Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently Bell's The Oracle DIPA is incredible. I'll be looking for a six pack of this, though I doubt I can find it.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
thesickness89

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had some Blue Moon the other night, i really liked it. Normally I just drink crappy cheap beer at parties lol

Judgement tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any reviews in awhile as I didn't think I had refined enough taste buds to give accurate feedback for the readers. I've been trying several new beers a week though since my last review so I figured I'll give reviews another go around.

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager

This is the first black lager that I've ever tasted. I don't know what one is exactly supposed to taste like, but this to me tastes like a water-thin porter. It pours a deep black color, hence the name, with a slight amber color around the edges when held up to the light. There is a three finger head that disapates quite quickly and leaves virtually no tracing at all.

It has a bit of a mild roasty smell to it. A little bit of bitterness in the smell with a faint hint of chocolate. It has a pretty mild taste to it, the roasted malts come through the most with a hint of black licorice and mild coffee in the background. I think mine picked up the glass taste from the bottle, because it left a pretty prominent glass aftertaste.

It's mouthfeel is very thin, almost water thin. There is a bit of carbonation too. It goes down pretty smooth and would be a decent session beer I guess. It's very drinkable, but there isn't much complexity or depth to the flavor.

Grade: 6.0

Great Lakes Brewery: Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

This was on tap at Old Chicago when I went for Pizza one night and I liked it so much I went out and bought a six pack right after. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with the purchase, but it tastes better on tap (like most beers) than in bottles.

It pours a pretty dark brown with a medium sized head that leaves mild tracing. It lightens up to a dark amber when held to the light. The smell to this beer is fantastic. It's a very malty smell with coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. It has a good combination of roasty and sweetness.

I think it has more character to it at taste than any other porter that I've had. You get the roasted malt with a bit of toasty coffee flavor, a hint of chocolate, and a little carmel flavor. There is a nice hoppy taste in there to balance everything out too, especially on the finish.

The body I'd put in the medium category. It has very nice texture and a nice mouthfeel to it. Overall this is one of those beers that I've been keeping on hand at all times for whenever I want something I know I'll for sure like.

Grade: 8.4

I'll do a few more reviews later on too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys ever get a chance to try New Glarus Brewing Co. Old English Porter I'd reccommend giving it a try, even though the style isn't going to be for everybody. I just poured a glass of it, and it's like nothing I've ever tasted before. It has the tartness of a glass of wine, but it's smokey all at the same time. Here is what New Glarus has to say about it.

Quote:
To help avoid confusion, our New Glarus Old English Porter is supposed to be sour. This beer was inspired by the writings of Graham Wheeler, a noted English Beer Historian. Mr. Wheeler describes the original Porters of the 1800's as: "... simply a mixture of two brown beers. The only characteristic that set the porter apart from any other beer of the day was that porter was deliberately soured by adding a percentage of sour beer to freshly brewed beer. The original porters were not, as is commonly supposed, jet-black in colour, but a translucent brown. They had a rich, smoky flavor derived from the use of brown malt and a winey aftertang produced by the deliberate souring, highly regarded by Londoners." Our interpretations is a Brown Porter based on the style popular in 1870's London. Half of the batch went through a souring fermentation, in the traditional way, to promote the characteristic wine-like acidity. The beer was aged on wood to extract sweetness from toasted oak.

It's a very unique beer and worth trying.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple a while back, but never got around to reviewing them. Here you go....

Anvil ESB

Brewer: AleSmith Brewing Company (San Diego, CA)
Style: Extra Special Bitter (ESB)

My Review:
Poured amber with a two finger off-white head. Scent was malty, light caramel, and bitter hops. Taste was close to the same. Malty caramel up front, with a nice light bitter finish. Lacing was decent through out the glass.

I was extremely disappointed when I first drank it. It wasn't because it was bad, it was because I made a mistake when I grabbed it. I thought I grabbed a bottle of AleSmith's extra pale. As a pale it's terrible. Once I looked at the bottle, and figured out where the hops went, I was able to enjoy it. A little better than the Left Hand ESB I reviewed before.

My Score: 7.2

Speedway Stout

Brewer: AleSmith Brewing Company (San Diego, CA)
Style: Imperial Stout

My Review:
Poured thick as oil, and as black too, with a three finger light brown head. Scent was heavy roasted malt, and coffee. No presence of hops at all. Taste was huge roasted malt, light chocolate, a fruit that I couldn't pick out, alcohol, and a big, but well balanced, coffee flavor.

It was crazy how BIG the beer was. I've never had anything close to how heavy it was. I actually tried to put it up to a light, just to see if any went through. No light, but it did make a shadow. It's also probably the smoothest beer I've ever had. Very rich, and creamy. As good as it was, it was hard to drink. I was only able to finish a little over a pint, and it was almost a 2 pint bottle. Based on flavor the score would be up at the top. The fact that it was so hard to drink really knocks it down.

My Score: 8.5

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesickness89 wrote:
Just had some Blue Moon the other night, i really liked it. Normally I just drink crappy cheap beer at parties lol

Some people aren't a big fan of Blue Moon, but I like it. Orange peel and coriander are the main flavors, and it's pretty dang sweet for a beer. Probably not the best example of a Belgian-style wheat, but it's typically what I'll order if I'm at one of those kinds of bars that only serves cheap beer.

Bucky wrote:
This is the first black lager that I've ever tasted. I don't know what one is exactly supposed to taste like, but this to me tastes like a water-thin porter.

That's about what I think of the style as well; I've had limited experiences with the genre but from what I can tell it really is a lot like a porter that's been lagered to mellow it out.

Try Sam Adams version . . . I thought it was pretty good. I probably like it best of all the SA offerings I've tried (which is most of them, I think; I believe I've had over a dozen).

Bucky wrote:
Great Lakes Brewery: Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Grade: 8.4

I can't remember if I'd already reviewed this in this thread or not, but it's one of my favorites. I fully agree with your rating for it. It's an excellent beer for people who like porters and even kind of blurs the line between porter and stout, in a way. Edmund Fitzgerald is probably one of the five or six best beers I've ever tried.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
This is the first black lager that I've ever tasted. I don't know what one is exactly supposed to taste like, but this to me tastes like a water-thin porter.

That's about what I think of the style as well; I've had limited experiences with the genre but from what I can tell it really is a lot like a porter that's been lagered to mellow it out.

Try Sam Adams version . . . I thought it was pretty good. I probably like it best of all the SA offerings I've tried (which is most of them, I think; I believe I've had over a dozen).

New Belgium 1554 is a good Black Ale. I'm not sure if it's a traditional Black, but I like it.

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great review on speedway stout, had that on tap down in san diego, amazing beer.

RaiderX with the assist^^
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton Baton

Brewer: Dogfish Head Brewery (Milton, DE)
Style: Imperial IPA (Oak Aged)

My Review:
Poured a rich copper color, with a two finger off-white head. Nice lacing through the glass. Scent was bready malt, vanilla, oak, spice, and some bitter hops. Flavor was bread malts, caramel, vanilla, oak, a big spicy hop flavor in the middle, and a nice bitter hop finish. Palate was full and creamy.

According to he brewer it's a 50% mixture of an English strong ale, and their 90minute IPA. Not as hoppy as the 90minute, or most Imperial IPA's. Much easier to drink too. There was a lot going on with this beer. The spicy hops were a surprise after the initial taste, I almost expected something sweet. A very interesting take on the style.

Brewer's Description wrote:
The elusive brew is made from pilsner malt and amber malt with an original gravity of 26.5?P, yielding an 11% abv. It's hopped with Warrior and Glacier varieties. Primary fermentation takes place in open vessels using two yeast strains, one American and one English. For added complexity, the beer is conditioned on barrel staves of French Oak for four months before being dry hopped with Glacier at the rate of a half-pound per barrel. This elixir is then blended 50/50 with 90 Minute IPA. After blending, the beer will measure 80 IBU and 10% abv.

My Score: 8.6

mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Bucky wrote:

New Belgium 1554 is a good Black Ale. I'm not sure if it's a traditional Black, but I like it.

i didnt like the sam adams black lager
i liked the shiner bock version better

but i did like the sam adams blackberry witbier
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew, you better come back with some awesome stories from the GABF.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
MrDrew, you better come back with some awesome stories from the GABF.

No GABF. Everybody cancelled on me, then I had nowhere to stay, and had nobody that would come pick me up that late.

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

No GABF. Everybody cancelled on me, then I had nowhere to stay, and had nobody that would come pick me up that late.

bummer man, i know the feeling. NEXT YEAR it's going to happen, i'm sure of it. apparently there is a sex festival going on right next to the GABF as i type this, so hopefully next year they'll have that there too. Very Happy

Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So honest question here, I drank a Guiness today and it is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. Should I expect that from every stout and give up, or is Guiness just not that good?

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
So honest question here, I drank a Guiness today and it is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. Should I expect that from every stout and give up, or is Guiness just not that good?

Guinness is probably one of the easiest drinking stouts. Don't give up though. Start lighter and make your way into porters and stouts.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 43 of 100

Jump to: