but it will give us a good foundation for a start). Motor Development International has created a car costing $15,000 that runs on compressed air. There are possibilities there, and if we're going to be spending massive amounts of money, let's do it in a way that reshapes our entire future for the better.

3. Subsidize college education for all Americans. I remember watching an episode of the West Wing when they floated the idea of a free college education if you agreed to become a teacher for five or so years. I wouldn't mind doing that in the least, and think that would be a great way to boost college enrollment and ease the teacher shortage in America at the same time.

9) If you could have lunch with and pick the brain of any person, alive or dead, who would it be and why?

Quote:
Joseph Campbell. Campbell is one of those rare people who have such an amazing blend of knowledge and charisma that you get lost in their words. He effortlessly blends philosophy and religious teachings of every culture on earth to show that while we claim to be so very different, we are actually quite similar in our beliefs. He was a huge proponent of the monomyth, which refers to a basic pattern of heroes found in many narratives from around the world. It's amazing to see cultures that had no previous contact creating works of heroes and myth that follow similar paths, or religions that have similar beliefs or concepts despite never having interacted with one another. I'm sure goth could go into much greater detail, and with much more flair, than I.

10) What one fictional character do you wish was real and why?

Quote:
I don't generally read fiction, so my knowledge is quite scant here. I don't know, how about Bunnicula?

11) If you could change one thing about FF what would it be and why?

Quote:
This may seem disingenuous, but I really like the way it is. Maybe a chance to buy into this, because I really like the site and would like to have a personal investment in it to go with my personal vested interest.

Thank you for your time Steegs.

Quote:
No problem. Sorry I was so long winded and boring. Hopefully the next interviewee will be more entertaining than me.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK everbody can post away about Steegles here. and give him his15 mins of fame.

Let me just say, I kinda want to be the first person to wear the "Suck it Bitches" sig for the whole 2 minutes that it is allowed by Webby.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

UKEaglesFan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are going to have to change quite dramatically for that to happen..

Is there anyone who doesn't like Sproles, he even showed that he can run through people when he needs to!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who gets interviewed, only the top ten posters oir something?

Best call of my life
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=348455- September 30, 2009
Blahman88

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKEaglesFan wrote:
Things are going to have to change quite dramatically for that to happen..

Is there anyone who doesn't like Sproles, he even showed that he can run through people when he needs to!

Id prefer MJD, but you cant go wrong with Sproles
RBrown86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good interview Steegs. Enjoyed reading it. Sproles might be a poor-man's Westbrook, but I think we have more pressing needs then him at the moment.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work again. I'd love to hear Steegs on ESPN Very Happy

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglefan5 wrote:
who gets interviewed, only the top ten posters oir something?

I had a couple of people in mind as far as older posters and more active posters but there is no actual requirement or sign-up for this. In the first one I just asked you to PM me nominations if you had any suggetions.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

gothman25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Meet The Eagles (Posters) - Steegles Reply with quote

Steegles46 wrote:
Joseph Campbell. Campbell is one of those rare people who have such an amazing blend of knowledge and charisma that you get lost in their words. He effortlessly blends philosophy and religious teachings of every culture on earth to show that while we claim to be so very different, we are actually quite similar in our beliefs. He was a huge proponent of the monomyth, which refers to a basic pattern of heroes found in many narratives from around the world. It's amazing to see cultures that had no previous contact creating works of heroes and myth that follow similar paths, or religions that have similar beliefs or concepts despite never having interacted with one another. I'm sure goth could go into much greater detail, and with much more flair, than I.

I'm afraid I cannot. J. Campbell is a guy I have never really studied. I have had very brief interactions with his writings, but only by way of references made by other authors. Though, given your outline of his thought, I've probably had some experience studying his theological forebears--i.e., J. Wellhausen and R. Bultmann; as well as A. Schopenhauer and F. Nietzsche-- who evidently heavily influenced his thought. Other than that, I can't really add much to what has already been said of him.

The one and only Kiltman!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned." -- William Congreve
eagles18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely take Troy Polamalu over anyone in the league... hard hitter, not a trash talker, excellent coverage guy and a huge boost to our defense
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art_Vandalay is up next!!

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

Eagles27

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Art_Vandalay is up next!!

Definitely looking forward to that. Cool

#JDI

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: