Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Mack Done in Cleveland?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWil23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Is Mack Done in Cleveland? Reply with quote

What do you guys think? Am I over-analyzing this language?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000629613/article/alex-mack-cleveland-browns-going-in-right-direction

Quote:
KAHUKU, OAHU, HAWAII -- Browns Pro Bowl center Alex Mack could very well be done in Cleveland, labeled by one area reporter as a "lost cause" with a potential opt-out looming this offseason.

But here in Hawaii, he was thankful for the opportunity to detach and watch the situation play out from afar. Mack, a former first-round pick, will be a hot commodity if he hits the open market this March and he will be thought of as a savior if he returns to Cleveland alongside fellow Pro Bowler Joe Thomas. Mack was previously on the record as saying that 'winning is important to me' when selecting his next step.

"I mean, it was good to leave the season, take some time off and let that all shake out," Mack told Around The NFL on Thursday. "Really happy they got everything handled early and they found their guy. They're getting a staff together quickly. It's going in the right direction."

Mack, who is playing in his third Pro Bowl on Sunday, seemed more at peace about his situation than ever. When asked if he talked to his teammates about the hiring of Paul DePodesta, Sashi Brown and head coach Hue Jackson, Mack said that "after the season, I just took off. Let the dust kind of settle, refresh my mind and get ready for Hawaii."

"I think they've got good things going in the right places," Mack said.

The good news for Cleveland is that, for the first time in Mack's tenure, they might be able to make an enticing pitch. Jackson was arguably the most sought-after head coach on the market and came to Cleveland after transforming the Bengals' offense. He also seems eager to root out the dead weight on Cleveland's roster which has caused Mack and other veterans plenty of headaches.

Mack would also be playing for a team that put a pair of executives in place specifically to curb the constant dust-ups between coaching and management that have underscored the last 17 years of Browns football.

Still, it might be a leap of faith for a 30-year-old star looking to make the playoffs sooner rather than later.

Mack has more than a month to make his decision, and there's no telling if recent events have changed or influenced his thought process. For now, he's happy to be in Hawaii.

"This experience has been nice just because you get to be around guys you don't normally see," Mack said. "When you see these guys, you're playing against them and they're opponents and it's next week up mentality. This, it's nice to see people here with their families and friends. You get to relax and talk about your last season."

A lot of "theys" in reference to the Browns. Would he have referred to the Browns as "we" if he hadn't already made up his mind?

Just posting for discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not reading into "they's" in a comment.

"We" is appropriate if you are involved. He had nothing to do with any of the hirings.

That said, I think he's done. This franchise has been a dumpster fire his whole career and he wanted out 2 years ago.

Can't say I blame the guy, I wouldn't sign here either right now.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.

Adopt-a-Brown 2016
Carl Nassib
Derrick Kindred
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I'm pretty sure he's gone.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
dawgdish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's smart, he's gone. We were born into this life of masochism & misery and are once again optimistic that this will be the time things turn around, but who knows? He has a clock ticking on his career, wants to win, and will likely have an opportunity to make millions in a place with a better track record & history of winning. Once of our biggest mistakes was not franchising him and locking him up long term last time and it's going to bite us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully. Had no business being in the pro bowl to start with.

We drafted Erving for a reason. He started to come on the last few games of the season. I'd like to see how he could with a real offensive line coach.

Or just draft a center. It's not hard to be better than Mack last year.

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
The Warriors blew a 3-1 lead
MWil23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:

We drafted Erving for a reason. He started to come on the last few games of the season. I'd like to see how he could with a real offensive line coach.

I would never say that he started to "come on", but rather, started to "suck a little less".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
sdrawkcab321 wrote:

I would never say that he started to "come on", but rather, started to "suck a little less".

True. But he wasn't noticeably terrible. Which is all you can ask for from a rookie lineman.

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
The Warriors blew a 3-1 lead
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Erving time! Cool

.... Crying or Very sad

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLEARLY done in Cleveland. I thought the same thing as you with the "theys" when I read the article. Even if he's not the one making the decisions he'd be saying "we" are going the right direction. It's not like he's a free agent right now... he has an opt out! He's a foot out the door. See ya dude.
wukusimw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free's up some valuable cap for Schwartz, Gip, WR and maybe hopefully another defender. He's one of the best when healthy, but even then centers in the 1st round are a waste.

Seems like there are some good centers available 3rd - 4th so Erving could be moved around.
MWil23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wukusimw wrote:
Free's up some valuable cap for Schwartz, Gip, WR and maybe hopefully another defender. He's one of the best when healthy, but even then centers in the 1st round are a waste.

Seems like there are some good centers available 3rd - 4th so Erving could be moved around.

If Erving isn't good enough to play CENTER for us, then I want him gone. He has minimal value anywhere else on this roster IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gone. I would be shocked if he stayed. Lets see if the Erving pick ends up being a smart move.

Peace!!!

Sig By ReggieCamp
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
wukusimw wrote:

If Erving isn't good enough to play CENTER for us, then I want him gone. He has minimal value anywhere else on this roster IMO.

After one year? I'm confident, though. They gave Andre Smith a lot of tough love and got him together, we had absolutely NO ONE that could to such on this last staff, also watch for Bitonio to get back to his rookie level or better.

My opinion, there are a lot of guys on our roster that are going to benefit greatly from tough love and accountability.
wukusimw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
wukusimw wrote:

Well if he epically fails at C and we have no backup it could be a disaster like '14. Erving could compete with Greco and Pasztor for the RG spot or take over at T if there is an injury.
zelbell

Location: Smack on the K-Love and Lindor sigs, Rammy on the Urban sig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wukusimw wrote:
MWil23 wrote:
wukusimw wrote:

Well if he epically fails at C and we have no backup it could be a disaster like '14. Erving could compete with Greco and Pasztor for the RG spot or take over at T if there is an injury.
Erving should never.....EVER....play tackle on an NFL offensive line

2016 Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
Adopt A Brown: Josh Gordon
JammerHammer21 wrote:
(It's impossible to deny how good OSU has been Laughing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: