Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueViking28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
pmk wrote:
TrueViking28 wrote:

I split a 12 pack of these with a buddy last Thursday. They are Moosehead Lager, a beer made in New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty decent beer, very smooth and goes down nicely. Tastes very similar to other average beers, so probably won't purchase again. 5.5/10
I always get whatever Canadian beer is on sale whenever I just want a cheap smooth 12-pack to sip on. Nothing spectacular but much better that any of the American big brand lagers.

Honestly I can't tell the difference most of the time.

Noob.
Ha just teasing, I can definitely tell the difference between cheap Canadian Lagers and American Lagers. I also hate Sam Adams Lagers though. Anybody else out there had Moosehead?

vike daddy wrote:
boondock wrote:
Usually small dogs will wet themselves when they get excited.

happens to me when the nurse comes in with fresh oatmeal. yum!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueViking28 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
pmk wrote:
TrueViking28 wrote:

I split a 12 pack of these with a buddy last Thursday. They are Moosehead Lager, a beer made in New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty decent beer, very smooth and goes down nicely. Tastes very similar to other average beers, so probably won't purchase again. 5.5/10
I always get whatever Canadian beer is on sale whenever I just want a cheap smooth 12-pack to sip on. Nothing spectacular but much better that any of the American big brand lagers.

Honestly I can't tell the difference most of the time.

Noob.
Ha just teasing, I can definitely tell the difference between cheap Canadian Lagers and American Lagers. I also hate Sam Adams Lagers though. Anybody else out there had Moosehead?

I've never had Moosehead, but I really don't have much of a desire to try it. I would basically expect it to be no different from Labatt or Molson. I prefer either of the latter brands to the American counterparts, but not by very much, and if there's nothing else available, I'm probably not drinking that night.

I do really like what I've had from the Unibroue brewery in Québec though. Those are some good Canadian beers.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone drank Sam Adams Cherry Wheat? I drank some last night and its one of my favorite beers I've ever head. I really don't think Sam Adams has ever let me down on any of their beers.

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
Has anyone drank Sam Adams Cherry Wheat? I drank some last night and its one of my favorite beers I've ever head. I really don't think Sam Adams has ever let me down on any of their beers.

I have drank it in the past, it was a little too sweet for my liking. However, I do enjoy all Sam Adams beers.
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:

I have drank it in the past, it was a little too sweet for my liking. However, I do enjoy all Sam Adams beers.

I could see that being the case for some people, definitely.

I also recently tried the Summer Ale which I really liked alot as well. Then I got some Newcastle Brown Ale which the jury is still out on, some sips I like it, others I'm not sure. Even with bad beers though, I'm really enjoying trying all kinds of different beers, being 21 is great!

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did a review on Sam's Cherry Wheat earlier. It's in the index. I love them in the summer. It's easy to drink, and good when it's hot. It is pretty sweet, and not what I would have as a daily drinker, but good every once in awhile.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
I actually did a review on Sam's Cherry Wheat earlier. It's in the index. I love them in the summer. It's easy to drink, and good when it's hot. It is pretty sweet, and not what I would have as a daily drinker, but good every once in awhile.

Did not know that, I'm gonna check it out!

chauboy wrote:
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue Dirtoir Black Lager

This Black Lager offering by Rogue, is advertised as a GYO (Grow your own) beer. The fields that grew the grain and the hops are owned by the Rogue Brewing Company (Newport, Or). GYO appears to be similar to the "Real Ales" made by Fullers et al in Great Britain. Interestingly, they actually give a full ingregient list on the bottle: Melanoidin, Carafe, Special II, Black, Chocolate, and Rogue Risk Malt; Independant and Revolution Hops, and German yeast.

This beer is true to the black lager (Schwarz Bier) style and is similar to more well known offerings by Sprecher and Sam Adams in the US. Oddly enough, the style is actually obscure in it place of origin, however very popular among Japanese brewers. As would be expected of an American Beer, the flavors are stronger and more distinct than would be found in an imported German or Japanese beer, partially due to age/freshness, partially due to methods (face it, small US breweries aren't multi-decoction lager brewing like the megas and Germans do, simply making a lager is a big step for most American Breweries).

Though heavily advertised on the bottle, this beer is very lightly hopped, as would be expected of the style (unexpected by Rogue, who IMO overhop everything). There are some distinct bittering hops and finishes with occasional hop notes, however I would surely not consider it a highly hopped beer. The overall dominant flavor is the chocolate and black malt used, to the point of nearly drowning everything else out.

This beers strong points advertising-wise is also its weak point I feel. Great, they grew their own hops and grain. That doesn't mean that it is any good. Two regions of the world in particular are noted for their barley quality as it relates to flavor, Scotland and Bavaria. American soil and breeding OTOH produces hops very high in flavoring and AA%, and grain with very high enzyme activity, but surely delicate flavor would not be a phrase used to describe what is grown here. Granted this is a broad generalization of a very large landmass, but thus far, at least to me, it hasn't been proven untrue.

Overall it is true to the style and if you believe in the cause at least worth trying, it does have a very crafty feel, almost hombrewed, when you drink it. It isn't a super homogeneous Lager, and largely is more ale-like than lager-like. If you are a big fan of Chocolate malt (I am) and Black Patent, or would like to be able to identify the flavor, this beer is definitely worth a try. However if value for your dollar is what you seek, you probably want to look elsewhere. It doesn't list it on the bottle, but I'd guess this beer is between 5-6% ABV. It may even be lower, it definitely isn't strong.

Grade: 7.2

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you back in the beer game Waldo. Hopefully this will spawn some more interest in this thread again.

Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Good to have you back in the beer reviewing game Waldo. Hopefully this will spawn some more interest in this thread again.

Fixed.

Still on the everlong quest to find the very best, never quit that game.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samichlaus Bier (2008)

Technically a Dopplebock, but called "Malt Liquor", this isn't quite the same as OE or St. Ides. A wee bit more $$ too, a little 11.2 oz bottle will set you back $5. But, at 14% ABV (not a typo, yes it actually is that strong) the bang for the buck is there. Make from largely pale grain (the stuff that makes the continental Pilsners), it is a reddish-amber color due to the high quantity.

Samichlaus is a product of Austria and aged 10 months prior to bottling. Each year it is brewed on only 1 day, December 6th, St. Nicks day. It is considered a Christmas beer type (its name means Santa Claus in German). Like all other high quality very high gravity beers, the beer improves over many years, and the vintage is listed on the label (similar to wines in that respect).

Unlike American Barley wines or Scottish heavies (Barely wines really also), and strong Belgian Beers, Samichlaus is a Lager, not an Ale, and has the characteristic rounding and melding of flavors more typical with a lager brew. This really is different than most other dopplebocks, being significantly stronger than most. The taste is more along the lines of Scottish Wee Heavies/Barley wines.

Some American Barley wines go too far with the hops, this one is similar to the Scottish versions of the style (Traquair House, JW Lee Harvest), though stronger than the Scottish versions and lacking the characteristic slightly smoky/peaty flavor of Scottish malt. Like the Scottish versions and unlike the American versions, there is a residual/natural unfermentable sweetness in the grain, which is present in high quality continental Lagers, some Scottish Ales/Barely wines, and in Scotch whiskey.

This is a very big beer with very big flavors. It has the characteristic warmth of a super strong beer. It is surprisingly smooth for its strength (I'd love to get my hands on a 5 yr+ old bottle). This one has a very nice sweet character and hints of toffee candy. There really are no discernible hops. As a sipping "desert" beer, it is outstanding. There is absolutely no way you could drink this beer fast however, and were you to try, it has serious knockout power if you are too successful. Definitely something that you won't be drinking over and over, but as a one shot novelty beer it is excellent.

Grade: 7.9

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Floyds Alpha King

I randomly chose this APA off the menu at a really nice downtown Madison restaurant I took my wife too for her birthday. I was very pleasantly surprised. I don't know much about beer reviews, but this was probably the most citrusy aromatic APA I've had, and it was fantastic. Probably my favorite pale ale I've ever tasted.

I'm going to be on the lookout for it now...
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - Beer taste better than a protein shake.

Damn you P90X.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Three Floyds Alpha King

Everything I've read about Three Floyds makes it sound nothing short of amazing. According to the beer rating sites, it's one of the top in the country. I wish I could get it here, but their distro is pretty limited. Them and Midnight Sun are the two that I know I can't get without help, but really want to try.

XsA MainEvent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried shock top Belgian wheat ale from Michelob for the first time tonight... verry tasty I'm not a beer fanatic or anything but I really enjoyed it and would give it a 7. Anyone else like this beer?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 60 of 100

Jump to: