You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

merriman

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: merriman Reply with quote

"Shawne Merriman is becoming a monster at linebacker for the Chargers. He's got seven sacks now, is a great fit in the 3-4, and is the best rookie [defensive player] that I've seen." courtesy a scout from ESPN.com

i know a lot of guys here were really high on merriman (myslef included) and thought some ppl might want to hear how hes doing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really high on us drafting one of the top runningbacks. If that didnt work out I wanted the Vikes to pickup Merriman or Derrick Johnson. Both linebackers are tearing it up so far in their young careers. We really need a linebacker that can make a difference and Johnson and Merriman have been doing that for their teams. I wasnt so mad becasue my second favorite team drafted Merriman Very Happy , but id rather see him in purple. Mad With time Williamson will prove to be the right choice for the Vikings.
GoVikings988

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I was really high on us drafting one of the top runningbacks. If that didnt work out I wanted the Vikes to pickup Merriman or Derrick Johnson. Both linebackers are tearing it up so far in their young careers. We really neen a linebacker that can make a difference and Johnson and Merriman have been doing that for their teams. I wasnt so mad becasue my second favorite team drafted Merriman Very Happy , but id rather see him in purple. Mad With time Williamson will prove to be the right choice for the Vikings.

thats the guy i wanted, derrick johnson. i dont know that merriman wouldve done as well here in a 3-4, even though he couldve played de. but i really wanted to get johnson at 7 and then clayton at 18. i think that wouldve worked out great for us. i think johnson obviously wouldve been more valuble to us than james has been so far, and clayton would probably be our 3rd or 4th reciever like t will is. i just think that wouldve worked out much better for us. with the way our line has been, i dont know how much one of the top 3 backs wouldve helped, but it wouldntve been the #7 and 18 just to move up to get one.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Carnell Williams or Ronnie Brown. The Buccaneers and Dolphins Oline isnt proven and is full of young guys. They dont have the most talented offensive line but Williams and Brown still put up numbers Both backs are doing well because the Bucs and Fins dont give up on the running game, so they may have not fit in well with Tice and their inability to stick to the ground. After all the backs were off the boards I wanted the Vikes to pick up Johnson (not at 7 but trade down to 10-14) and at 18 pickup either James, Clayton, Matt Jones, or possibility Williamson being there at 18. Hell Derrick Johnson nearly fell to us 18, boy I was sweating while Johnson kept falling, then the Chiefs ripped my heart out when they announced their selection. Laughing Twisted Evil
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I see a lot of Charger games. You can basically see Merriman get better right in front of your eyes each week. He's already creating a presence on the field.

Like GoVikings said though, I doubt he'd fit our 4-3 scheeme. I guess we could move him around a whole lot, DE and sometimes LB in 4-3, and use him as a pass rushing LB in the times we play 3-4, but then again it seemes like we've been playing 3-4 to stop the run, so that kind of kills his pass rushing ability. Plus the genius defensive mind that Cotrell is, he'd probably bring him up slowly too.

PS: I still stand by my Mike Williams pick. Razz

D#######
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also pay close attention to the Chargers and Merriman is catching on strong and is making plays all over the place. It seems like wherever they put him he finds the quarterback and its lights out! I think he would do fine in a 4-3, put him on the weakside at let him blitz every play. Merriman is plenty big to take on Lineman and can run a 4.5 I belive, which is faster than a lot of NFL line backers. We would need our other two Lbs to focus on coverage Rolling Eyes but Merriman would getting so much pressure on the QB it wouldnt matter if their are open receivers.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoVikings988 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I was really high on us drafting one of the top runningbacks. If that didnt work out I wanted the Vikes to pickup Merriman or Derrick Johnson. Both linebackers are tearing it up so far in their young careers. We really neen a linebacker that can make a difference and Johnson and Merriman have been doing that for their teams. I wasnt so mad becasue my second favorite team drafted Merriman Very Happy , but id rather see him in purple. Mad With time Williamson will prove to be the right choice for the Vikings.

thats the guy i wanted, derrick johnson. i dont know that merriman wouldve done as well here in a 3-4, even though he couldve played de. but i really wanted to get johnson at 7 and then clayton at 18. i think that wouldve worked out great for us. i think johnson obviously wouldve been more valuble to us than james has been so far, and clayton would probably be our 3rd or 4th reciever like t will is. i just think that wouldve worked out much better for us. with the way our line has been, i dont know how much one of the top 3 backs wouldve helped, but it wouldntve been the #7 and 18 just to move up to get one.

That was my dream draft when it rooled around too. I was never on the 3 big-name RB bandwagon, but Johnson and Clayton I had always loved. Merriman was also a favorite of mine, I'm glad he is doin well. I dunno if I would say he is the best defensive rookie, because Odell Thurman is a beast, but Merriman seems pretty good.
Helter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah he's doing good ,would not have fit our sceme - derrick johnson is the guy I wanted us to draft and look at what he is doing ...

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
AND WHAT THAT IS REMAINS TO BE SEEN
SmootOperator08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odell thurman would've been nice also. hes having an amazing season with the bengals.
common cents

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if y'all remember but, i will say i was probably the biggest merriman @ 7 supporter on this site.

but, i will admit he may not have had the same huge impact with us as he has had with san diego but, w/ his amazing size-speed ratio i will garuntee he'd have had a big impact all the same.

man, he woulda looked scary in purple next to phat pat williams and kevin williams.

derrick johnson (my @ 7 option b) would've looked very good donning the horns as-well.

but as they say...hind-sight is always 20/20.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I also pay close attention to the Chargers and Merriman is catching on strong and is making plays all over the place. It seems like wherever they put him he finds the quarterback and its lights out! I think he would do fine in a 4-3, put him on the weakside at let him blitz every play. Merriman is plenty big to take on Lineman and can run a 4.5 I belive, which is faster than a lot of NFL line backers. We would need our other two Lbs to focus on coverage Rolling Eyes but Merriman would getting so much pressure on the QB it wouldnt matter if their are open receivers.

either at the combine or at Maryland's proday- he ran a 4.66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we would have been primed for the 3-4 Merriman would have fit well - I do like what James is doing though

WE ARE WHAT WE ARE
AND WHAT THAT IS REMAINS TO BE SEEN
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I personally wanted Merrimen, though I wasn't upset with the pick of Williamson. I think that he would have fit into a 4-3 defense just fine. Also he would have been an amazing third down or nickle pass rusher. However, I think that James is going to be amazing as well, he has shown some good signs for coming in late. However, I think that we probably got the best worth we could for the two picks. I was and am not particularly high on Clayton, and Matt Jones, while he is good now, would have been a major reach at 18. So I think that we took the two best picks for our team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha. I almost wish we would have gotten DJ at 7, James at 18, and Odell Thurman in round 2...The offense didnt need to be addressed as much at that time in my opinion. Next year though, I'm hoping for a running back.
Fiat2005

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Riddle. I get to watch Odell Thurman every week here in Cincy and he is a special player. I wanted Merriman so bad as a draft pick too. Our receivers are above average right now. We needed more defense at LB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: