Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Anyone ever tried Fullers Honeydew?

I would rate that as a 9.0.

By far the best beer I have ever had.

I really like their 1845 Ale. A very balanced beer, one of my favorite pale ales. If it is even close to as good as that, its got to be good.

I've got one of these going right now:

Its kinda like a nutty Hefe that goes down like a lager. More clove flavors than banana flavors, it uses a very Belgian yeast.

Surprisingly strong too.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punk IPA

Brewer: Brewdog (Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

My Review:
Pours a hazy gold, with a finger tall white head. Medium body, with good carbonation. Lacing was through the glass, but not too heavy. Scent is heavy malt, citrus, pine, and an odd sweaty scent. Taste is big malt, lots of mixed fruit, pine, citrus, and finishes dry and long lasting bitter.

Lots of flavor going on with this one. Malty, fruity, bitter. The name explains it pretty good, it's not following any rules. Lighter than most IPA's. Not as bitter either, but the bitter lasted much longer after a drink. A great buy considering the name was what sold me.

Technical:
Brewdog wrote:
BrewDog BrewSheet

ABV:
6%
OG:
IBUís:
Malts:
Marris Otter Extra Pale Malt
Hops:
Chinook, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin
Twist:
Hopped with bucket loads of our favourite hops

My Score: 8.0

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone Brewery out of San Diego cranks out some good beers. I suggest giving them a try.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my beer finished up. As I suspected I would find, it's pretty rough around the edges, but it was my first attempt so that's about what I expected. It's an IPA that came out around 5.5% alcohol, which is pretty weak, though it was only supposed to come out at 5.75% - 6.25% anyway so I'm not that short.

It's a pretty deep copper color with a ridiculously persistent head that's like whipped cream--it DOES NOT dissipate at all. If you get a bad pour you basically have to get a spoon to get rid of some of the head, haha.

As far as IPA goes I've never really had anything that's like this. It smells really strongly of hops (primarily Columbus hops; there's another variety in there for bittering as well but the type escapes me for the time being). The malt bill is pretty ho-hum, light malt extract and crystal malts. Nothing special there.

The unique thing about it is that it's got hefeweizen-like esters in it, specifically banana and maybe a bit of a cedar scent in there as well.

Flavor-wise, I'm not exactly a huge fan; it's very strong on the hops and that's usually not my cup of tea. The banana esters are interesting, though, since that's not something you would generally think characteristic of an IPA.

I've also got a little problem--there's a white film on the bottom of the bottles. I believe it's just a yeast base and I'm generally not too concerned about it--after all, it sticks to the bottom while you're pouring and doesn't come off until you rinse it with the faucet on full-blast, so none of it gets into the glass when you pour it. But I wonder what I did wrong to make it that way--did I just syphon it poorly, or did wild yeast get into my bottles somehow? I just don't know.

Objectively I would give it a 4.5 out of 10. . . if it were made by a commercial brewery I probably would not purchase it again.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
thesickness89

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was not a college student so I could drink good beer

Judgement tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesickness89 wrote:
I wish I was not a college student so I could drink good beer

I do both.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next week russian river is coming out with Pliny the Younger, which only comes out once a year and only lasts about 2 weeks. For the past 3 years, I keep missing the release and by the time i usually hear about it, they're all out. so i'm definitely not going to miss it again this year. It's a TRIPLE IPA 11%, i've only heard about how amazing this beer is, so hopefully i'll have a review up next weekend.

RaiderX with the assist^^
Intangibles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busch will do for cheap drinking episodes. The Worst is Natural Ice. "nasty ice"
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so effing pissed, i can't begin to describe how upset i was last night. so yesterday russian river released their Pliny the Younger beer, i had nothing to do all yesterday, but the people i was going with had school till 5, so i wait. we get there at 8 pm, they've been sold out for four hours. you heard correct, the beer lasted from 11 am to 4 pm. so we drink away our sorrows and got really drunk off some supplication and consecration (both of which were deliciously sour). here's a little info about both

Quote:
Supplication: Brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries .
7.0%ABV / 1.064 O.G / 27 BUs

Quote:
Consecration is a dark Belgian style ale aged in American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Not only do we use Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, & Pediococcus, we also add currants to beer while it is aging in the barrels. 10%

RaiderX with the assist^^
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
Anyone ever tried Fullers Honeydew?

I would rate that as a 9.0.

By far the best beer I have ever had.

I really like their 1845 Ale. A very balanced beer, one of my favorite pale ales. If it is even close to as good as that, its got to be good.

I've got one of these going right now:

Its kinda like a nutty Hefe that goes down like a lager. More clove flavors than banana flavors, it uses a very Belgian yeast.

Surprisingly strong too.
I've enjoyed a few six packs of the Blonde-Blonde. It's a very different flavor, maybe vanilla-like. But I like the texture, and strength of the beer still. Not something I'd make a regular on the beer menu, but still I can appreciate it.
ThaDonDotta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Favorite beer are as follows

Bells HopSlam
Stone's Double Arrogant Bastard Ale
Bells Two Hearted Ale
Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale
Founders Double Trouble IPA
Founders Imperial IPA
Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA
Bells Porter

On my list to try: Three Floyds, hear they make some of the best brew in the world!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local brewery put out a double IPA last night. Best I've ever had, save Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA. All the hoppiness you'd expect with a nice citrus background to it.

MrDrew wrote:

TrueViking28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split a 12 pack of these with a buddy last Thursday. They are Moosehead Lager, a beer made in New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty decent beer, very smooth and goes down nicely. Tastes very similar to other average beers, so probably won't purchase again. 5.5/10

vike daddy wrote:
boondock wrote:
Usually small dogs will wet themselves when they get excited.

happens to me when the nurse comes in with fresh oatmeal. yum!
pmk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueViking28 wrote:

I split a 12 pack of these with a buddy last Thursday. They are Moosehead Lager, a beer made in New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty decent beer, very smooth and goes down nicely. Tastes very similar to other average beers, so probably won't purchase again. 5.5/10
I always get whatever Canadian beer is on sale whenever I just want a cheap smooth 12-pack to sip on. Nothing spectacular but much better that any of the American big brand lagers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
TrueViking28 wrote:

I always get whatever Canadian beer is on sale whenever I just want a cheap smooth 12-pack to sip on. Nothing spectacular but much better that any of the American big brand lagers.

Honestly I can't tell the difference most of the time.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 59 of 100

Jump to: