Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
fat Tire come from CO right? I enjoy that one. And FL's Landshark is pretty darn good too. That and Tecate(obviously not an american brew) are all I drhink when we go on vacation every year to FL
Yeah Fat Tire is from CO, best in CO I think.

Fat Tire is brewed by New Belgium brewery in Fort Collins, CO. I would disagree that it's the best in CO, I don't even think it's the best New Belgium has to offer.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roboturner913 wrote:
Before that I had a comparison taste of two marzens - Paulauner and Samuel Adams' Oktoberfests. Loved them both. I think the Paulauner was a little better, but the Sam Adams color and flavor seems more true to the style.

Ummmm.......

Paulaner IS the style.

The style is defined by the six breweries of Munich that participate in Oktoberfest. Some of them get a little weird, Paulaner is the one that really makes the honest to goodness Marzen.

SA's is stronger and heavier, more flavorful. SA doesn't decoction lager like the German breweries do, which makes it a little more harsh yet flavorful.

You really notice it in the big mugs. SA takes some time, Paulaner goes down faster than water.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
i think Mr.Drew and some others might disagree with me, but i think that in general, california's microbrews taste way better than colorado's. i don't think they are as good as oregon's, but i think colorado's brews are just way overhyped.

I'm partial to the midwesterners; Capitol, New Glarus, Bells, Lakefront, Superior, Sprecher, East Side, Town Hall, Great Lakes, Goose Island.

You guys out west think that hops is weed; with the philosophy the more the better. I'm not the biggest fan of hop juice.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
gothman25 wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
the winter lager? that was good.

Sam Adams Winter Lager is far-and-away their best beer.

Disagreed, and I've tried well over a dozen of their beers. The Old Fezzewig is my favorite right now, I think. Honey Porter, Cherry Wheat, Octoberfest, and Double Bock are all better than Winter Lager too. I need to try their other imperials.

Not that I don't like Winter Lager. It's okay.

I think that their Red Ale, their Oktoberfest, and their Winter Lager are their best.

I guess if I had to pick one I'd pick their Oktoberfest.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roboturner913 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
gothman25 wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:

Disagreed, and I've tried well over a dozen of their beers. The Old Fezzewig is my favorite right now, I think. Honey Porter, Cherry Wheat, Octoberfest, and Double Bock are all better than Winter Lager too. I need to try their other imperials.

Not that I don't like Winter Lager. It's okay.

They make a dunkel now that is freaking amazing. I've only had it once and haven't seen it since, but it's supposedly one of their regulars and they make it year round.

Spaten's Dunkel is heavenly IMO.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
fat Tire come from CO right? I enjoy that one. And FL's Landshark is pretty darn good too. That and Tecate(obviously not an american brew) are all I drhink when we go on vacation every year to FL
Yeah Fat Tire is from CO, best in CO I think.

Fat Tire is brewed by New Belgium brewery in Fort Collins, CO. I would disagree that it's the best in CO, I don't even think it's the best New Belgium has to offer.

I think that Oskar Blues Old Chub is the best. Good stuff. Lotta subtle flavors. The only domestic that can pass for a legit Scottish IMO.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchor Christmas Ale 2009

As Oktoberfest season is now in the rear view mirror, Christmas/Winter season is apon us. Anchor's Christmas Ale has always been one of my favorites every year. Each year the recipe is changed, so each year brings something new. It is a spiced beer, an ale that uses various spices in addition to the typical beer ingredients.

I've felt that they were in a bit of a slump the last few years with the Christmas Ale. The first year I had it (~1999-2000) was a real good incarnation, it tasted like a gingerbread cookie. The last few years I've felt that they've drifted into excessive spicyness, especially the year (2006-2007?) where it had a distinct spruce/juniper flavor.

This year it is roaring back. The spice has been dialed back a great deal. The underlying beer is a very dark sweet brown ale (a light hint of roasted malt (stout) as well). There are some hints of a smokey malt, possibly via a Scottish Ale yeast. The hopping is minimal largely replaced by the spice.

Nugmeg and Ginger are the dominant spice flavors, perhaps some cinnamon. It didn't capture the gingerbread cookie flavor as it had in years past, but it a very festive beer. A good winter night by the fire beer.

If you have had the years past and been turned off by the excessive spiciness, give this years' version a try, it isn't nearly as overbearing, this is an excellent beer.

Grade: 8.1

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

You guys out west think that hops is weed; with the philosophy the more the better. I'm not the biggest fan of hop juice.

rofl, that's so true.

one of my favorite beers. i'm a hops fiend.

RaiderX with the assist^^
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I bought a growler of Rogue Dead Guy Ale yesterday. Way too pricey if you ask me, but it was a really good beer. I really like Maibock, and this one didn't disappoint on that. But the growler cost $18.99, and that's way more than I'm accustomed to paying for what comes out to barely more than 5 beers. I might make an exception on that if it were a "big" beer, but this is not.

It's a nice orange-caramel color with medium body and fairly slight carbonation. Very sweet malty flavor; standard for a Maibock, with decent balance on the hops (though they aren't really prominent).

I'd give it about an 8, and that's if I'm trying to ignore the price. For that kind of money my expectations would be higher, but it was really good and if they sold it for $10 a six-pack, I'd probably make a habit of buying it.

49er guy49 wrote:
boondock wrote:
gothman25 wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:

It's up there, but I prefer their Octoberfest just a bit more.

the october fest is good, and the white ale is good too.

I didn't really like their White Ale when I tried it last Winter . . . I should give it another shot.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
My friend and I bought a growler of Rogue Dead Guy Ale yesterday. Way too pricey if you ask me, but it was a really good beer. I really like Maibock, and this one didn't disappoint on that. But the growler cost $18.99, and that's way more than I'm accustomed to paying for what comes out to barely more than 5 beers. I might make an exception on that if it were a "big" beer, but this is not.

It's a nice orange-caramel color with medium body and fairly slight carbonation. Very sweet malty flavor; standard for a Maibock, with decent balance on the hops (though they aren't really prominent).

I'd give it about an 8, and that's if I'm trying to ignore the price. For that kind of money my expectations would be higher, but it was really good and if they sold it for $10 a six-pack, I'd probably make a habit of buying it..

Confused

Hmmm, that is what it goes for here.....

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:
i think Mr.Drew and some others might disagree with me, but i think that in general, california's microbrews taste way better than colorado's. i don't think they are as good as oregon's, but i think colorado's brews are just way overhyped.

I'm partial to the midwesterners; Capitol, New Glarus, Bells, Lakefront, Superior, Sprecher, East Side, Town Hall, Great Lakes, Goose Island.

Where does Founders out of Grand Rapids MI rate with you? I like everything I've tried from them . . . their Breakfast Stout in particular is really highly regarded.

Waldo wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

I'd give it about an 8, and that's if I'm trying to ignore the price. For that kind of money my expectations would be higher, but it was really good and if they sold it for $10 a six-pack, I'd probably make a habit of buying it..

Confused

Hmmm, that is what it goes for here.....

Well, the store I was at is generally a bit expensive (okay, let me rephrase that . . . it always costs too much) but their selection is the best I've ever seen.

Hopefully there are places around here I can find it for less . . .

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

49er guy49

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

I'd give it about an 8, and that's if I'm trying to ignore the price. For that kind of money my expectations would be higher, but it was really good and if they sold it for $10 a six-pack, I'd probably make a habit of buying it.

49er guy49 wrote:
boondock wrote:
gothman25 wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:

It's up there, but I prefer their Octoberfest just a bit more.

the october fest is good, and the white ale is good too.

I didn't really like their White Ale when I tried it last Winter . . . I should give it another shot.

It is like a blue moon with more hopps and less of the sweet flavor. I like it, but i like all kinds of beer.

Gridirongreat#9 rocks^^^^
Go Niners!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psEd-bSDNZI
gothman25

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Well, the store I was at is generally a bit expensive (okay, let me rephrase that . . . it always costs too much) but their selection is the best I've ever seen.

From where are you getting your Dead Guy?

The one and only Kiltman!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned." -- William Congreve
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49er guy49 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

It is like a blue moon with more hopps and less of the sweet flavor. I like it, but i like all kinds of beer.

And some weird juniper flavor that I recall having been a little strange and distracting.

gothman25 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

From where are you getting your Dead Guy?

This place called Red Wagon in an upscale suburb . . . it's got pretty much anything you'd ever want, but it's all overpriced because the clientele consists mostly of people making close to six figures.

MrDrew wrote:

boondock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading to a Great Lakes Brewery sampling party after work today. I'll let everyone know my thoughts.

I've been interested in tasting their supply for a while, but it's never been in my area and I've heard of them on the net. The owner of a local pub I frequent met one of the Brewmasters a few months ago and they decided to do a tasting for several of the bars and distributions in the area at the bar. Since I'm a regular I got an invite.

Sweet!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 54 of 100

Jump to: