Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Pilsner Urquell the other day. It was a six pack of green bottles that had clearly been on the shelf for far, far too long. They were skunky as hell. I brought them home and tried one with a friend--I thought they were disgusting, but he for some reason liked it and wound up taking the whole remainder of the six pack home with him saying it tasted like Heineken. Which I'm guessing he also drinks when it's old and skunky, since it also comes in a green bottle.

Guess I should have listened to the guys who told me not to try it unless it was on tap. Ugh. I'm through buying beer in green or clear bottles. Never again, unless I'm certain it's a store that can regularly move product that isn't Bud or Miller.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home from work and found some new beer in the fridge. My brother was home for the weekend and left some of this stuff in the fridge so I thought I'd take it for a test drive.

Saranac Pomegranate Wheat
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2707778001_fdfa411fa0.jpg?v=0[/img]

This Beer actually isn't brewed by a company called Saranac, which is what I had originally thought, it's brewed by Matt Brewing Company. The bottle tells a story about how there is a secret grove of pomegranates protected from Bears and how the Matt Brewing Company traded the grove owners 10 tons of honey to get pomegrantes to make this brew. According to their website the beer is unfiltered and fermented with pomegranate juice.

This is a really smooth beer that I think a lot of women who don't like the taste of beer will enjoy. Pomegranate really dominates the scent but doesn't really hold true in the taste. There is a subtle scent of wheat, but the pomegranate dominates it. It pours a small head, about two fingers that disappates rather quickly and doesn't leave any traces. It has a pretty good balance to it, the pomegranate doesn't overpower the wheat like you would think from the scent, it complements it rather well. I think I like the aftertaste it leaves in your mouth more than the taste of when the beer is actually in there. Overall, I'd drink this beer again on a hot day while riding on the lawnmower, it's that type of beer.

Grade: 6.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest purchse: Goose Island Summertime. It's a Kölsch-style, which is something I don't think I'd tried before; I've been getting a lot of heavy, dark beers lately (porters, browns, stouts) and decided to mix it up by getting this one.

I'll do a more in-depth review later, but I can say that this is something a macro drinker would enjoy. It's very light and basically accomplishes the taste and characteristics that Miller and Budweiser are trying to accomplish. Very drinkable, not overwhelming with the flavor, and it's even actually refreshing.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

pmk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
My latest purchse: Goose Island Summertime. It's a Kölsch-style, which is something I don't think I'd tried before; I've been getting a lot of heavy, dark beers lately (porters, browns, stouts) and decided to mix it up by getting this one.

I'll do a more in-depth review later, but I can say that this is something a macro drinker would enjoy. It's very light and basically accomplishes the taste and characteristics that Miller and Budweiser are trying to accomplish. Very drinkable, not overwhelming with the flavor, and it's even actually refreshing.
I had some a while ago and it didn't blow me away but struck me as a great summertime beer. Props to Goose Island for getting that right at least. Doesn't knock your socks off with flavor, but as you said its very drinkable, especially on a hot summer afternoon.

Now in stark contrast to that, I recently bought the Goose Island Pere Jacques 2009. It was very flavorful and I really enjoyed it. I think it was about $9 for a pint bottle, but was well worth the high cost (that's high for me at least, I'm a poor college student). Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

I had some a while ago and it didn't blow me away but struck me as a great summertime beer. Props to Goose Island for getting that right at least. Doesn't knock your socks off with flavor, but as you said its very drinkable, especially on a hot summer afternoon.

Now in stark contrast to that, I recently bought the Goose Island Pere Jacques 2009. It was very flavorful and I really enjoyed it. I think it was about $9 for a pint bottle, but was well worth the high cost (that's high for me at least, I'm a poor college student). Highly recommended.

I'm also a college student . . . and there's no way I'm spending $9 on a single pint of anything. The most I've ever spent on a single item was $4.49 on a 550 mL bottle of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I'm also thinking of buying this package of Dragonmead Final Absolution, which is $11.49 for two of those bottles. I've had it before, on tap, and it left a good impression on me. It's a Trippel, and extremely flavorful--oh, and 10% alcohol.

MrDrew wrote:

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Butte XXI
Brewer: Deschutes
ABV: 11%
Style: Porter

My Review:
Much to my surprise, they still had some of their 21st anniversary beers left over when I showed up yesterday at the Portland location. For those who don't know, black butte is their most prized beer and is in my top 5 favorite porters (not that any of you were supposed to be aware of that latter fact). According to their description, the XXI builds on the existing chocolate notes already present in Black Butte Porter, brewers added Theo’s Chocolate cocoa nibs from Seattle, 1000 pounds of Bellatazza’s locally roasted Ethopian and Sumatran coffee, and then aged a portion of it in Stranahan’s Colorado whiskey barrels. Drool Drool <-that's me sold on the idea of such a beer

So after trying a tray of tasters and having a delicious lamb burger, we ordered an espresso stout cheesecake and snifters of the XXI. Probably the best decision I've made in the past few months, this combination was ridiculously good, I mean peanut butter and jelly good, so delicious.

So onto the review, first smell is just loaded with coffee and faint hints of chocolate as well and that's about it. First taste was packed full of potent dark malts that hid the alcohol very well, which was then followed by the most amazing rich coffee flavor I've ever had in a beer. Very sweet beer for sure and easily drinkable for a porter. So ya, try to imagine that I'm experiencing this delicious beer at the same time I'm eating an incredible espresso stout cheesecake. I also got the most awesome growler ever full of the XXI.

My Rating: 9.0 (ya, it really was that good)

I spent way too much money, but it was so worth it.

RaiderX with the assist^^
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, have you guys ever discussed trying to complete the BA top 100?

Here is the world:
http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers

Here is US:
http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers?cId=US

Im sure its impossible to complete 100%. But it could be a fun challenge for us advocates to try and complete 'most' of the list.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the BA strongest beers, just out of curiousity.

I have heard of the SA Utopias, but have any of you had one?

I am truely shocked though... The sell The DogFish 120 IPA at my grocery story. Its like $12 for a 4 pack. I had no clue it was 21% ABV Shocked .

Thats like friggen Vodka.

I guess you know what I am buying tomorrow. Laughing

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I am truely shocked though... The sell The DogFish 120 IPA at my grocery story. Its like $12 for a 4 pack. I had no clue it was 21% ABV Shocked .

You sure it's $12 a 4-pack and not $12 a bottle? The 90 minute usually runs $12-$15 a 4-pack. The 120 is between $11-$18 a bottle.

I had a friend order one at a restaurant without looking at the price. When he got the bill and it was $18, I'm pretty sure he dirtied his pants.

If you're not an IPA fan, don't waste your money. It's super hoppy, and a bit on the syrup side. It's very smooth, but extremely heavy on the hops.

* Looks like they took the ABV down to 18% for this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

You sure it's $12 a 4-pack and not $12 a bottle? The 90 minute usually runs $12-$15 a 4-pack. The 120 is between $11-$18 a bottle.

I had a friend order one at a restaurant without looking at the price. When he got the bill and it was $18, I'm pretty sure he dirtied his pants.

If you're not an IPA fan, don't waste your money. It's super hoppy, and a bit on the syrup side. It's very smooth, but extremely heavy on the hops.

I apologize - I started to think about it. The 90 min is 11 at our grocery store. The 120 is about the same for 1 bottle, but its actually at the movie theater I go to. I started to think about it and i remember thinking "Why is it 4 times the price for 1 bottle..."

I am a huge IPA fan though.

Anyways. I got an Aventinus and Russian Imperial stout waiting for me!

Last edited by Matts4313 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Presentation: 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. tapered bottle with a cool purple, gold and white label. "Germany's Original Wheat-Doppelbock, Ale." No freshness date seen.

Appearance: Comparable colour to a Double Bock though even deeper and thicker shades of brown from the cloudiness, thin off white lace that has a creamy look to it.

Smell: Ripe fruit is dominant with caramel undertones, almost rum like. Soft spicy clove with hints of caramelized plantains, alcoholic esters are noticeable.

Taste: Mildly crisp carbonation from a stiff pour into the glass, creamy and syrupy thick mouth feel within the full body. Snappy and tingling, parading a clean bite from some spicy clove and sweetish alcohol that leans toward a fruity rum character. Hop bitterness is minute as well as the flavour. Gentle hints of chocolate and chicory and to the complex flavour, finish cleans up a bit from the warming alcohol, nutty yeast and husky grain.

Notes: A massive wheat brew that is unsurpassed by any other of its kind. Unpasteurized, unfiltered, top fermented and original bottle fermentation. The yeast in this brew, make the brew. After pouring, there was enough yeast to begin propagation. This is by far one of the best bock beers tasted to date.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/72/224/?ba=bros

Thats what I am drinking right now. They like it a lot more than I do. I would give it a "Its pretty good, but I doubt I will ever buy it again" grade.

Its funny, it taste alot like a homebrew I made about a year ago.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I apologize - I started to think about it. The 90 min is 11 at our grocery store. The 120 is about the same for 1 bottle, but its actually at the movie theater I go to. I started to think about it and i remember thinking "Why is it 4 times the price for 1 bottle..."

I am a huge IPA fan though.

Anyways. I got an Aventaus and Russian Imperial stout waiting for me!

90 Minute is probably my favorite IPA. If you haven't had it yet, grab a 4-pack. Well worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A freakin' evil looking 12 oz. bottle with a sketching of Rasputin and some Russian words (probably a hex on all who partake of the stout within).

Black as night, with a brown chunky head that seems to crawl, rather than stick, to the pint glass. A very impressive cascading effect when poured.

Highly roasted malt aromas and alcoholic to the nose.

Smooth, potent and espresso like with a high burnt malt and hop bitterness that finishes on the sweet side to say the least.

Very complex, and true to its style. Well worth the $3.00 (+/-) paid for the single bottle, and I'd definitely buy it again. Not a beer for the faint of heart, but rather barley wine lovers and chocolate fanatics.

Serving type: bottle

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/412/?ba=bros

Thats in the fridge. I will try one tonight or perhaps tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
90 Minute is probably my favorite IPA. If you haven't had it yet, grab a 4-pack. Well worth it.

I will. I love IPAs. My favorite is STONE, but I know thats looked down upon within the beer community.

I will probably go see public enemies now so that I can try the 120... Twisted Evil

Funny story - The dogfish guys were just here for their annual show at the movie theater Ive been talking about. Stone was also here for that documentry on beers. If your ever in Austin, check it out:

Alamodrafthouse.com

Last edited by Matts4313 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
A freakin' evil looking 12 oz. bottle with a sketching of Rasputin and some Russian words (probably a hex on all who partake of the stout within).

Black as night, with a brown chunky head that seems to crawl, rather than stick, to the pint glass. A very impressive cascading effect when poured.

Highly roasted malt aromas and alcoholic to the nose.

Smooth, potent and espresso like with a high burnt malt and hop bitterness that finishes on the sweet side to say the least.

Very complex, and true to its style. Well worth the $3.00 (+/-) paid for the single bottle, and I'd definitely buy it again. Not a beer for the faint of heart, but rather barley wine lovers and chocolate fanatics.

Serving type: bottle

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/412/?ba=bros

Thats in the fridge. I will try one tonight or perhaps tomorrow.

That sounds good, probably not after I've been drinking already, but as a separate meal by itself.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 35 of 100

Jump to: