Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reverend

Brewer: Avery Brewing Company (Boulder, CO)
Style Quadrupel

My Review:
Pours a deep copper color, with a finger tall off-white head. Lacing is really nice throughout. Palate was medium to heavy. Scent is dough/bread malt, some fruit (plum/raisin?), and some citrus hops. Taste is a bread malt, some dark fruit, spice, a slight citrus hop, and a very light hint to alcohol.

Nice blend of a lot of flavors. I could taste fruit, but can't put my finger on it. A 10% beer, but didn't really taste like it. The alcohol did have a nice warming effect though. Paired really well with the pork roast I ordered.

Tech

Quote:
Beer Style: Belgian Quadrupel Ale
Hop Variety: Styrian Goldings
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, cara 8, cara 20, caramel 15L, caramel 40L, Belgian special B
OG: 1.093   ABV: 10.0%   IBUs: 10
Color: Tawny
Availability: Year round in 22oz. bombers, 1/6BBL and 1/2BBL kegs.

My Score: 8.2

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Not in the least. What's best about it is that even if you find a better marzen, it will probably cost much more. Sam Adams is king for Oktoberfest, especially when you're looking for best value. I think it's likely their best brew (though their black lager is also really good).

considering he had it for $3 on draft and then $2 at happy hour, it was more than worth it. Great value. I love the Boston Lager as well though. Sam Adams is just a great beer company all around.

Outside of their Oktoberfest I'm not a big fan of Sam Adams. A lot of their brews I've found to lack depth. Granted, the number of Sam Adams I've tried could probably be counted on one hand, maybe an additional finger or two from the second hand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
scar988 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Not in the least. What's best about it is that even if you find a better marzen, it will probably cost much more. Sam Adams is king for Oktoberfest, especially when you're looking for best value. I think it's likely their best brew (though their black lager is also really good).

considering he had it for $3 on draft and then $2 at happy hour, it was more than worth it. Great value. I love the Boston Lager as well though. Sam Adams is just a great beer company all around.

Outside of their Oktoberfest I'm not a big fan of Sam Adams. A lot of their brews I've found to lack depth. Granted, the number of Sam Adams I've tried could probably be counted on one hand, maybe an additional finger or two from the second hand.

I've tried 13 different Sam Adams beers:

Sam Adams Light
Boston Lager
Blackberry Witbier
Octoberfest
Black Lager
Winter Lager
White Ale
Summer Ale
Cherry Wheat
Hefeweizen
Brown Ale
Honey Porter
Irish Red

I may have also had their Old Fezzewig Ale, but I don't remember it (it would have been a long time ago, before I really bothered with beer).

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
56GiantPens66

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer is proof that god loves us and he wants us to be happy---Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
The Reverend

that looks delicious, nice review.

RaiderX with the assist^^
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
scar988 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

I've tried 13 different Sam Adams beers:

Sam Adams Light
Boston Lager
Blackberry Witbier
Octoberfest
Black Lager
Winter Lager
White Ale
Summer Ale
Cherry Wheat
Hefeweizen
Brown Ale
Honey Porter
Irish Red

I may have also had their Old Fezzewig Ale, but I don't remember it (it would have been a long time ago, before I really bothered with beer).

I've had their Oktoberfest, Blackberry Whitbier, Cherry Wheat, Summer Ale, and Boston Lager. So I guess I've had five.

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Adams Oktoberfest

Quote:
Color: Red to Golden Amber
Original Gravity: 14" Plato
Calories/12oz: 180
ABV: 5.4%
Malts: Two-Row Harrington, Metcalfe, Munich-10, 2-Row Moravian, Caramel 60
Hops: Tettnang Tettnanger and Hallertau-Mittlefruh
Yeast: bottom-fermenting lager yeast

This beer pours a very nice golden amber like in the description. The beer has a very sweet sense when you open the bottle. You can smell the hops infused with the caramel. When you drink it you taste the malt, but it isn't overpowering. It is slightly sweet, but it has a great bite to it. It is a bit hoppy but that's what creates its great bite

This is truly one of my favorite beers. I can sit outside on a fall day, watch the sun set, and this beer seems to taste even better. I may be a bit biased, but the quality of the beer, along with the price, makes it a great beer.

My rating 8.5

It may be a bit high, but that is how much I love this beer.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

Pours dark brown, though not opaque, with some mahogany when held up to a light. Two-fingered head, not too much retention.

Dogfish Head describes this as a hybrid between an American Brown Ale, and India Pale Ale, and a Scotch Ale. I would say it leans mostly toward Brown/Scotch. It has the sweetness and caramel flavors of a scotch ale, but has the nose, appearance, and chocolate/coffee notes of a brown.

The mouthfeel is really somewhat thin for how high this beer is in alcohol content (7.2% ABV). It's quite drinkable and you might find yourself in trouble if you don't look on the label to see how high it is in alcohol content, though I should note it will taste almost like a liqueur if you drink it out of the bottle (not that I recommend drinking any beer out of a bottle anyway).

Finish is where the hops come through, and that's about the only time I can compare this to an IPA. It's definitely not as strong in the hops as an IPA usually is, but the kind of floral notes do come through.

This is a really good beer; I'll definitely buy it again. A tad on the expensive side, though ($10.99 for a six-pack).

Overall Grade: 8.5

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone had Bud Light Golden Wheat yet? I'm pretty sure it's probably just going to taste virtually identical to Blue Moon, but I'm not about to buy a six-pack of it to find out . . . I may order it at a bar sometime when it just doesn't have anything but Bud/Coors/Miller.

At least Bud is making an attempt to get into the micro market. Miller still has yet to find a response for Bud's American Ale and now Bud is releasing another macro version of a craft beer. Interesting.

MrDrew wrote:

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Sam Adams Oktoberfest

Quote:
Color: Red to Golden Amber
Original Gravity: 14" Plato
Calories/12oz: 180
ABV: 5.4%
Malts: Two-Row Harrington, Metcalfe, Munich-10, 2-Row Moravian, Caramel 60
Hops: Tettnang Tettnanger and Hallertau-Mittlefruh
Yeast: bottom-fermenting lager yeast

This beer pours a very nice golden amber like in the description. The beer has a very sweet sense when you open the bottle. You can smell the hops infused with the caramel. When you drink it you taste the malt, but it isn't overpowering. It is slightly sweet, but it has a great bite to it. It is a bit hoppy but that's what creates its great bite

This is truly one of my favorite beers. I can sit outside on a fall day, watch the sun set, and this beer seems to taste even better. I may be a bit biased, but the quality of the beer, along with the price, makes it a great beer.

My rating 8.5

It may be a bit high, but that is how much I love this beer.

I have to agree about this beer. I normally switch my beers up every quarter, but when I had this in the first of the NE-ATL game, I just loved it too much to switch it up in the 2nd.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

that looks awesome, i've never heard of such a hybrid, gonna have to pick me up some for sure.

oh and sam adams sucks imo. not bad for a commercial beer, but i'll only drink it as a last resort.

RaiderX with the assist^^
Bucky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys ever find that you have too much beer in your fridge? I keep buying more, yet I'm pretty backed up as it is. Right now I have 13 different brews in my fridge. I find every time I go to the store I end up picking up something new. I think I need to have a power night one of these nights to cut down on my stock.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who else loves hefeweizen?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.
Bucky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCDallasFan wrote:

I've only had one hefeweizen in my life so I can't really cement my stance on them. I will say that it certainly wasn't my favorite style though. I'll need to try some more to know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
SLCDallasFan wrote:

I've only had one hefeweizen in my life so I can't really cement my stance on them. I will say that it certainly wasn't my favorite style though. I'll need to try some more to know for sure.

I am not a beer man - when I drink I drink whiskey 98% of the time...but I really enjoyed the hefeweizen when I had it every time I've done so.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 45 of 100

Jump to: