Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
scar988 wrote:
I just got a 6 pack of the winter lager. still have to say I enjoy the Oktoberfest more... especially when having them next to each other... they are both easily worth the 9-10 per 6 pack though and easily 7/9 on the scale for this threead.

You're getting ripped off if you're paying $9-10 for a six pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest or Winter Lager. You shouldn't be paying more than about $6 for them, or any of their non-premium reserve beers.

Depends on where you're at, doesn't it? I've never seen Sam Adams for $6, more like $7 or $7.50, and I've also seen it for as much as $8.99 if you're at like a party store or something.

I need to finish out their imperial series. I really like their Double Bock (even though it's irritating that they couldn't just call it a Dopplebock . . .) and I'm looking forward to the Imperial Stout. I've never seen the Imperial White, though I'm not sure I really want to try it.

I guess beer is just cheap up north. Here I can get Sam Adams for about $6-$7, depending on where I'm getting it from.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

My Score: 4.5

Ah, their Nut Brown Ale used to be my favorite for a while, but exploring beer varieties is a slippery slope and in the last year or two I've really gotten into other varieties. I bought a six pack of the Nut Brown a month or so ago, and it didn't seem as good as I remember it being.

Though I'm a little surprised by the 4.5 you gave Honker's Ale . . . it's their flagship beer and I think it's at least fairly good. I had it at a bar on Friday night (from a bottle, but poured into a glass) and it was good for being a lighter beer.

I wish that Goose Island would bottle more of their beers, or I wish I lived in Chicago so I could try more of them. They have 20 of their brews on tap at their Clybourne BrewPub, and if I remember correctly they release a new one every Thursday (maybe every month I don't remember exactly.)

Anyways, I'm a little surprised by the 4.5 grade as well. I'd probably give it around a 6.5, though I've only had it once. Out of the beers they regularly bottle for sale, I like their Harvest Ale best. Their Oatmeal Stout was actually the first microbrew I ever tried.

I haven't had their Harvest Ale yet. I keep passing it up for whatever reason.

Yeah, I had been passing it up too. I came across it in a mix-and-match section so I picked up a bottle of it in there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, no wonder I've never seen it outside of Wi.

A NTC bar was busted for selling Spotted Cow by the New Glarus brewery.

Just about everyone that you meet that has had it considers it one of the 5 best beers that they've ever had. I absolutely love it.

Quote:
Carey said he has heard of his beer being sold outside Wisconsin and is often asked if New Glarus Brewing Co. will ever sell its beers outside the state, but said he has no plans for such expansion.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Hat Howl

Magic Hat is a decent brewery; I've liked everything I've had from them, even if none of it is really outstanding. For the most part it's going to fall into the 6.5-7.0 range, and I would say this beer is no different.

Howl is Magic Hat's new Winter seasonal, as the company has officially stopped distributing Jinx, which was a wee heavy/Scottish ale that, unfortunately, I don't believe I've ever tried. Howl is a schwarzbier, a kind of dark lager that will usually taste a bit like a more mellow porter--it has the coffee flavor and a degree of bitterness to it, but it's more mild due to the lagering process.

Howl pours a dark, but not opaque brown with a light off-white head that's about a finger in thickness and dissipates, but leaves foam tracing down the sides of the glass as you drink.

The aroma is a little funky, which I've found to be pretty common to all of Magic Hat's beers; unfortunately I can't really put my finger on what it is. There are coffee notes in it as well as some toasted malts.

The flavor is kind of light. There is a smooth coffee flavor that you'd expect, and the pale and crystal malts are the same as used in the more popular #9 (Magic Hat's most widely-known beer). In that regard, I'm a little disappointed--the flavors are very similar between the two except that instead of #9's apricot flavoring, this has coffee flavor in it instead. Very dry in the finish, and the hopping is only for bittering.

The mouthfeel is smooth, especially considering its appearance. Carbonation is pretty light, which is nice because this is generally a very refreshing beer. This would make a good session beer.

Overall rating: 6.5

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
TRUTH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried Michelob Winter's Burbon Cask Ale?
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUTH wrote:
Has anybody tried Michelob Winter's Burbon Cask Ale?

I haven't--to be honest, I probably wouldn't buy anything with Michelob's name on it, haha.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Bucky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Man, no wonder I've never seen it outside of Wi.

A NTC bar was busted for selling Spotted Cow by the New Glarus brewery.

Just about everyone that you meet that has had it considers it one of the 5 best beers that they've ever had. I absolutely love it.

Quote:
Carey said he has heard of his beer being sold outside Wisconsin and is often asked if New Glarus Brewing Co. will ever sell its beers outside the state, but said he has no plans for such expansion.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Spotted Cow is a great beer, I'm glad I live on the border of Wisconsin. I heard about this on Thanksgiving and it answered my questions as to why I could go two minutes across the border and get it, but not get it in Michigan.

New Glarus has a lot of good brews.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 of those tonight i think im dead

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors, they sell dollar PBR's here in Charleston... not very good beers, but cheap at the bars during games when you've already had 5-6.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
coors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
coors, they sell dollar PBR's here in Charleston... not very good beers, but cheap at the bars during games when you've already had 5-6.

yeah most bars in Athens have specials on PBR on an almost daily basis. in no way do I support PBR, but its a respectable cheap beer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
scar988 wrote:

yeah most bars in Athens have specials on PBR on an almost daily basis. in no way do I support PBR, but its a respectable cheap beer.

booooo
i love pbr, only cheap beer i'll ever drink.

RaiderX with the assist^^
bigbluefan87

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbr's probably my least favorite beer in the world. maybe icehouse can be in a tie for that.

i drank both of those when i rented a house with my friends for a week and needless to say i haven't touched either since.

and as far as cheap beer, when i'm at school it's a 20 pack of busch light bottles for the night. very good deal at the local liquor store.

~lago_vista on the sig/avatar
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan87 wrote:
pbr's probably my least favorite beer in the world. maybe icehouse can be in a tie for that.

i drank both of those when i rented a house with my friends for a week and needless to say i haven't touched either since.

and as far as cheap beer, when i'm at school it's a 20 pack of busch light bottles for the night. very good deal at the local liquor store.

Icehouse sucks so much...

I normally get Keystone for my cheap beer needs.

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go PBR for my cheap beer. If it's available, sometimes I'll go for Steel Reserve or South Paw.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really depends on where I'm at. PBR is a great cheap beer in Charleston because it's normally the $0.50-$1.50 special and is great with Pizza. But I won't get PBRif I have to spend more then 1.50 for it.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 57 of 100

Jump to: