Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Flying Dog's Garde Dog is very good as well. Different, but not strong or heavy.

For wheat beers I would also suggest Weihenstephaner, Hacker-Pshorr, and Paulaner. All of them make excellent versions, that are probably a smidge cheaper than those made by domestic micros.

That whole "German Purity Law" thing that is frequently quoted on bottles..... It actually had nothing to do with beer quality initially, that was not its intent. The German Purity Law made the manufacture and sale of Wheat Beer illegal. Uless you are above the law, which Royalty was, thus Royally owned breweries could produce Wheat Beer without competition, thus filling the king's coffers. Weihenstephaner advertisises itself as previosuly being the Royal Brewery of Germany, hence they have been making wheat beers since the early Renaissance. And it shows, as Weihenstephaner is generally considered the best Hefe-Weizen maker out there.

Speaking of Paulaner, I just bought Salvator, their "double bock" (yes, they actually call it that instead of a dopplebock for some reason). It's good stuff. I'll try to do a review tonight. On the same day, my roommate came home with Erie Brewing Co.'s Golden Fleece Maibock. Now we have a fridge full of heavy bocks, haha.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a 22 oz bottle of Rogue Chocolate Stout today. $6.99 for the damn thing, so they better be right about it being world class.

Rogue Chocolate Stout - Served in a goblet, pictured below (this is not a stock photo; this is actually my glass):

Appearance - Deep, deep black. Entirely opaque with a tan head. No lacing, though.

Nose - Heavy chocolate scent. I believe they've added some chocolate flavoring besides that bestowed by the malts because it's really pronounced. It's also got a deep roasty scent to it and the alcohol shows up a bit too (a little surprising because it's only 6%).

Flavor - Intriguing. It's more roasty than chocolaty. They used oatmeal in the mash so you also get some of that oatmeal stout type of flavor in there, as well. Coffee in the background, a bold kind of earthy coffee flavor. Can't really detect any esters or fruit flavors. It's more dry than sweet, although the flavors are more pronounced at warmer temperatures. It's probably around 62 degrees as I write this due to the fact that it's hot as hell in here.

Mouthfeel - Thick, though not so thick as like a breakfast stout, certainly not as thin as a Guiness. It's also quite silky due to the oatmeal. The carbonation is pretty perfectly balanced, not too prickly nor too faint.

Finish - It does not really quench thirst of course, but that's not what stouts typically do anyway. It leaves you with a nice warming sensation although it's not providing me much of a buzz as of yet, despite being done with most of the first glass.

For $6.99 I wouldn't say it was really a great value, though I'm sure you west coast guys can get it for a lot cheaper (Rogue is outrageously expensive in the Midwest). It is a pretty damn good beer, though, but this probably wasn't the best day to try it. It's more of a Winter beer. The best part of it is the aroma, which really belies the relatively dry flavor of this beer.

Overall - 7.75

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that you talk about how much it cost, and have unopened bills sitting next to it on the counter. At least I'm not the only one with good priorities around here...

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to go out and buy beer for a World Cup Party/ Cookout. Anybody got any good summer beers that'd be available in Virginia

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up buying Sierra Nevada Summerfest, I'll give my thoughts later, but I'm confident I'm gonna like it.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
I love the fact that you talk about how much it cost, and have unopened bills sitting next to it on the counter. At least I'm not the only one with good priorities around here...

Laughing I know no priorities other than drinking beers.

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Ended up buying Sierra Nevada Summerfest, I'll give my thoughts later, but I'm confident I'm gonna like it.

I just had that a little while ago. It's a pilsner style, which is far from my favorite kind. Miller and Budweiser advertise themselves as Pilsners, but they aren't really true to the style so that's not exactly what you're getting out of it. Summerfest is a lot more flavorful and actually has discernible hop flavors.

MrDrew wrote:

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started getting into trying new beers thanks to a few friends. Normally I just drink Bud Light because I have no taste what so ever and its cheap. But I am slowly working my way into new beers. I hate wheat beers and stouts like Guiness.

I just started drinking Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and drank a Bikini Blonde while in Hawaii, but have been going to a lot of micro brewers lately but usually stick to their lightest beer.

I just found this thread so I am sure I will be coming here for some advice on what to try.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I have just started getting into trying new beers thanks to a few friends. Normally I just drink Bud Light because I have no taste what so ever and its cheap. But I am slowly working my way into new beers. I hate wheat beers and stouts like Guiness.

I just started drinking Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and drank a Bikini Blonde while in Hawaii, but have been going to a lot of micro brewers lately but usually stick to their lightest beer.

I just found this thread so I am sure I will be coming here for some advice on what to try.

Welcome to the world of good beer. If you look at the first page, you'll see that Waldo set up a good index for what everybody has reviewed.

You actually picked a good place to start. Sierra Nevada Pale is one of the best widely available Pales on the market. Keep trying new stuff and post what you think.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I hate wheat beers and stouts like Guiness.

Have you had any other kinds of stout or do you specifically just dislike Irish dry stouts? I'm not much of a Guinness fan myself, but I have been known to get them at bars when the selection isn't good. But there are a ton of different kinds of stouts out there and most of them are more flavorful (and often much sweeter) than Guinness. They have stouts that are flavored like coffee, like chocolate, some that even have fruit backgrounds. Guinness originally put me off stouts, but now, I love a good stout.

Maybe try a few brown ales. Goose Island has a pretty decent one that should be available most anywhere in the Midwest. Bells also makes a pretty good brown that's got an interesting sourness to it. I would probably avoid Newcastle though; it's probably the most widely available brown ale out there, but it just isn't very good.

MrDrew wrote:

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
I hate wheat beers and stouts like Guiness.

Have you had any other kinds of stout or do you specifically just dislike Irish dry stouts? I'm not much of a Guinness fan myself, but I have been known to get them at bars when the selection isn't good. But there are a ton of different kinds of stouts out there and most of them are more flavorful (and often much sweeter) than Guinness. They have stouts that are flavored like coffee, like chocolate, some that even have fruit backgrounds. Guinness originally put me off stouts, but now, I love a good stout.

Maybe try a few brown ales. Goose Island has a pretty decent one that should be available most anywhere in the Midwest. Bells also makes a pretty good brown that's got an interesting sourness to it. I would probably avoid Newcastle though; it's probably the most widely available brown ale out there, but it just isn't very good.

Thank you Waldo for the welcome. I read through quite a few pages already and this is a fantastic thread. The write ups for the beers are great. I have really enjoyed this thread.

As for the stout question, Guiness is the main one I have tried. I tried New Castle and didn't care for that at all. Like I said I am very bad with taste, hence why I always drink Bud Light. I have tried Stone Brewery's Arrogant Bastard and liked it. Right now I am on a Stella Artois and Sierra Nevada kick, but I am working on branching out. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:

I just had that a little while ago. It's a pilsner style, which is far from my favorite kind. Miller and Budweiser advertise themselves as Pilsners, but they aren't really true to the style so that's not exactly what you're getting out of it. Summerfest is a lot more flavorful and actually has discernible hop flavors.

Yeah, pretty average beer IMO. Only my second experience with Sierra Nevada, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed their Pale Ale. It was obviously much better than BL or ML, but I didn't think it was anything overly special. I'd drink it again if it were available, but not sure I would drop $10 on another 6 pack.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
As for the stout question, Guiness is the main one I have tried. I tried New Castle and didn't care for that at all. Like I said I am very bad with taste, hence why I always drink Bud Light. I have tried Stone Brewery's Arrogant Bastard and liked it. Right now I am on a Stella Artois and Sierra Nevada kick, but I am working on branching out. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Haha, you went with Arrogant Bastard, that's funny. Not exactly a beer I would have recommended anyone to start out with, as that's one of the more intense beers I've ever had. It's pretty good though. I want to try the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, because it sounds pretty amazing.

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Ended up buying Sierra Nevada Summerfest,

Yeah, pretty average beer IMO. Only my second experience with Sierra Nevada, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed their Pale Ale. It was obviously much better than BL or ML, but I didn't think it was anything overly special. I'd drink it again if it were available, but not sure I would drop $10 on another 6 pack.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it either, my roommate had bought it because it was on sale for like $8. Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale is its flagship beer for the most part, though personally I don't like it (too hoppy, almost an IPA without the malt to go along with it). Actually I can't say I'm super impressed with any of their beers that I've had, though I've never had several of them. I've had their Pale Ale, Summerfest, Porter, Kellerweis, and Bigfoot (Barleywine). That doesn't mean they're bad, just kind of simple. Above-average, nothing super.

MrDrew wrote:

Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it either, my roommate had bought it because it was on sale for like $8. Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale is its flagship beer for the most part, though personally I don't like it (too hoppy, almost an IPA without the malt to go along with it). Actually I can't say I'm super impressed with any of their beers that I've had, though I've never had several of them. I've had their Pale Ale, Summerfest, Porter, Kellerweis, and Bigfoot (Barleywine). That doesn't mean they're bad, just kind of simple. Above-average, nothing super.

Yeah, I'm gonna try a few more of theirs, but right now I think I prefer Sam Adams varieties to Sierra Nevada, and they also come a little cheaper which is a plus.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna try a few more of theirs, but right now I think I prefer Sam Adams varieties to Sierra Nevada, and they also come a little cheaper which is a plus.

I agree with you on that one. Sam Adams just has a wider variety of beers, at least of those widely available this side of the Mississippi. Sierra Nevada is way out in Cali so it's more expensive out here.

MrDrew wrote:

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the liquor store and bought a 6 pack of the Sierra Nevada Summerfest so I will be trying that tonight.

I also picked up a New Belgium Brewing Ranger IPA to give a shot.

Should be an interesting night

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 65 of 100

Jump to: