Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HonoluluBlue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bell's Oberon Ale is officially out of season at all of my local bottle shops (except the mini-kegs, which I don't like as much as bottles because the flavor is inconsistent). That's been my mainstay beer for a few years, so I need to find a new one until next spring.

Has anyone tried any beers made by Founder's (I've tried Derty Bastard, I hated it), New Holland, or Short's? Any other recommendations of Bell's Beers that an Oberon lover would like (such as Third Coast Beer, Pale Ale, or Winter Wheat Ale)?

artwork by Kempes
diehardlionfan wrote:
Don't break a leg jumping off the bandwagon.
GO LIONS!!!!
Bucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Bucky wrote:
I just brewed my first batch of beer, a pretty basic Nut Brown Ale.

Congrats! It's a great thing to get into.

Lets get some details here. Extract or all-grain? Bottle or keg? What were you drinking while brewing? And most important, did you have fun doing it?

I did an all-grain for it. My dad has been brewing wine for a couple of years now, and in the past six months or so he started brewing extract beers. I decided to just start with all-grain instead of doing extract when I would switch to all-grain in the future anyways.

It went pretty well for my first try. My efficiency is a little low, it's about 65% and my gravity was a low. The target was 1.07 and mine was 1.048. Perhaps you or Waldo could troubleshoot that for me?

I plan on bottling it as I don't have a kegging system yet. I was drinking different Oktoberfests during it. I had Beck's, Bell's, Hofbrau, and Schell. It was a lot of fun and I'm reading to brew another batch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HonoluluBlue wrote:
So Bell's Oberon Ale is officially out of season at all of my local bottle shops (except the mini-kegs, which I don't like as much as bottles because the flavor is inconsistent). That's been my mainstay beer for a few years, so I need to find a new one until next spring.

Has anyone tried any beers made by Founder's (I've tried Derty Bastard, I hated it), New Holland, or Short's? Any other recommendations of Bell's Beers that an Oberon lover would like (such as Third Coast Beer, Pale Ale, or Winter Wheat Ale)?

I love Founders. So far everything I've had of theirs, I've liked, which includes Dirty Bastard, Centennial IPA, Breakfast Stout (this is amazing; get it if you like dark beers), and their Porter (also very good). I'm thinking of trying their Rye Ale next as it's a kind I've never had before. Maybe their Cerise (which is a cherry beer I guess).

I've had Third Coast Beer before as well. Nothing special and I won't buy it again. I do love Bell's Octoberfest and their Kalamazoo Stout. Two Hearted is also a decent IPA if you like those (I generally do not). But a stout is nothing like Oberon. You might try their amber as it would be a lighter option, like Oberon. But it's not a wheat beer.

Lately I've been on a Dogfish Head kick, and I really like their Indian Brown Ale (right now I'm drinking their Punkin Ale, which I'm going to do a review of in a second). Seems like all of their beers I've had are exceptionally done, but they are quite costly ($10.99 a six-pack for the Indian Brown, same price for a four-pack of 90-Minute IPA, $9.99 for a four-pack of this Punkin Ale).

If you really like Oberon, you might consider trying Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat. It's a similar flavor, albeit with less citrus in it, and I don't think it's really as good.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

Dogfish Head bills this as a brown ale mixed with pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice cinnamon, and nutmeg. However, it pours looking a lot more like a coppery color, like an amber ale. The head was pretty minimal when I tried and it dissipated to nothing almost right away.

Scent is, not surprisingly, a lot like warm pumpkin pie along with bittering hops.

The flavor is good, but it's not quite on-par with the other Dogfish Head things I've had. I really like this brewery right now, and while I wouldn't say I'm too disappointed with this one, I don't think it reinforces my love for them. Its got the right amount of sweetness to it and you certainly get a good balance to the pumpkin pie flavor from the hops. The spicing is very good, and reminiscent of Bell's Octoberfest.

It's relatively thin on the palate, good carbonation, and goes down pretty smoothly.

Overall I'd say this is a pretty good beer, but one is enough (per session obviously). I'll happily finish the four pack at some point this week, but I'm not going to drink them one right after the other.

Overall Rating: 7.0

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Lets get some details here. Extract or all-grain? Bottle or keg? What were you drinking while brewing? And most important, did you have fun doing it?

I did an all-grain for it. My dad has been brewing wine for a couple of years now, and in the past six months or so he started brewing extract beers. I decided to just start with all-grain instead of doing extract when I would switch to all-grain in the future anyways.

It went pretty well for my first try. My efficiency is a little low, it's about 65% and my gravity was a low. The target was 1.07 and mine was 1.048. Perhaps you or Waldo could troubleshoot that for me?

I plan on bottling it as I don't have a kegging system yet. I was drinking different Oktoberfests during it. I had Beck's, Bell's, Hofbrau, and Schell. It was a lot of fun and I'm reading to brew another batch.

I really want to brew my own beer but I have no clue how to (well, aside from the very very basic process of "get grain, add boiling water, add yeast, ?, profit" part of it).

MrDrew wrote:

gothman25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Stone Ruination IPA? I recently saw it at my local Total Wine and was contemplating trying it. However, at $16.99 a 6-pack, I'm a bit hesitant to get it, and have it turn it out to be a poor allocation of my limited beer assets.

The one and only Kiltman!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned." -- William Congreve
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gothman25 wrote:
Has anyone tried Stone Ruination IPA? I recently saw it at my local Total Wine and was contemplating trying it. However, at $16.99 a 6-pack, I'm a bit hesitant to get it, and have it turn it out to be a poor allocation of my limited beer assets.

i actually just had it on tap yesterday down in san diego, great beer, but definitely not worth 17 dollars for a 6 pack. just buy a 22 oz if you can find one and are interested in trying it. stone is one of my favorite breweries and if i were to recommend trying any beer from them, i'd say get your hands on the arrogant bastard. or the double bastard if you're ballsy.

RaiderX with the assist^^
gothman25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
i actually just had it on tap yesterday down in san diego, great beer, but definitely not worth 17 dollars for a 6 pack. just buy a 22 oz if you can find one and are interested in trying it. stone is one of my favorite breweries and if i were to recommend trying any beer from them, i'd say get your hands on the arrogant bastard. or the double bastard if you're ballsy.

What kinds of flavors do the Ruination and Arrogant Bastard possess? I didn't pay too much attention to it, but is Ruination--and/or Arrogant Bastard--lighter or darker beers?

The one and only Kiltman!

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned." -- William Congreve
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gothman25 wrote:

What kinds of flavors do the Ruination and Arrogant Bastard possess? I didn't pay too much attention to it, but is Ruination--and/or Arrogant Bastard--lighter or darker beers?

well the ruination is a double ipa that's just loaded with hops, i think it's rated at over 100 IBU's, which isn't unusual for a stone beer. what's odd about it is that i don't find it to be all that bitter, the first bite you really get isn't the hops but the malts which lingers around perfectly. fantastic beer i just wouldn't pay 17 for a 6 pack, 12 bucks? probably. ruination is in my top 3 favorite double IPAs, one and two being, dogfish head's 90 minute and mad river's steelhead double ipa, respectively.

arrogant bastard is super malty but has a lot of hops character in it as well, to me it tastes more bitter than the ruination. what really separates the two beers for me is the finish, the ruination is great for the summer cause it's got that great dry bite at the end, while the arrogant bastard is more of my winter ale cause it just fills and warms you up.

to answer your question though, the ruination is darker than most DIPAs, but it's still lighter than the arrogant bastard which pours EDIT: more like a dark brown ale.

Last edited by ienjoythesnow on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Arrogant Bastard the other day just because I've been wanting to for a while. I didn't like it very much . . . extraordinarily hoppy and tastes a bit like wood. It tastes a bit like a red ale that was doused with ridiculous amounts of hops.

MrDrew wrote:

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I tried Arrogant Bastard the other day just because I've been wanting to for a while. I didn't like it very much . . . extraordinarily hoppy and tastes a bit like wood. It tastes a bit like a red ale that was doused with ridiculous amounts of hops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab73dB907ZY
sorry, had to do it.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

You didn't read the label, did you?

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah. They were right. I probably didn't like it. Not to say it was bad, but I wouldn't buy it again.

MrDrew wrote:

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Yeah, yeah. They were right. I probably didn't like it. Not to say it was bad, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Sorry, but it was too easy not to.

I haven't had it in a long time, and don't really remember much about it. Think I'll grab one on the way home, and review it tomorrow.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Bucky wrote:

All grain is tough. You really have to have a feel for your heating equipment (stove or other) and temperature pockets in your brewpot. Plus to have the right thickness of mash, about a pound and a half per gallon of water while mashing. I don't really do that cooler method that seems to be done somewhat, my mash pot has a perforated liner in it (in addition to the mesh bag that I use), the flames never touch the inner part, but hot water comes from the sides all around. I stir it quite a bit. I like to quickly get it to protein rest temp, then slowly rise to the 2nd sugar rest over the next hour or so.

I don't have a big enough mashing brewpot to do all grain. I do 50-50 or so. All of the color grain and half the sugar comes from mashing, the other half comes from extract.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 48 of 100

Jump to: