Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Poet Oatmeal Stout

By the New Holland Brewing Co., Holland, MI

Pours near-opaque mahogany with a thin, but persistent, tan head. When held up to light, a pretty ruby color shines through the glass. As you drink, the head leaves watermarks at where the liquid is when you stopped sipping it last, rather than leaving a typical lace.

Smell is of roasted barley, oatmeal, and coffee. It's a very deep, earthy type of scent rather than the toasted bread type of smell you will often get with stout beers.

The taste is very good. Oatmeal flavor is much more pronounced than in the last oatmeal stout I tried (which was Breckenridge Brewery's). The roasted barley flavor is present but takes a backseat. Chocolate and coffee notes are also present. Hops are hard to detect at all. This is a very full-bodied beer with a smooth mouthfeel and extremely light carbonation. Quite a thick beverage.

All-in-all this is a good brew and a nice example of the style, at least in my experience. What I like best about it is that it only cost me $7.99 (albeit it was on sale; normally $8.99).

Overall Grade: 7.5

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you guys read, the Aventinus was only 'good'. Which is kind of a disappointment for me.

But, let me tell you, the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is very good. I will reserve judgement until tomorrow simply because I have had a few. But, as of now, I really like it.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

I will. I love IPAs. My favorite is STONE, but I know thats looked down upon within the beer community.

why is stone looked down in the beer communities? they're one of my favorite breweries.

is it their pompous slogans and somewhat overpriced beer that irritates people or am i missing something?

RaiderX with the assist^^
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I will. I love IPAs. My favorite is STONE, but I know thats looked down upon within the beer community.

why is stone looked down in the beer communities? they're one of my favorite breweries.

is it their pompous slogans and somewhat overpriced beer that irritates people or am i missing something?

I dont know - Just every time I read or hear anyone talk about Stone, its always negative.

I love them. I dont get all the hate.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
bears2308

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read, Waldo. Have you ever tried Killer Penguin?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone drink Dos Equis? I've been wanting to try it ever since i've seen those commercials Laughing

Stay thirsty my friends.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
ienjoythesnow wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I dont know - Just every time I read or hear anyone talk about Stone, its always negative.

I love them. I dont get all the hate.

It might just be people you know. RateBeer has their lineup rated from 2.87-4.21/5. So, from above average to great, is not bad for a brewery. RateBeer's best is about 4.5 by the way.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggfl1andonly wrote:
Does anyone drink Dos Equis? I've been wanting to try it ever since i've seen those commercials Laughing

Stay thirsty my friends.

Nothing special about it. It's a below-average beer. If you like Miller/Budweiser/Coors/Labatt and want to mix it up without actually getting anything significantly different, it's basically the same kind of thing. Probably in the same class as Heineken or Corona: "pilsners" that come in a green or clear bottle and wind up being skunky more often than not.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw that there was already a review of North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout . I agree that it is a great beer.

quick question - Last time I went to the store I saw a whole new Sam Adams line up. I didnt have a chance to read into it, but they were about twice as much.

Any word on those?

plan9misfit wrote:

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Just saw that there was already a review of North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout . I agree that it is a great beer.

quick question - Last time I went to the store I saw a whole new Sam Adams line up. I didnt have a chance to read into it, but they were about twice as much.

Any word on those?

Waldo did a review on the Double Bock. All the newest Sam Adams come in four packs that, here at least, cost about $11. I haven't tried one yet mostly because that price just doesn't sit well with me unless I'm getting a six pack and I know it's good stuff.

MrDrew wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I picked up the Dogfish 120. While I was there I got the Sam Smith Oatmeal and NB Beire De Mars.

After this, Im cutting myself off!! Ive probably spent $100 since finding this thread. I blame Waldo!

plan9misfit wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad day.

I was really excited about the Dog Fish 120. I am a huge IPA fan. And maybe my expectations were too high, but that did not taste like an IPA.

Let me rephrase, that tasted like an IPA that was mixed with syrup.

I am not the most knowledgable brewer, but it seemed that that beer was entirely too raw. It needs to be aged another year or so to get all the sugar out of if.

It was a good beer. I liked it, and if it wasnt for the price, I would drink it often. But it is not the "holy grail of IPAs". For $9/Bottle, pass on that. Get a few Stone IPAs!

plan9misfit wrote:

Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found waldo!
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Well, as you guys read, the Aventinus was only 'good'. Which is kind of a disappointment for me.

But, let me tell you, the Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout is very good. I will reserve judgement until tomorrow simply because I have had a few. But, as of now, I really like it.

Hmmm, I'm a big fan of Aventinus. I think that it is one of the better wheat beers that one can find. I'd probably give it around an 8 or so.

Their Eisbock is their truly great one though. I'd have to go close to 9 on that one.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 36 of 100

Jump to: