Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: WR, Part I
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the #3 WR job?
Joey Galloway
82%
 82%  [ 19 ]
Greg Lewis
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: WR, Part I Reply with quote

Joey Galloway vs. Greg Lewis

The WR corps over the year has seen its share of turnover. Tom Brady started with a cast of Troy Brown and David Patten, which later turned into a tandem of Deion Branch and David Givens and then into Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney. Ultimately, we upgraded to a stellar dynamic duo of Randy Moss and Wes Welker, each of whom has been selected to a Pro Bowl during their time in Foxboro. While those two are both great, we still need a #3 guy to fit into our spread offense with the departure of Jabar Gaffney to the Denver Broncos. Gaffney posted average totals of 37 catches for 459 yards and 3.5 touchdowns during his last two seasons here. While not overly impressive, he certainly got the job done and showed a flair for the dramatic, catching a few big passes along the way. Whichever receiver ends up winning the job will certainly benefit from the extra attention that Moss and Welker will surely draw.

Joey Galloway comes to us after five productive seasons with Tampa Bay. Galloway is a classic stretch the field-type, as he has averaged 15.7 yards per catch over his NFL career. While Galloway has surely lost a step or too (he is 37 years old, after all) and has been hit by the injury bug, the fountain of youth has been spotted on occasion in the confines of Gillette Stadium. Bill Belichick has had a history of plugging in grizzlied veterans, many of whom are considered “over the hill” and watching them succeed. Prior to last season, Galloway posted three straight 1,000 yard performances. It remains to be seen whether or not he can return to this form, as WR’s, specifically speed guy, generally tend to slow down at this age.
Odds of Starting: 70%

Bill Belichick has always had a strange fascination for Greg Lewis. Similar to Galloway, Lewis is another vertical threat to add to this arsenal. Ironically enough, the man he could be replacing in Gaffney is the same guy who Lewis beat out in Eagles training camp in 2006. Despite showing some promise, Lewis has never really broken out in this league. In his still short NFL career, he has posted highs of 48 receptions, 561 yards and 3 TD’s. While this may not be the elite production we are looking for and it may be far fetched to expect them, I am certain that many here would take those totals in a heartbeat. If anyone is able to make Lewis look good, it’s #12.
Odds of Starting: 30%

Where does Brandon Tate fit in?

At one point in time, Tate was considered a potential first round pick until an ACL tear ended his season. Tate possesses outstanding athleticism for his position, which has had some compare him to another 2009 draftee in Percy Harvin. Tate's primary role initially seems to be in the return game, where his speed makes him a home run threat every time he touches it. He will need to work on his routes and also learn the playbook, so it may be a blessing in disguise that he is currently injured. Tate only caught 46 passes in his entire career, but the upside is definitely there. He will most likely start on PUP and be slowly worked into the rotation, if at all, this season.

My Prediction: Contrary to popular opinion, I actually believe that Greg Lewis wins this job. I just do not believe that Galloway has enough in the tank to remain a productive receiver at this age. If anyone can break out an underachieving WR, its Brady, which bodes well for Lewis. And if anyone can give a 37 year old the fountain of youth, its Brady, which bodes well for Galloway. I expect whichever WR wins the job will put up pretty big numbers regardless.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Galloway or give me disturbing indigestion!

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Shock6822

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good writeup, and I agree with the Lewis prediction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the week 1 starter will be Joey. His speed will keep defenses honest and allow for much less work for Welker and Moss.

With the way things are now it seems to be Joeys job to lose. Greg Lewis would have to have a good training camp but I think both will see some snaps at that 3 spot.

Tate when he comes back off PUP will be the KR more than likely.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to reporters, Galloway can still run. I'm eager to see him in TC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all based on what we want from the offense in a three set more so than the fact that one beat the other in another training camp. In the land of the Eagles a half decent receiver is king. We're talking about third and fourth spots. I would expect we'd want a burner in Galloway to challenge safeties on his side so as to give both Welker and Moss more room.

That being said four receivers sets put Welker at about 11 yards a catch where three is ten YPC. If and when we choose to go with a lower protection set in favor of yardage you can be certain that Welker has more space to work with.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
redwhite&blue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finn54 wrote:

You're going to TC this year?

Scouting the best of the best. RWB's positional rankings!
finn54

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redwhite&blue wrote:
finn54 wrote:

You're going to TC this year?

nope Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan on seeing him in TC then?

Scouting the best of the best. RWB's positional rankings!
tomski_29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redwhite&blue wrote:
How do you plan on seeing him in TC then?

he has that magical thing called ways and means, just like myself, ways and means RW&B, ways and means...

I'm a starting Quarterback and it freakin rules.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!
SoxNats07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: WR, Part I Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
I just do not believe that Galloway has enough in the tank to remain a productive receiver at this age.

Hey I agree with you on something!

BTW you forgot Julian Edelman as an option Laughing

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galloway is going to be the other outside WR with Moss and then you will have Lewis and my man Welker inside, that is my prediction. I don't think we will see too much of Tate this year maybe outside of special teams, but I love the kids potential.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: WR, Part I Reply with quote

SoxNats07 wrote:
BTW you forgot Julian Edelman as an option Laughing

There's two parts for WR's for a reason...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patsfan01 wrote:
Galloway is going to be the other outside WR with Moss and then you will have Lewis and my man Welker inside, that is my prediction. I don't think we will see too much of Tate this year maybe outside of special teams, but I love the kids potential.

that's what i have as well.

Lewis will be what Ben Watson should be consistently, having shown flashes of it before, a threat down the seams between the numbers. Like his first TD reception against us in 07.

Galloway Welker Lewis Moss

Brady Faulk

Tasty.

I'm a starting Quarterback and it freakin rules.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigs-Taking Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: