Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy hell!!! This thread is awesome!!!

I did not know it existed until about 6 hours ago. Well - Thats lead to some serious drinking.

I had the first page open on my phone at the liquor store and got the following:

Guniess 250
Coopers Stout (Ive made the homebrew - had to try the original)
Little Yella Pils
Old Chub
Bombshell Blonde

So Far:

LOVED the Guiness - It was really good
HATED the Coopers. I hated the Home Brew too, but I wanted to make sure I didnt mess it up
The Pils wad good. I would buy it again. But its not a fav of mine
Old Chub is good. Im about 1/2 way through my first.
Havent had the blonde yet, I will update.

GREAT THREAD!!!

Should we do one for wine and liquor as well, or just keep the beer one?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it.

I don't know that it would work that great for wine, since often the point is that the bottle express the field, each year producing a different quality.

Would probably work for liquor, then again I don't think that most drink liquor straight.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Glad you like it.

I don't know that it would work that great for wine, since often the point is that the bottle express the field, each year producing a different quality.

Would probably work for liquor, then again I don't think that most drink liquor straight.

As a fellow homebrewer - Whats your thoughts on the Coopers? Am I way out in left field here?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reissdorf Kölsch

Kolsch is a style similar to Champagne in that it the name not only refers to a style, but the geographical area of origin. Just like with the French Sparking wines, it is honored in Europe, but American Brewers seemingly could care less. A Kolsch is an ale from the Koln (Cologne) region of Germany that undergoes a lagering step to smooth out the flavors. They are typically very light ales, but tend to be a little more flavorful than their all lager counterparts.

Kolsch beers have a sweet fruityness from the yeast, maltyness from the grain, and light bittering hops. There may not be a more drinkable all malt style out there. It is perfect to enjoy during the summer months (many American Microbreweries and Brewpubs put out a summer seasonal that is in fact a Kolsch).

Reissdorf does not disappoint, being one of the flagship beers from Koln that define the style. It is light and drinkable, and the flavors are excellent. It has moderate alcohol at 4.8%.

It is perhaps a little more hopped than I would like. Unfortunately it only comes in 4 packs (by me) and is a little pricey (10.50), so isn't one to always get.

This is a very good stepping stone style for people used to American Megas, vice versa, it has all the qualities that the American Megas tout, but puts them together in a very nice package, and is something that a fan of micros/imports would enjoy.

Grade - 7.8

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Glad you like it.

As a fellow homebrewer - Whats your thoughts on the Coopers? Am I way out in left field here?

I don't think that I've ever had Coopers. Though I do recall seeing it (different color packaging for the style, yellow for the stout correct?)

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo

Brewer: Boulder Beer Company (Boulder, CO)
Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

My Review:
Pours a clear gold color, with no real head, but a light white foam on top. I have no idea how they got it like that in the picture. Scent is hops. Citrus, pine, floral, and light grass on the nose. Taste is the same, with light malt, and a nice crisp, bitter, finish. Full body, which can be expected from the style.

Like most IPA's the hops are the dominate flavor. When done right, it's not overpowering. This one is done right. It's not my favorite IPA - that honor goes to Dogfish Head 90 Minute - but it's not far off. A rare IPA that I'll actually order when I'm out. Really glad it was in the sample pack, and I look forward to finishing off the next two.

My Score: 8.0

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other day, had a Sweetwater IPA, then followed it with Brooklyn Lager (all-malt) wow, big difference. haha.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
the other day, had a Sweetwater IPA, then followed it with Brooklyn Lager (all-malt) wow, big difference. haha.

Brooklyn Lager is one of the hoppier lagers I've ever drank and I really like it. It's a good safety beer, but it's not particularly exciting.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty Betty Blond

Brewer: Boulder Beer Company (Boulder, CO)
Style: Seasonal/Wheat

My Review:
Pours a hazy yellow, with a very little white head. Scent is bready wheat, light citrus, and banana yeast. Taste is pretty much the same, wheat, light citrus, and a hint of banana. Light bodied, and slightly watery.

Tastes like a wheat should, might be a little lighter flavored though. It's not great, but not bad. Not something I'd regularly order, but that goes for most wheats. My wife loves it.

My Score: 6.0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:

the tulip glass is, imo, the best glass for beer.

Mine is a bit skinnier and taller, but almost identical.

I drink everything out of it, even though I have pretty much a full set of glasses.

It is one of those things, do you calibrate your glass to your tastes or to the individual beer you put in it. I prefer to calibrate it to my tastes.

Plus it provides a great reference. I've pretty much had every single one in this thread out of the same glass.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
mfw096

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMBERBOCK OR KILLIANS for the Win!!!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been doing a little studying....

I've been trying to find major brands for a true German Helles available here (I am crazy into German beer right now), and come to find out that in fact one that has been right under my nose, Lowenbrau, is in fact one.

However there are two versions of it, garbo and good. One is a product licensed by Miller that has corn in the grain bill and is basically Miller in a different bottle.

The other (Lowenbrau Original) is a Munich Helles imported from Munich, and Lowenbrau is one of the major Munich Breweries (in addition to Weishenstephaner and Spaten).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
So I've been doing a little studying....

I've been trying to find major brands for a true German Helles available here (I am crazy into German beer right now), and come to find out that in fact one that has been right under my nose, Lowenbrau, is in fact one.

However there are two versions of it, garbo and good. One is a product licensed by Miller that has corn in the grain bill and is basically Miller in a different bottle.

The other (Lowenbrau Original) is a Munich Helles imported from Munich, and Lowenbrau is one of the major Munich Breweries (in addition to Weishenstephaner and Spaten).

Helles bock is basically maibock, am I right? I do love maibock.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
SLCDallasFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think about Hefeweizen or other wheat beers?

I love them with a little lemon in them. I am more of a liquor man - love the jack and cokes - but I like that beer a lot.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9730715#9730715
"I concur about SLC. He's either town or a mafia phenom." - VikingsFan51
-It was the latter.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLCDallasFan wrote:
What do people think about Hefeweizen or other wheat beers?

I love them with a little lemon in them. I am more of a liquor man - love the jack and cokes - but I like that beer a lot.

Try them with an orange instead of a lemon. Its a nice change up.

I love wheat beers. Have you ever has a Tripel?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 33 of 100

Jump to: