Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slavutych ---- awesome
Golden Draakt --- awesome
Oblon ---- awesome
Beck's --- one of my favs
Amstel light --- awesome
Michelob Amber Bach --- suprisingly awesome
Cleveland Dawg Pound Brown (at the Powerhouse in the flats) --- one of the best beers i've ever had
AllFalcons

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you much about great beers because lets just say I don't have access to them. But I go for cheap ones like Corona and Bud.
However i can tell you that Natty Ice sucks big time. My frinds spent there money on that [inappropriate/removed] and it was TERRIBLE.

JGoldiscool on the sig!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Best beer I've ever had:
Boulevard Brewery's Lunar Ale
I'd definitely grade it around an 8.5. I can't get enough of it and they don't sell it in Springfield. I have to drive to Kansas City to get it, so whenever I go to a Chiefs game, I get some Gates BBQ & chase it with a few of these bad boys. My own personal nirvana.

Awesome description, if I see it somewhere I'll definitely pick it up. Not so sure that plato is going to mean much to most people (scientific description of how "heavy" a beer is, basically an alternate scale for specific gravity used by brewers). I wonder if they use some of the Scottish Ale yeast strains that have a natural smokey flavor. Lesser used hops, it's good they didn't use American Cascade hops, which a extremely powerful flavoring hops that mute the rest of the beer. 15 IBU's is very light hop usage, about 3x a can of yellow fizzy stuff, 1/8th of an IPA.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saintsdynasty wrote:
Waldo wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
PackerFanDan wrote:
That's not bad. Aren't they a lot stronger than the mainstream cheap beers though? A lot of calories?

Depends on what you are looking for. You can find 80 calories and 3% ABV and 1000 calories and 11% ABV. If the whole point were getting hammered, the Beast blows their doors off hands down. Though I do drink a lot, 5 days a week I drink a beer or two in the evening, which does not faze me in the least bit unless I've got a powerful one.

My favorite beer of all is about 4% ABV, about 120 calories, very expensive, yet worth every penny, I buy a bottle every time I see it in the store, and have thus far located 1 bar, and 4 liquor stores in the city of Atlanta that carry it.

and which might that be?

Innis & Gunn

My father buys that for his scotch.
I got about 48 bottles of them sitting around my house, in various fridges.
They are off limits to me ha ha, nearly was killed for attempting to drink one.

Steal one once, leave him a $5 (about what they cost per bottle). You surely won't be disappointed. I usually don't think the high dollar beers are worth it, that one is.

It is basically made like Scotch, minus the distillation. Single malt barley, aged in oak. The malt they use is far superior to what you find in practically every other beer. Exceptional stuff.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Sat May 02, 2009 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Awesome description, if I see it somewhere I'll definitely pick it up. Not so sure that plato is going to mean much to most people (scientific description of how "heavy" a beer is, basically an alternate scale for specific gravity used by brewers). I wonder if they use some of the Scottish Ale yeast strains that have a natural smokey flavor. Lesser used hops, it's good they didn't use American Cascade hops, which a extremely powerful flavoring hops that mute the rest of the beer. 15 IBU's is very light hop usage, about 3x a can of yellow fizzy stuff, 1/8th of an IPA.

I can't take credit for the description, I just pulled it off their website (I provided the link in my previous post). They have a description that detailed for every beer they make on that website. Every single beer they make has a very distinct flavor. Some are a little over powering, like their Bully Porter. It's a beer that draws a lot of comparisons to Guiness...only, it's a helluva lot better. Much smoother, a slightly richer flavor that ends very dry. Guiness drinkers would absolutely love it. They ship out as far as St. Louis, MO, but are a continually growing brewery. Give it another 5 or 6 years and I wouldn't be surprised to see them shipping nationwide. That's how quickly they're growing in popularity. I think I love the company just as much as their products.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad to see this thread. My wife likes to call me a "beer snob", but I prefer connoisseur.

Since moving to Colorado about 2 1/2 years ago, I've been trying to make my way around to all the micro breweries. So far I've hit about 8. I do try and drink all the locals I can, so if you need a review on a CO beer, I'll be glad to give one, or go and try it.

Since stouts are love/hate around here, that's where I'll start.

Brewer: Bristol Brewing, Colorado Spring, CO
Name: Winter Warlock
Style: Seasonal, Oatmeal Stout

Technical:
Bristol Brewing wrote:
Beer Specifications
Style: Foreign Style Stout
Color: Black
Body: Full
Malts: 2 Row, Chocolate, Roast, Carapils, 120
Hops: Perle, Cascade
Alcohol: 7.3% ABV
IBUs: (est.): 28

Me:
The sad thing is that it's only available from Oct, till it runs out, which is usually Mar/Apr time. It pours black, with thick tan head. They serve it on nitro at the brewery, which is the way to have it. Very nice chocolate and roasted oatmeal sent. A roasted malt flavor, typical of a stout, with hints of chocolate, coffee, and a heavy influence from the oatmeal. A very smooth stout, with nice lacing all the way through a pint. One of my favorite stouts.

My rating: 9

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, a thread about beer, really glad to see it.

My Favorite Brewing Companies

Lagunitas (Hop Stoopid is amazing)

Stone (You'll never have a beer quite like their Double Bastard, check out their lineup)

Rogue Ales (love the imperial porter)

Moylan's

and my local favorite that I can almost guarantee no one on here has ever had, Mt. Tallac Brewing company, everything he makes is ridiculously good (he has a masters in chemistry from berkley, for what it's worth), the porter is my favorite (9-10%), then the list goes, blonde, pale ale, and amber. all above 7%.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of west coast companies (especially oregon), i gotta make my way out to the east to see what you guys got going on, any suggestions waldo?

side note: I'm so pissed right now because I should be at the Booneville Beer Festival today, but i just don't have the money for it.

and just a fun memo from the guys at stone brewing company

RaiderX with the assist^^
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
As you can see, I'm a big fan of west coast companies (especially oregon), i gotta make my way out to the east to see what you guys got going on, any suggestions waldo?

If you'll take brewery suggestions from somebody other than Waldo.....

Colorado:
Avery
Lefthand
Osker Blues and Grill
Bristol
Ska
New Belgium
Boulder Beer

Maryland:
Dog Fish Head
Flying Dog

And now I draw a blank for some reason.......

Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:

LOL, it was a bottle cap on the top of a Stone's Arrogant Bastard where I got to calling American pee beer fizzy yellow beer.

Depends on where you're going. I think the midwest has some solid breweries. Out east the Brooklyn brewing company is solid, as is Dale's. Down south the Duck Rabbit brewery has been a favorite of mine, Abita and Peachtree are drinkable but kinda mediocre. The craft brewing movement hasn't yet made big inroads into the south, there aren't a whole lot of breweries, and there are only a handful that hold a candle to some of the good ones from the midwest (New Glarus and Bells are awesome) or out west.

One I wish that I could find more often here is Bert Grant's beers. Over the years I've had some very solid selections from them.

I see above, forgot about Flying Dog, I'm a big fan of their stuff.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:

If you'll take brewery suggestions from somebody other than Waldo.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing , i only mentioned waldo cause i was talking about east coast brews and i figured he'd know cause he's from the atl (or at least that's what his location says). i really didn't mean to imply i only wanted suggestions only from waldo though.
MrDrew wrote:

Colorado:
Avery
Lefthand
Osker Blues and Grill
Bristol
Ska
New Belgium
Boulder Beer

Maryland:
Dog Fish Head
Flying Dog

And now I draw a blank for some reason.......

i actually used to live out in colorado, but unfortunately at the time my pallet was that of a schoolgirl's. i used to be a big new belgium fan, then i just got tired of it, i'm not saying it's bad, but i've definitely had better. i'm a fan of avery, especially that out of bounds they make and i've heard nothing but good things about lefthand's milk stout, it's a shame they don't distribute to california, i've also heard great things about flying dog but that's about all i've heard about from the suggestions you listed, so i'll definitely keep an eye out for those companies.

that winter warlock oatmeal stout looks pretty darn good from bristol (basing it off of the stats). do you know if they bottle and distribute in california?

thanks for the colorado suggestions, i'm probably going to be making my way out to the GABF this year so i'll definitely keep an eye out for those.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
that winter warlock oatmeal stout looks pretty darn good from bristol (basing it off of the stats). do you know if they bottle and distribute in california?

thanks for the colorado suggestions, i'm probably going to be making my way out to the GABF this year so i'll definitely keep an eye out for those.

I know Bristol is available in some places in CA. I had seen it when I was still living out there, but didn't try it till I moved to CO. You may have to find a specialty wine/beer store to get it though. Depending on what area you're in, I might be able to recommend a spot.

Flying Dog is pretty easy to get in CA. They used to be out of Denver, but, moved the brewery to Maryland. Vons/Safeway usually has a couple of their beers. Road Dog, a Scottish porter, is the most common, and my favorite by them. You can also get Tire Bite Kolsch fairly easy in CA. Any good beer store should have Dog Fish Head. Their IPA's are some of the best you'll ever find.

Guess I'll see you at the GABF this year. There's no way I'm missing it for a third year in a row.

Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Up:

Rogue Mocha Porter

The Rogue brewery is Oregon has a pretty solid lineup all around, one of my favorites is their Mocha Porter. It isn't overly strong, but it is not a weak beer (5.1% ABV). The flavor is powerful and lasting. If you consider Guinness strong, this beer is not for you. This is a very good enjoy a beer beer, I don't think that I could sit and pound them, but it isn't a sipping beer either. Though it is a dark beer, it is a porter, not a stout, the primary difference being that stouts use roasted barley for color and flavor, the sugar is burned and unfermentable, porters use chocolate malt, dark with heavily caramelized sugar, yet still fermentable. Chocolate malt give porters a chocolaty/smokey finish, making them distinctly different from stouts, though some brewers blur the line between the two, Rogue is not one of them, this is distinctly a porter.

What I like the most is how well rounded the malt flavor is. It starts sweet, and has a long lasting flavor of the chocolate malt that gives a Porter it's flavor. The flavor is strong and long lasting. This beer has a very good aftertaste.

What I don't like as much is the hopping of this beer. Like most west coast US beers a healthy quantity of hops is a must, this one is no different. I think just a little too much flavoring hops were used, I feel that hops flavoring is unnecessary for Porters, many good porters only have mild hop bittering, but it is not distracting here, the malt is powerful enough to counteract it.

15% less hops and I think that this one would be one of my all time favorites, as is it is very good, I get it fairly often (it is usually the best porter in the store, and porter is one of my favorite styles). Rogue's offering in the porter category is overall a very good beer.

Grade: 6.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigRam13

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good beer!! Still drunk from drinking it couple of hours ago.

Best beer in Finland. Wish I would have one right here right now!

"McNair drops, throws right side to Dyson, he dives for the endzone... Didnt make it! He came up 1 yard short."
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southampton Publick House Altbier

This beer from the northeastern US is a very good example of the style. It won a bronze at the 2002 GABF. This is pounding beer, once I start I can't stop drinking this one, it is so good and goes down so fast. An altbier is an old German style that uses Ale yeast, but has a cold aging period similar to a lager, resulting in a smoother beer. This is a bolder flavored but similar tasting beer to American yellow fizzy beer, as if this is what they strive to be, but fall dreadfully short. It is middle in color, a very nice copper/red.

What I like is the malt flavor. This beer is slightly sweet and the flavor of the lighter malts is stunning. Just like an Irish red, it seems there is just a hint of roasted barley to give it the color and wonderful flavor. There is no discernible hop flavoring, and only fairly light bittering, this is a very malty beer that is very smooth.

What I don't like. Not much, I dunno, that I run out so quick. This is the best example of this style that I've had, I've never had one that was better to compare it to.

This is not a beer for hopheads, but if you are a big fan of malty beers, definitely get your hands on this one. At first you may be put off by the characteristic flavor of big american beer, but it is much stronger and more pronounced and very good in this presentation, you almost have an ah ha moment, where you realize this was in fact what the macrobrews were going for, but failed miserably.

Grade: 8.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

You may have to find a specialty wine/beer store to get it though. Depending on what area you're in, I might be able to recommend a spot.

I spend a lot of time in tahoe, but as of recent i've been living in sac and i'm kind of new to the area so i haven't found a great beer store yet.

MrDrew wrote:

Guess I'll see you at the GABF this year. There's no way I'm missing it for a third year in a row.

maybe i'll sport my nnamdi jersey so you'll be able to pick me out of the crowd Laughing

Waldo wrote:
Rogue Mocha Porter

nice write up bud.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 4 of 100

Jump to: