Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout

Pours dark, almost opaque; gives only a very thin head that disappears very quickly and leaves no trace down the glass. Mouthfeel is generally pretty thick with only very slight carbonation.

The dominant flavor in this stout is roasted barley, not oatmeal, though there is certainly some of that flavor mixed in. It's not a very sweet beverage; there are light hints of sweetness, but the roasted malts are much more pronounced, resulting in a fairly bitter flavor, albeit a smooth one. Hopping is extremely light, especially on the nose. The aroma of this one is not unexpected . . . just a heavy roasted scent, and this is where you get most of the oatmeal out of it.

This is a pretty ho-hum beer, though a good one. Breckenridge didn't overdo it in trying to make their drink unique, and instead just wound up making a pretty classic tasting beverage. I'm not going to sing its praises, but it's a good beer and something I might try again if the mood strikes.

Overall Grade: 6.5

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest purchase: Sam Adams Brown Ale. I have only one left, so I think I'll review it later tonight.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Latest purchase: Sam Adams Brown Ale. I have only one left, so I think I'll review it later tonight.
sounds good. I'd love to have somebody review these for me in terms of the affordable basic tastes for college students:
Killian's Irish Red
Newcastle Brown Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Blue Moon

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
sounds good. I'd love to have somebody review these for me in terms of the affordable basic tastes for college students:
Killian's Irish Red
Newcastle Brown Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Blue Moon
Boston Lager is the only of those I really care for. Newcastle is alright as well, but I'm not as big of fan of it as many are.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:
scar988 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Killian's Irish Red
Newcastle Brown Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Blue Moon
Boston Lager is the only of those I really care for. Newcastle is alright as well, but I'm not as big of fan of it as many are.

I had Newcastle at a bar the other day and really disliked it. For one it comes in a clear bottle, and that's always bad news. It tasted far too sweet, too. I don't think I'll try it again.

I like all the other beers on that list, though.

MrDrew wrote:

Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:
scar988 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Killian's Irish Red
Newcastle Brown Ale
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Blue Moon

I had Newcastle at a bar the other day and really disliked it. For one it comes in a clear bottle, and that's always bad news. It tasted far too sweet, too. I don't think I'll try it again.

I like all the other beers on that list, though.

I can't stand Newcastle. IMO it is terrible. The clear bottles makes it even worse. Even out of a tap though. Ick.

I don't think that Killians is particularly Irish Red flavored. Budweiser American Ale is much closer to the flavor that I would look for in a Red. Killians IMO is American Pee with a hint of caramelized grain. Red works out because you can use minuscule amounts of roasted barley per bottle to get the color and flavor hint, as roasted barley is so strong. A lot of good Reds have a strong diacetyl (toffee) flavor from the yeast, Killians doesn't.

I really don't understand SA. I guess they were going for the Americanized Lager thing (10x more hops than needed is how we roll in the micros). It isn't really a lagered Ale (like a Kolsh), it is a Lager with as much bittering as an IPA (remember the Lagering process considerably mellows hops, for a Lager to be as hoppy as SA, they had to add A LOT of hops). I don't particularly care for SA, but I'll drink it if there is nothing better.

I don't mind Blue Moon, and it is a good example of the style, but the style is nowhere near my list of favorites and I rarely drink it.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashback Anniversary Ale

Brewer: Boulder Beer Company (Boulder, CO)
Style: Brown Ale

My Review:
Pours a clear caramel color, with a thick light-brown head. Scent is roasted malts, chocolate, and caramel when it's poured. All those scents fade, and the cascade hops take over, as it sits. Taste is very bold, both on the front and back ends. Flavor is roasted malt, chocolate, and a heavy dose of cascade hops to finish.

A very good brown, with an over-dose of a single type of hop. Boulder calls it an "India-Style Brown Ale" because of the heavy hops. I think this would have been much better had they lightened up on the hops, or used something less powerful than Cascade. Still very enjoyable, but I felt the hops took away from what was a very good brown.

My Score: 7.0

I bought a mixed 12 pack of Boulder beer. I already reviewed Hazed and Infused, so the next up will be Mojo IPA.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, isn't it like 1:00 pm your time?

Startin' early today, 'eh?

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to deschutes brewery up in portland this weekend, gonna get the sickest growler ever.

RaiderX with the assist^^
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Dude, isn't it like 1:00 pm your time?

Startin' early today, 'eh?

Startin' the review late. Drank it last night, and was playing games. Never got the chance to review it. But, if my wife wasn't at school, and I didn't have to take the kds to the movies, I might have already started.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had some friends over to play cards and never got a chance to review the Sam Adams' Brown Ale. What I can tell you is that it was just an okay drink . . . not really all that flavorful like Goose Island Nut Brown Ale, not as bready as Sam Smith's Nut Brown, and it had a bit more balance than either of those two because of the faint but noticible presence of hops.

Yesterday I bought a six-pack of Bell's Third Coast Beer, an American Blonde Ale (not to be confused with their Third Coast Ole Ale, which is a barleywine). It was alright; nothing to rave about. It tasted similar to Magic Hat #9, without the fruiting. It was also similar to Flying Dog's Golden Ale.

A few days ago I got Sam Adams Honey Porter; it sounded really good. I've only had one of them so far (I've barely been home at all), but I will say I was actually fairly impressed. But unlike a lot of porters, it doesn't have much of a roast flavor to it--a little, but it's much sweeter than most porters I've had. The exception is Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter, which is also very sweet, but it's also got a pretty heavy roast flavor.

MrDrew wrote:

BobSacamano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

I can't stand Newcastle. IMO it is terrible. The clear bottles makes it even worse. Even out of a tap though. Ick.
I pretty much agree. I wouldn't pick it and def would not pay for it.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
catspajamas75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like an ice cold Red Dog.

BobSacamano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catspajamas75 wrote:
Nothing like an ice cold Red Dog.
Red dog is still around? Shocked

KingTarvaris7 wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 32 of 100

Jump to: