Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
So honest question here, I drank a Guiness today and it is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. Should I expect that from every stout and give up, or is Guiness just not that good?

Guinness is probably one of the easiest drinking stouts. Don't give up though. Start lighter and make your way into porters and stouts.

Eesh, ok. Just curious on that, finishing that bottle was rough. I'm guess Ima stick to Dutch Lagers for now I guess Laughing

Sig By Mike23md

Adopt A Skin

Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Brandon Meriweather
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
but i did like the sam adams blackberry witbier

I wasn't a big fan; I used to like fruit-based beers but I've kind of gotten off them a bit. It was okay, but nothing I'd want to buy again.

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
So honest question here, I drank a Guiness today and it is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. Should I expect that from every stout and give up, or is Guiness just not that good?

Guinness is probably one of the easiest drinking stouts. Don't give up though. Start lighter and make your way into porters and stouts.

Eesh, ok. Just curious on that, finishing that bottle was rough. I'm guess Ima stick to Dutch Lagers for now I guess Laughing

Guiness is an "easy drinking" stout because it's watery compared to most other stouts I've had, but the flavor isn't exactly what I'd call desirable. It's merely "okay." It's like the Budweiser of stouts; very popular, but I don't think it's all that well-done, personally. Just a classic for being probably the world's most popular and widespread stout.

I do love stouts, but it takes a while of trying beer before you can really appreciate them. You might try out with easygoing lagers ("lawnmower beers"), then work through maybe wheat beers (also quite light), then brown ales, then porters, then stouts.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a four-pack sampler of Unibroue (from Québec) with Trois Pistoles ("three pistoles;" which is the French name for an old Spanish coin), Fin du Monde ("end of the world"), Don de Dieu ("gift of God"), and Maudite ("damned"). So far I've tried Trois Pistoles and Don de Deiu. Both are very good.

Trois Pistoles is a dark beer that doesn't quite have the thickness of a stout or porter, but certainly its color; it's deep and has kind of a tart fruit flavor in the background. It's quite good and I wish I had a second (unfortunately it was just a four-pack). I'd probably give it a high 7 or a low 8.

Don de Dieu is a triple wheat ale and really reminds me of a cross between champagne and Dragonmead's Final Absolution (a Belgian-style Trippel). It's very highly carbonated, pours a blonde color just shy of amber, and it's excellent. It's got an acridness to it that really tickles the tongue because of its high carbonation level and probably compares better to champagne than anything else. I'd give it about an 8.25.

I'll try to give more in-depth reviews of Fin du Monde and Maudite.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just has a Sam Adams Octoberfest today while watching the Falcons game. It was the only good part of the game. beer was great.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Bucky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

I also finally found Guinness 250th Anniversary and bought it. Boy, was that a disappointment. It was good enough, but a little too plain and it definitely isn't something I'd get excited about.

I had a bottle of it last night too and it was pretty disappointing as well. I thought it was a step up from Guinness, but certainly not something to get excited about. I'm glad I just bought a single of it from the mix-and-match section instead of buying a six pack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
just has a Sam Adams Octoberfest today while watching the Falcons game. It was the only good part of the game. beer was great.

I've tried about four or five different Marzens, and honestly Sam Adams' is the best of all of them. Bell's is very good too.

MrDrew wrote:

twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
scar988 wrote:

I've tried about four or five different Marzens, and honestly Sam Adams' is the best of all of them. Bell's is very good too.

QFT.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest has quickly become one of my favorite beers. The local Hyvee isn't getting anymore so I have 2 left Mad I'm not a happy camper.

Talking about it makes me want to drink one. But I've got more drugs in me than Cortney Love right now due to my cold. So I'm setting for this crappy apple-raspberry juice.

Ill review this beer if I have time. I had some others I wanted to review but 2 jobs leaves me less time to mess around on here.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I bought a four-pack sampler of Unibroue (from Québec) with Trois Pistoles ("three pistoles;" which is the French name for an old Spanish coin), Fin du Monde ("end of the world"), Don de Dieu ("gift of God"), and Maudite ("damned"). So far I've tried Trois Pistoles and Don de Deiu. Both are very good.

Trois Pistoles is a dark beer that doesn't quite have the thickness of a stout or porter, but certainly its color; it's deep and has kind of a tart fruit flavor in the background. It's quite good and I wish I had a second (unfortunately it was just a four-pack). I'd probably give it a high 7 or a low 8.

Don de Dieu is a triple wheat ale and really reminds me of a cross between champagne and Dragonmead's Final Absolution (a Belgian-style Trippel). It's very highly carbonated, pours a blonde color just shy of amber, and it's excellent. It's got an acridness to it that really tickles the tongue because of its high carbonation level and probably compares better to champagne than anything else. I'd give it about an 8.25.

I'll try to give more in-depth reviews of Fin du Monde and Maudite.

i loved trois pistoles

LOVE LOVE LOVED it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say I really like Leinkugel's Summer Shandy, the most refreshing beer and you get a great hint of lemon. To bad it just went out of season, it's perfect on a hot sumer day while at a baseball game Smile . I'll have to wait until next summer for it to come out again.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
scar988 wrote:

QFT.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest has quickly become one of my favorite beers. The local Hyvee isn't getting anymore so I have 2 left Mad I'm not a happy camper.

Talking about it makes me want to drink one. But I've got more drugs in me than Cortney Love right now due to my cold. So I'm setting for this crappy apple-raspberry juice.

Ill review this beer if I have time. I had some others I wanted to review but 2 jobs leaves me less time to mess around on here.

so I wasn't wrong in feeling that their Oktoberfest is a great beer. A new bar just opened up here and the bartender here just moved down from Boston. I asked him to recommend me his best beer, and he got me a glass of the Oktoberfest. Let's just say that 4 beers and a bunch of wings later, I came by very impressed with the beer, and very unimpressed with the Falcons.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
so I wasn't wrong in feeling that their Oktoberfest is a great beer. A new bar just opened up here and the bartender here just moved down from Boston. I asked him to recommend me his best beer, and he got me a glass of the Oktoberfest. Let's just say that 4 beers and a bunch of wings later, I came by very impressed with the beer, and very unimpressed with the Falcons.

Not in the least. What's best about it is that even if you find a better marzen, it will probably cost much more. Sam Adams is king for Oktoberfest, especially when you're looking for best value. I think it's likely their best brew (though their black lager is also really good).

Sportscar22 wrote:
I would have to say I really like Leinkugel's Summer Shandy, the most refreshing beer and you get a great hint of lemon. To bad it just went out of season, it's perfect on a hot sumer day while at a baseball game Smile . I'll have to wait until next summer for it to come out again.

More than just a hint of lemon . . . it's literally a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. I like it too, but the lemon is pretty overpowering.

MrDrew wrote:

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibroue Maudite ("Damned")

This one pours a kind of deep, cloudy mahogany with a two-fingered head with some mild retention. Unfortunately it kind of looks dingy and a little unappealing, almost like a sparkling cider. The Unibroue beers I bought (see above) are all bottle refermented, so in addition to being extremely strong they are all quite deeply carbonated, so you kind of have to let them sit for a few minutes before you drink them.

Oddly enough, this beer smells a bit like a dry pale ale (Magic Hat #9 comes to mind) despite that it looks nothing like it (and is described as a Strong Red Ale on Unibroue's website). Some clove and spice notes come through, though not much hops (unlike pale ale).

The taste, unfortunately, isn't one I dig a whole lot. The previous two I've had were both really good, but this one isn't quite doing it for me. It's okay, I guess, but disappointing compared to the previous two I've tried. The clove and spices come through in the taste as well, as well as alcohol and some kind of fruit I can't quite put my finger on (grape perhaps? Not sweet grapes, but more like the kind you'd use for Merlot wine).

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth for such a big beer (8% alcohol). Heavily carbonated as I've stated previously, though that dissipates some as it warms up.

The finish is pretty bitter, more what you'd expect from wine than beer. You can certainly detect the alcohol on your breath and in your throat afterward. Clove notes are pretty well-pronounced at this point.

This beer generally has receives high marks on the beer-rating websites I've perused, but I'm not finding it very much to my liking. I've heard it's best aged, and served "cool but not cold" so perhaps I'm just drinking it too cold or too soon to fully appreciate its flavor. I don't want to fool anyone . . . this is a well-done beer, but I'm not sure it's really my kind of brew.

Grade at Present: 6.5; subject to revision when beer warms somewhat.

MrDrew wrote:

acowboys62

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportscar22 wrote:

I love it too. Leinkugel is quickly becoming one of my favorite beer companies. They have a lot of other good selections as well.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:

I lol'd.

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Not in the least. What's best about it is that even if you find a better marzen, it will probably cost much more. Sam Adams is king for Oktoberfest, especially when you're looking for best value. I think it's likely their best brew (though their black lager is also really good)

You know there Spring Ale was my favorite till I tried Oktoberfest.

I'd say it goes:

1. Oktoberfest
2. Spring Ale
3. Sam Adams Light
4. Summer Ale
5. Boston Loger
6.Cherry Wheat
7. Honey Brown
8. Blackberry whatever
9. Black Beer something or other

That blackberry and black beer crap they make is probably two of the worst beers I've ever had.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Not in the least. What's best about it is that even if you find a better marzen, it will probably cost much more. Sam Adams is king for Oktoberfest, especially when you're looking for best value. I think it's likely their best brew (though their black lager is also really good).

considering he had it for $3 on draft and then $2 at happy hour, it was more than worth it. Great value. I love the Boston Lager as well though. Sam Adams is just a great beer company all around.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 44 of 100

Jump to: