Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Well, as you guys read, the Aventinus was only 'good'. Which is kind of a disappointment for me.

But, let me tell you, the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is very good. I will reserve judgement until tomorrow simply because I have had a few. But, as of now, I really like it.

Hmmm, I'm a big fan of Aventinus. I think that it is one of the better wheat beers that one can find. I'd probably give it around an 8 or so.

Their Eisbock is their truly great one though. I'd have to go close to 9 on that one.
I dont think its a bad beer. I just didnt really like it. But, I am starting to thinkI just dont like the style.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Well, as you guys read, the Aventinus was only 'good'. Which is kind of a disappointment for me.

But, let me tell you, the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is very good. I will reserve judgement until tomorrow simply because I have had a few. But, as of now, I really like it.

Hmmm, I'm a big fan of Aventinus. I think that it is one of the better wheat beers that one can find. I'd probably give it around an 8 or so.

Their Eisbock is their truly great one though. I'd have to go close to 9 on that one.
I dont think its a bad beer. I just didnt really like it. But, I am starting to thinkI just dont like the style.

Weizenbock is not a style for everybody.

Wheat beers are usually seen as light and refreshing. Bock beers are usually seen as heavy and syrup-like. Fans of one aren't typically fans of the other.

Aventinus Weizenbock is about as close as a Lager comes to a Belgian Trappist Ale IMHO.

Make regular Aventinus (~7-8% ABV) "ice brewed", and you get their Eisbock, which is 12%+ abv.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
skywindO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo, do you have a favorite wheat beer?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balashi Beer - Aruba

Just got back from Aruba and I tried their very own Balashi beer. It was a pilsner that poored a gold color with some light carbonation. The taste started out somewhat bitter, but ended up very sweet. It's not a bad beer at all, but it lacked the flavor that I normally want in a beer.

Since all other beer was over $5 a pop down there and it was mostly your common American Beers (Bud, Miller Lite, Corona were the most common), I drank a lot of these $3 Balashi since it was brewed on the island.

I would drink another one, but I would definitely be on the look out for something with a little bit more flavor unless you are in Aruba. I give it a 4.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Waldo, do you have a favorite wheat beer?

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
pmk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here brew their own beer? My roomie got into it last year and we are going to make some Russian imperial stout this week. Just wondering if anyone else here home brews and if you have any tips.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here ever had Dragonmead's Final Absolution? It's a really good Trippel I had on-tap at a bar quite a while back. I saw some at the store the other day and it's $11.49 for two 550 mL bottles. Normally I don't like spending that kind of money on such little beer, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Sad day.

I was really excited about the Dog Fish 120. I am a huge IPA fan. And maybe my expectations were too high, but that did not taste like an IPA.

Let me rephrase, that tasted like an IPA that was mixed with syrup.

I am not the most knowledgable brewer, but it seemed that that beer was entirely too raw. It needs to be aged another year or so to get all the sugar out of if.

It was a good beer. I liked it, and if it wasnt for the price, I would drink it often. But it is not the "holy grail of IPAs". For $9/Bottle, pass on that. Get a few Stone IPAs!

I wouldn't lie to you

MrDrew wrote:

If you're not an IPA fan, don't waste your money. It's super hoppy, and a bit on the syrup side. It's very smooth, but extremely heavy on the hops.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Faulk28SJaX39

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been fond of Modelo and Tecate. Here in Baltimore alot of people drink National Bohemian since I was originally brewed here.

PROPS TO DEADPULSE ON THE SIG!
Adopt-A-Ram '13:
Jake Long: 1 GS/0 Sacks Allowed
Kendall Langford: 2tackles, 1 for loss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been home in Cali for two days, and I've tried three new beers. Here we go...

Walker's Reserve Robust Porter

Brewer: Firestone-Walker Brewing Company (Paso Robles, CA)
Style: Porter

My Review:
Tried this one on tap, and from a bottle. Poured dark brown, with a finger tall, light brown head, that eventually dissipated into patchy foam on top. Nice lacing through the glass. Medium to heavy body. Scent was roasted malt, and some coffee. Taste was similar. Roasted malt dominated, with some chocolate, and coffee finished it. The coffee had a nice bittering effect, which is normally reserved for the hops. There was very little from the hops, which can be expected from the style.

Good, but not great beer. Represented the style well, but didn't wow me. Something I would drink again, but wouldn't go searching for. Looked better out of the bottle, but the flavor was more pronounced on tap.

My Score: 7.0

Thougt I'd review all 3 tonight, but I'm too tired. I'll get to the other 2 in the morning.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Anyone here ever had Dragonmead's Final Absolution? It's a really good Trippel I had on-tap at a bar quite a while back. I saw some at the store the other day and it's $11.49 for two 550 mL bottles. Normally I don't like spending that kind of money on such little beer, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it.

Bought it. It's actually a four-pack of 12 oz bottles, a pleasant surprise. It comes in a fully-enclosed box, so I couldn't see that before (which is a good thing--I don't want light effing up my $11.50 four-pack of beer).

I'll get a review up tonight, probably. I'm definitely not going anywhere--I've been burning the candle on both ends all week and I'm exhausted.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Lefthand Milk Stout tonight.

Very good!

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Grachuus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the PA area Yuengling is the best inexpensive beer I've ever had by a good mile.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
If you're in the PA area Yuengling is the best inexpensive beer I've ever had by a good mile.

I drank a Natty last night, it was delectable. I can't wait to get back to school, this liquor heavy summer diet is getting to me.

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
coors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill take some Sweetwater 420 or some Terrapin here in Athens

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 37 of 100

Jump to: