Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
packrules7896


Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 1256
Location: Rose Barracks Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all need to travel to Hersching, Germany. Just outside of Munich. It's the home of Kloster Andechs.



It's brewed at a monastary on a huge hill. Monks have been breing it since the 1400s I believe. Here's a picture of the monastary:


Now, about the beer. I have only tried the Doppelback Dunkel.....extra dark. With mere 18.6% alcohol, I was pretty goddamn tanked after two litres. The "light" beer contains 11.5% alc. The dark beer looks like a coca-cola, and goes down just as smooth as one. It's dangerous, something so easy and smooth to drink, but has that much alcohol. It's amazing. So go taste the spirit of the monks and try Kloster Andechs!!
_________________


Jamison. on the sig! thanks man!

What does the fox say?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17510
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just something that sounds great about drinking beer made in a monastery.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20163
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go on a brewery tour of Europe. That would be amazing.

I also found a place where I can buy Chimay. But it's like $11 for a bottle! If I'm going to do that, I'm going to need an occasion for it.

I'm getting really excited to bottle the beer I brewed last Thursday. Last time I brewed I skipped right past the racking stage and I think I might do it again; why not? Alternatively I may bottle a few of them now and rack the rest of it for a few days just so I can get an idea of how it's going to turn out.

It's going to be a weird beer. It's an "Oktoberfest" brewed with lager yeast at ale temperature. Amber malts (legitimate grains here) with Munich liquid malt extract and Williamette hops both for flavoring and bittering (I think it was Williamette anyway). Unfortunately the brewing did not at all go smoothly. First off, I kind of eyeballed the water measurement (ridiculous mistake). Secondly, I think I got the water a bit too hot while steeping the amber grains, so the beer might have gotten some tannin in it. Third and probably worst, it boiled over shortly after we mixed in the LME, so as a result we have only 4 gallons of raw beer (as opposed to the intended 5 gallons) and the hops are obviously going to come through stronger than they should, which is made worse by the fact that I can't lager it.

Either way I'm excited.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23271
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I have had a lot of new beers that I really liked.

- Ranger IPA- Very good beer. It was a smooth beer with a lot of flavor. I was very pleased with it. I would buy it again

- Sierra Nevada Summerfest- I really liked this beer. It went down real smooth and had good flavor. But it was nothing special. For the price I will not buy this again unless its on sale.

- Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard- $2 pints at a bar got me to try the next few beers. I finally got to drink Arrogant Bastard (as I had only tried a buddies before) and I loved it. It was a great beer with a high alcohol content. I will be buying this a lot more often.

- Two Hearted- Fantastic beer. I loved it. I had never heard of it before, but I will gladly buy this if I find it in a liquor store. I was extremely happy with this.

-Magic Hat #9- Eh, it wasn't bad, but I did not enjoy it too much. I drank it but I would not order it ever again. If someone gave one to me I would drink it, but I would prefer not to.

- Alpha King- Solid beer. Nothing special or spectacular in my mind, but I enjoyed drinking it. I don't think I will ever buy it, but I would not argue against having it again.

- New Belgiums Fat Tire Amber Ale- I really liked this beer. I had never had it before. I would drink it again and probably buy it if it was on sale. Just an enjoyable beer.

- Dirty Hellen- Another good beer. My buddy bought a 6 pack and gave me one and I liked it.


Overall I am not good at reviews, but I am very picky so if I like these beers almost anyone should too.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20163
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
- Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard- $2 pints at a bar got me to try the next few beers. I finally got to drink Arrogant Bastard (as I had only tried a buddies before) and I loved it. It was a great beer with a high alcohol content. I will be buying this a lot more often.

They have pints of Arrogant Bastard for $2 at your local bar? They can't possibly be making a profit on that; six packs cost more than that at the grocery store.

Quote:
- Two Hearted- Fantastic beer. I loved it. I had never heard of it before, but I will gladly buy this if I find it in a liquor store. I was extremely happy with this.

Bells Brewery is one of my favorites. A six pack of Two Hearted Ale is probably going to run you $11 or so, though. You should look into more of their offerings if you get a chance. It's all pretty high-quality and if you like wheat ales, their Oberon is probably the best I've ever had. The citrus takes a lot more of a backseat than it does on macro witbiers like Blue Moon or Shock Top, so it actually tastes like a beer that has citrus flavors, not like OJ mixed with beer.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23271
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
- Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard- $2 pints at a bar got me to try the next few beers. I finally got to drink Arrogant Bastard (as I had only tried a buddies before) and I loved it. It was a great beer with a high alcohol content. I will be buying this a lot more often.

They have pints of Arrogant Bastard for $2 at your local bar? They can't possibly be making a profit on that; six packs cost more than that at the grocery store.

Quote:
- Two Hearted- Fantastic beer. I loved it. I had never heard of it before, but I will gladly buy this if I find it in a liquor store. I was extremely happy with this.

Bells Brewery is one of my favorites. A six pack of Two Hearted Ale is probably going to run you $11 or so, though. You should look into more of their offerings if you get a chance. It's all pretty high-quality and if you like wheat ales, their Oberon is probably the best I've ever had. The citrus takes a lot more of a backseat than it does on macro witbiers like Blue Moon or Shock Top, so it actually tastes like a beer that has citrus flavors, not like OJ mixed with beer.


Yeah Tuesday nights is $2 pints and there was 40 different beers to choose from and Arrogant Bastard was one. It was amazing. I will be going back there quite often

I am going to look into more Bells beers. That was the only Bells on the beer list at the bar, but I will definetely look for more of them at the liquor store.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20163
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
- Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard- $2 pints at a bar got me to try the next few beers. I finally got to drink Arrogant Bastard (as I had only tried a buddies before) and I loved it. It was a great beer with a high alcohol content. I will be buying this a lot more often.

They have pints of Arrogant Bastard for $2 at your local bar? They can't possibly be making a profit on that; six packs cost more than that at the grocery store.

Quote:
- Two Hearted- Fantastic beer. I loved it. I had never heard of it before, but I will gladly buy this if I find it in a liquor store. I was extremely happy with this.

Bells Brewery is one of my favorites. A six pack of Two Hearted Ale is probably going to run you $11 or so, though. You should look into more of their offerings if you get a chance. It's all pretty high-quality and if you like wheat ales, their Oberon is probably the best I've ever had. The citrus takes a lot more of a backseat than it does on macro witbiers like Blue Moon or Shock Top, so it actually tastes like a beer that has citrus flavors, not like OJ mixed with beer.


Yeah Tuesday nights is $2 pints and there was 40 different beers to choose from and Arrogant Bastard was one. It was amazing. I will be going back there quite often

I am going to look into more Bells beers. That was the only Bells on the beer list at the bar, but I will definetely look for more of them at the liquor store.

They have Arrogant Bastard on tap at one bar around here. Unfortunately that place is closing down come October, especially crappy considering it's got one of the most impressive tap selections I've ever seen.

Of Bells beers, I've had Oberon, Two Hearted, Pale Ale, Porter, Cream Stout, Kalamazoo Stout, Expedition Stout (crazy big beer), Batch 9000 (crazier bigger beer), Third Coast Beer (Golen Ale), Winter White, Amber, Best Brown, Sparkling Ale (Tripel), and Oktoberfest. The only ones I didn't really care for are Amber and Third Coast Beer (not to be confused with Third Coast Old Ale, a barleywine which I haven't had), but there's some personal bias there due to the fact that I don't particularly like ambers or golden ales. They're good examples of their respective styles.

That Batch 9000 though, man. That's the heaviest beer I've ever encountered. It's a double chocolate stout that's 12.5% alcohol. Unfortunately it's quite possibly not available outside Michigan, and if it is, it will only be around for a little while longer because I don't think they are going to make it again. Plus it's $18 for a six pack (I had it on tap at a local restaurant).
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17510
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from buying beer. Got a 6-pack of Victory Pils, and a single bottle of Left Hand Pils. It's hot, and a Pils just sounded good. I also bought something a little different. There was a 7oz bottle of Rogue's Imperial Red for just under $5. I decided to take a shot, because I've never even heard of a brewery doing an imperial red. I'll have the reviews up as they come along.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20163
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I'm getting really excited to bottle the beer I brewed last Thursday. Last time I brewed I skipped right past the racking stage and I think I might do it again; why not? Alternatively I may bottle a few of them now and rack the rest of it for a few days just so I can get an idea of how it's going to turn out.

It's going to be a weird beer. It's an "Oktoberfest" brewed with lager yeast at ale temperature. Amber malts (legitimate grains here) with Munich liquid malt extract and Williamette hops both for flavoring and bittering (I think it was Williamette anyway). Unfortunately the brewing did not at all go smoothly. First off, I kind of eyeballed the water measurement (ridiculous mistake). Secondly, I think I got the water a bit too hot while steeping the amber grains, so the beer might have gotten some tannin in it. Third and probably worst, it boiled over shortly after we mixed in the LME, so as a result we have only 4 gallons of raw beer (as opposed to the intended 5 gallons) and the hops are obviously going to come through stronger than they should, which is made worse by the fact that I can't lager it.

Either way I'm excited.

I went ahead and racked my beer to the carboy today. Good thing I did, because it could definitely stand to sit for a few weeks; it looks pretty murky. Smells nice though, and the color is pretty much right except for its opacity. I'll probably take a look in a week and see how it's doing. Either way I'm at least two weeks away from drinking it.

MrDrew wrote:
There was a 7oz bottle of Rogue's Imperial Red for just under $5. I decided to take a shot, because I've never even heard of a brewery doing an imperial red. I'll have the reviews up as they come along.

That is a pretty weird beer to make an imperial version of. It's usually IPA or Stout or something that's already on one extreme of the spectrum. I'm sure Rogue won't let you down though. I've only tried a couple of their beers (Chocolate Stout & Dead Guy) because they're pretty expensive out here, but man they were both good.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 23009
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing my Sierra Nevada sampling I just bought a 6-pack of Thorpedo-IPA. I must say I'm not sure how much I really like it. I'm ok with the IPA style, not my favorite but it's ok. The one I've had is pretty good but I'm not sure I could drink more than one at a time, maybe because of the high alcohol content. I'll continue to apprise you on my thoughts over the next couple of days...
_________________


Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17510
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XS Imperial Red Ale



Brewer: Rogue Ales (Newport, OR)
Style: American Strong Ale

Technical:

Rogue Ales wrote:
12 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Crystal, Black, Munich, Chocolate and rolled oats.
Hops: Willamette, Cascade and Chinook.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

Specs:
19.4 PLATO
58 IBU
76 AA
47 Lovibond


My Review:
Pours a deep reddish-brown, with a small beige head. Scents are heavy bread malts, dark fruits, and light bitter hop scent. Taste was a syrupy bready malt, bitter chocolate, dark fruits (Raisin?), light spice, and a light trace of bitter hops. Body was syrup thick.

An interesting beer. It came in a 7oz bottle, which was different. It was close to a porter in taste, with the bitterness of the chocolate malt, but had more of the light bread taste. Good, but not as good as I hoped out of a $4.79 7oz bottle.

My Score: 7.5
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 23009
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Continuing my Sierra Nevada sampling I just bought a 6-pack of Thorpedo-IPA. I must say I'm not sure how much I really like it. I'm ok with the IPA style, not my favorite but it's ok. The one I've had is pretty good but I'm not sure I could drink more than one at a time, maybe because of the high alcohol content. I'll continue to apprise you on my thoughts over the next couple of days...


So I tried another bottle, and I must say I enjoyed it alot more than the first one. I'm not sure if it's because this one had been on the refrigerator a while and chilled properly where as the first I drank after getting home from the store, or what, but it was a pretty good beer. Still not sure I'd make a habit or purchasing it, but not a bad beer.
_________________


Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17510
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prima Pils



Brewer: Victory Brewing Company (Downingtown, PA)
Style: Pilsener Lager

Technical:
Victory Brewing wrote:
Malts: 2 row German pilsner malt
Hops: German and Czech whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 5.3%


My Review:
Poured a clear pale gold (Surprised?), with a 1/2 finger tall white head that disappeared quick. Some spots of lacing. Scents of malt, pepper, citrus, floral, and grass. Taste was dominated by the hops. There was a trace of malt, pepper, floral, grass, and bitter. It left a long bitter after taste. Body was light.

If you want to know what different flavors can come from hops, this is a good one to try. Otherwise it's not a great example of a pilsner. It was dominated by the hops, in a harsh way. It wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a light malty beer, with a bitter finish, and got hops. I was pretty disappointed after reading all of the reviews, and seeing how high it was rated.

My Score: 7.0
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20163
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Continuing my Sierra Nevada sampling I just bought a 6-pack of Thorpedo-IPA. I must say I'm not sure how much I really like it. I'm ok with the IPA style, not my favorite but it's ok. The one I've had is pretty good but I'm not sure I could drink more than one at a time, maybe because of the high alcohol content. I'll continue to apprise you on my thoughts over the next couple of days...


So I tried another bottle, and I must say I enjoyed it alot more than the first one. I'm not sure if it's because this one had been on the refrigerator a while and chilled properly where as the first I drank after getting home from the store, or what, but it was a pretty good beer. Still not sure I'd make a habit or purchasing it, but not a bad beer.

Yeah I just had Torpedo for the first time the other day. It's okay, like 6.0 good. It's quite cheap, though, so that's good.

IPA is a beer I generally want to have at a lower temperature compared to more malty beers like stouts, porters, or brown ales, but ale is rarely at its best when pulled straight from a refrigerator. Lagers should be served colder, but ales are probably best no lower than 50 degrees.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23271
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Stone Brewery Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale tonight, I am very excited to try it.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 67 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group