Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft is a month away? To do list!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Draft is a month away? To do list! Reply with quote

We rank #1 in cap space with 40M minus Mack and we have 30M. Some people think we need 15-20M to carryover for signing/extending players next year. Haden has stated he wants to extend. Maybe 10M max for the draft with 10 possible picks! That leaves 10M.

Should we spend the 10M this year on FA's? I still think we need QB, WR like Burleson or Holmes for 1yr, CB or S, and ILB. One fact people forget is many teams will be cutting or releasing players as various deadlines like Johnson RB today or Jackson a couple of days ago.

Mock drafts have been all over the map. Kiper and McShay stated on national TV this year's draft is the deepest all time. Many experts believe NFL starters can be had in the first three rounds. Our first 4th is just like a third so we will have the potential for 6 NFL starters with this draft. If we hit on 4th rd and later, the draft would be huge for us. Needless to say this draft makes or breaks us!

Clowney looks to be a lock for #1 and we are most likely taking Watkins/Mack/Evans/Robinson or trading down at #4. One of the big 5 QB's(Carr and Jimmy G added)is going to drop at #26 and I have to think we take a QB. We must take a CB in 2nd rd. 3rd rd we have a lot of options but most likely RB and G/T. 4th we have a lot of options and I would trade second 4th for 2015 3rd.

Our FO appears to be working hard and doing due diligence looking thoroughly at all the QB's. FA has been solid but I still think we need some more veterans signings. I am surprised no trades.

What do you think about our"to do" list for the month before the draft?
cattleman78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of at the place I'd like to trade down from pick 4 picking up an extra second but staying in the top 10. I feel pick 4 is to high for a q.b. this year but pick 26 is probably to late.

Sign Burleson and a vet q.b. in free agency than call it a day.

Like I said I'd trade down from pick 4 and pick a q.b.
Than fill our holes and maybe trading up for quality. I feel if we add a q.b. a receiver, a corner, an off. lineman [guard most likely] and a m.l.b. we would be in good shape. Wouldn't mind adding depth than to other positions.

Extend Haden,Mack and Cameron.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft is deep, however at 4 I really want one of the elite player ( Cloweny, Watkins, Mack in that order) The draft is full of quality players but at 4 I want a guy that is special- and I just hope that they don't go top 3.... if that happens and we are not inlove with a QB then sure move back some and get a DB or ILB - but if one of them are at 4 they can be a difference maker imo-

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Cattle, Trading down is still an option. I think the FO probably has identified and chatted with teams like 8-Minn, 9-Buff, 11- Tenn, and 13- Rams. Certainly there have been conversations for trade down scenarios. Player evaluations continue as our coaching staff plans the workload for this season plus input for the draft. Unless a QB has been identified, I think we should trade down#4 and get Gilbert or Dennard.

Mack situation will play itself out as Greco is an insurance policy.

For draft, I think the list of people(max 30) who we are meeting with will tell a lot of intention for FO who has been very thorough so far.

One point for consideration,do we use a 3,4,5 to trade for 2015 pick. I think we might consider giving up a 2nd or 3rd next yr for a pick this year if it makes sense since the draft is so deep this year and iffy next.

You have to think we are taking a CB and I think an elite player like Gilbert and Dennard is the answer. Both can return punts and kickoffs as well as special teams! We will pick a CB no later than 2nd rd.

For WR, one point mentioned is we can pick Watkins or Evans at #4 but more than likely we get the best of the rest with 2nd or 3rd rd pick because we will probably pick up a FA like Burleson or Holmes.

Many teams will have to cut and release as the draft approaches so we are in a good position to find some value in terms of 1 yr deals where a veteran wants to prove his worth and knows he is starting.

There will be trades starting the week before the draft.
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft is a month away? To do list! Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
We rank #1 in cap space with 40M minus Mack and we have 30M. Some people think we need 15-20M to carryover for signing/extending players next year. Haden has stated he wants to extend. Maybe 10M max for the draft with 10 possible picks! That leaves 10M.

Should we spend the 10M this year on FA's? I still think we need QB, WR like Burleson or Holmes for 1yr, CB or S, and ILB. One fact people forget is many teams will be cutting or releasing players as various deadlines like Johnson RB today or Jackson a couple of days ago.

Mock drafts have been all over the map. Kiper and McShay stated on national TV this year's draft is the deepest all time. Many experts believe NFL starters can be had in the first three rounds. Our first 4th is just like a third so we will have the potential for 6 NFL starters with this draft. If we hit on 4th rd and later, the draft would be huge for us. Needless to say this draft makes or breaks us!

Clowney looks to be a lock for #1 and we are most likely taking Watkins/Mack/Evans/Robinson or trading down at #4. One of the big 5 QB's(Carr and Jimmy G added)is going to drop at #26 and I have to think we take a QB. We must take a CB in 2nd rd. 3rd rd we have a lot of options but most likely RB and G/T. 4th we have a lot of options and I would trade second 4th for 2015 3rd.

Our FO appears to be working hard and doing due diligence looking thoroughly at all the QB's. FA has been solid but I still think we need some more veterans signings. I am surprised no trades.

What do you think about our"to do" list for the month before the draft?

the bolded obviously is what you want to see happen and not really what is most likely to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will disagree entirely on the whole "We must take a CB by round two" idea. I think there are some very good CBs to be had in round three or later such as Pierre Desir, Keith McGill, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Louchiez Purifoy or Jaylen Watkins that will be good starters in the NFL. I also think there are some OG that could be sititng there at 35 that will be better players/value and fill a bigger need. I think the drop off in guard talent is greater than that at the CB spot in this draft. I would frankly take Xavier Su'a-Filo at 26 over any of the CBs except maybe Dennard, although I expect that pick to probably be the QB. I would not be surporsed if they did go with a CB at 26 or 35 just do not think it imperative that they do.

I would like us to stay at 4 and I would imagine Clowney is gone for sure and possibly Robinson or Mack and maybe Watkins, but one of those four guys will be there and I am not convinced their QB that the FO likes will not be sitting there at 4 so that would not surprise me either.

I think our top picks probably go something like this, which I would be extremely happy with:

4. Watkins;
26. Whichever QB falls of the top 3 or Carr;
35. If they go OG in round 2 - Xavier Su'a-Filo or David Yankey (or maybe Gabe Jackson) or if they go CB in round 2 Fuller, Verret or Roby depending on who slips.;
68. Keith McGill or Cyril Richardson(if they go CB in round 2);
79. Chris Borland;

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: