Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I'm heading to a Great Lakes Brewery sampling party after work today. I'll let everyone know my thoughts.

I've been interested in tasting their supply for a while, but it's never been in my area and I've heard of them on the net. The owner of a local pub I frequent met one of the Brewmasters a few months ago and they decided to do a tasting for several of the bars and distributions in the area at the bar. Since I'm a regular I got an invite.

Sweet!
You're in for a treat. Great Lakes makes some awesome beer. One of the few nice things about living in Cleveland.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggfl1andonly wrote:
Whats your guys opinion on tanqueray? It's the best liquor i've ever had. there gin/vodka is amazing.

Gin is disgusting.

boondock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
boondock wrote:
I'm heading to a Great Lakes Brewery sampling party after work today. I'll let everyone know my thoughts.

I've been interested in tasting their supply for a while, but it's never been in my area and I've heard of them on the net. The owner of a local pub I frequent met one of the Brewmasters a few months ago and they decided to do a tasting for several of the bars and distributions in the area at the bar. Since I'm a regular I got an invite.

Sweet!
You're in for a treat. Great Lakes makes some awesome beer. One of the few nice things about living in Cleveland.

It was a very good tasting. They served 5 beers in special half pint glasses that we got to keep.

I really enjoyed their Burning River Pale Ale, Dortmunder Gold Lager, and the Eliot Ness Amber. The Amber was probably my favorite as I ended up drinking it all night and taking a case home with me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
This place called Red Wagon in an upscale suburb . . . it's got pretty much anything you'd ever want, but it's all overpriced because the clientele consists mostly of people making close to six figures.

Is there a Total Wine anywhere near you? If so, go there to get Dead Guy.

By the way, what does Red Wagon charge you for a six-pack?

The one and only Kiltman!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned." -- William Congreve
Roboturner913

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Roboturner913 wrote:
Before that I had a comparison taste of two marzens - Paulauner and Samuel Adams' Oktoberfests. Loved them both. I think the Paulauner was a little better, but the Sam Adams color and flavor seems more true to the style.

Ummmm.......

Paulaner IS the style.

The style is defined by the six breweries of Munich that participate in Oktoberfest. Some of them get a little weird, Paulaner is the one that really makes the honest to goodness Marzen.

SA's is stronger and heavier, more flavorful. SA doesn't decoction lager like the German breweries do, which makes it a little more harsh yet flavorful.

You really notice it in the big mugs. SA takes some time, Paulaner goes down faster than water.

Reading up on it, sounds like you're right. It appears there are significant versions between American and German versions of Oktoberfest beers.

I guess the Sam Adams would be the quintessential American marzen whereas the Paulaner is the German one.

I'll drink either one happily.

Cool
Roboturner913

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

Spaten's Dunkel is heavenly IMO.

I will have to find some.

The only dunkel that I can easily find around here is Warsteiner. Which is not bad, but I know there's better out there. I actually find the Michelob Dunkelweisse pretty good, but apparently they don't make it year round.
Roboturner913

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know if they still make Whitbread Pale Ale?

I'm a big fan of the stuff, used to buy it two 6-packs at a time. But I haven't seen any in about a year.

It may just be a distribution thing, I think it was made in Cincinnati.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
pmk wrote:
boondock wrote:

Sweet!

It was a very good tasting. They served 5 beers in special half pint glasses that we got to keep.

I really enjoyed their Burning River Pale Ale, Dortmunder Gold Lager, and the Eliot Ness Amber. The Amber was probably my favorite as I ended up drinking it all night and taking a case home with me.

i cant drink dortmunder anymore, nor burning river. i like the edmund fitzgerald the best. i liked the grassroots ale for some reason, but everyone else hated it. independence ale was pretty good. i didnt like nosferatu at all. black out stout apparently gets you super drunk.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

Sweet!

Edmund Fitzgerald = awesome. Elliott Ness is also fairly good from what I remember . . . haven't had anything else from them.

gothman25 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
This place called Red Wagon in an upscale suburb . . . it's got pretty much anything you'd ever want, but it's all overpriced because the clientele consists mostly of people making close to six figures.

Is there a Total Wine anywhere near you? If so, go there to get Dead Guy.

By the way, what does Red Wagon charge you for a six-pack?

A six pack of Dead Guy Ale? I don't know, I haven't really looked. But when I go to buy something like Dogfish Head it's usually $10.99 for a six-pack and I can get it for $9.99 elsewhere.

As for Total Wine . . . nope, I live in MI, and it looks like the closest one would be in VA or MD . . . not exactly in my range Laughing

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
boondock wrote:

Sweet!

Edmund Fitzgerald = awesome. Elliott Ness is also fairly good from what I remember . . . haven't had anything else from them.

Their Edmund Fitzgerald is one of my favorite beers.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
pmk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

What were the final two? I used to not like Dortmunder, but I've come around on it. Their Octoberfest and Christmas Ale are my two favorites, and the Edmund Fitzgerald, Connoly's Irish Ale and Burning River are all very good as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
boondock wrote:

What were the final two? I used to not like Dortmunder, but I've come around on it. Their Octoberfest and Christmas Ale are my two favorites, and the Edmund Fitzgerald, Connoly's Irish Ale and Burning River are all very good as well.

They had some of the Anniversy Ale, which was not bad. I thought it was somewhat bland overall.

Also, had some of the Christmas Ale. I'm not a fane of Chritmasy Ales with the spices.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honker's Ale

Brewer: Goose Island Beer Company
Style: English Pale Ale

My Review:
Pours a clear light copper color, with a finger tall white head. Scent is light caramel malt, some bitter hops, and some spice. Taste is very light malt, some light bittering hops, a burst of spicy hops, and a salty finish.

Stuck in O'Hare airport, wanting a beer, and I found a Goose Island stand. After reading RyanFuller003's great reviews on a couple of their beers, I decided to stop in. I should have gone with the stout, even though it was in a bottle, but the Honker's had a cool tap. Really should have gone with the stout.

The Honker's was very light flavored in the beginning, and finished too strong in the spice. It also had a very salty finish. Not terrible, but not what I would consider good. Also not a good example of an English Pale.

Goose Island wrote:
Recipe Information:
Style: English Style Bitter
Alcohol By Volume: 4.2%
International Bitterness Units: 30
Color: Golden Sunset
Hops: Styrian Golding
Malts: 2 Row, Caramel, Wheat, Roasted Barley

My Score: 4.5

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, new beers I've had over the last couple days...

* Carlsberg- Delicious...even if it is associated with Liverpool scum
* Fosters- Mehhh tasted almost the same as Bud to me.

I also got Sam Adams winter lager at the store but haven't tried it yet.

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
gothman25

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Honker's Ale

I'm tempted to buy this just because of the cheeky name. Laughing

The one and only Kiltman!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned." -- William Congreve

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 55 of 100

Jump to: