Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
Where do you guys get your beer glasses from? I live in a pretty small town so finding them has been pretty hard to come by. Right now I just have a couple of Pint glasses that I use if I have a few buddies over to watch the game or something, a British Pint glass, and a Weizen that my Grandpa gave me. I'm trying to get my hands on a Goblet as I drink mostly Stouts, but I've yet to find one. Any suggestions?

You can buy anything online. Amazon has a pretty big collection, but most are expensive. I also found some at http://beergeekshop.com/ and http://www.pubglasses.com/

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I splurged and tried some new beers for my birthday. I'll throw up some reviews for Long Hammer, San Adams Imperial White,Schlafly's Summer Ale, and Shiner Bock

Waldo your Review of the Tripple Belgian Style was spot on. I like Fat Tire so I thought I'd give it a shot. Now I have to try the 1554.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Adopt A Viking: Brian Robison

GS: 9 TKLS: 15 SK: 3.0 FF: 0 FR: 1 TD: 1 PD: 2
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
Where do you guys get your beer glasses from? I live in a pretty small town so finding them has been pretty hard to come by. Right now I just have a couple of Pint glasses that I use if I have a few buddies over to watch the game or something, a British Pint glass, and a Weizen that my Grandpa gave me. I'm trying to get my hands on a Goblet as I drink mostly Stouts, but I've yet to find one. Any suggestions?
you can get them at target. I was given all 13 of mine.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinstripe Red Ale

Brewer: SKA Brewing Company (Durango, CO)
Style: Amber/Red Ale

Review:
Pours a reddish copper color, with a finger tall off-white head. Scent is malt, caramel, hits of fruit, and light hops. Taste is big on the malt, caramel, slightly sweet, and a light hop finish.

It's not the best beer I've had, but it's definitely one of the most drinkable. I bought a mixed 12 pack from SKA, and drank the 4 that came in it in the same sitting. I wanted more. More malty, but less hoppy, than Fat Tire. Even though it's malty, it's not too heavy. A good, but not great beer. One that you could sit around drinking all day, and not be disappointed. I have that feeling about most ambers though...

Score: 7.2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Bucky wrote:

You can buy anything online. Amazon has a pretty big collection, but most are expensive. I also found some at http://beergeekshop.com/ and http://www.pubglasses.com/

I know, but I want to touch and feel them before I buy one. I've checked a few websites and there are so many choices. That's why I want to buy them in person.

scar988 wrote:
you can get them at target. I was given all 13 of mine.

If only I lived near a target. The nearest one is about 90 miles away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm spending my summer in DC and have about a month left...

anybody from around here or familiar with what is available have any recommendations? I've been trying things here and there when I can but nothing has really just "wowed" me. Thanks dudes.
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

Left Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing is an American craft brewery based in Colorado. Their Milk Stout is a fine example of the style. A milk stout is similar to a traditional stout, with the primary flavor provided by unfermentable roasted barley, with the addition of Lactose Sugar derived from milk. Lactose is at best minimally fermentable by beer yeast, so there is a residual sweetness that it provides, similar concept to putting sugar in your coffee. You can't add normal sugar to beer, as the yeast just ferments it into alcohol. There is a lot of roasted barley used in this example, very little hops (only bittering), and only a moderate amount of Lactose.

What I like best, this is a fine example of what IMO is a very good beer style. It is overall a fairly basic example of the style, but there is nothing wrong with that, I tend to think that basic examples of styles tend to be a little better than crazy examples. The hints of sweetness balancing the roasted barley is an outstanding taste.

What I like least, I think that there is a wee bit too much roasted barley and not enough carmelized barley. It is very strong tasting. I wouldn't mind a little of the roasted barley being traded for some carmelized barley.

This is a strong tasting, but not heavy (or high alcohol), stout, with a very pleasant flavor. If you like Guinness you'll love this one. Personally it is not may favorite beer (though I do like it a whole lot), but I have met a number of people that consider it one of the best they've ever had.

Grade: 7.5

I purchased a six pack of this a couple of days ago and have been planning on doing a review on it, but I see you beat me to it. I was thinking that I'd give it between a 7 and an 8 as well. My first thoughts when I was drinking it was that it drinks a lot like Guinness. It's a good, not outstanding, beer that I would definately buy again.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djvenditti274 wrote:

anybody from around here or familiar with what is available have any recommendations? I've been trying things here and there when I can but nothing has really just "wowed" me. Thanks dudes.

There's a lot of good beer brewed in that area, it just depends on what styles you like. Dogfish Head, and Flying Dog, are two good brewers that come to mind first. I can narrow things down a little more if you can give a hint as to what styles you like, or some examples of beers that you've tried and liked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Dogfish Head

I was all set to buy their 90 Minute IPA the other day (Bob Sacamano recommended it for an IPA I was "guaranteed to like") when I realized they only sold four packs. For $10.99. No thank you. If it were a Brown or a Porter I might, but those are two types of beer I generally love. IPA is one I generally dislike, and I don't really care to spend $12 on it when all is said and done. If I could find a singular bottle of it for about $3.50, then okay.

I'm going to try to find that Guinness 250th Anniversary today . . . I haven't had any luck at my usual venues, for some surprising reason.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still can't find the Guinness 250th Anniversary. I came out of the liquor store with Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. I'll have a review up today or tomorrow.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
If only I lived near a target. The nearest one is about 90 miles away.

online then? they deliver everywhere.

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried the Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout yet. And talking with Waldo, that seems to be the best. I am looking for a beer to have as my 21st birthday 1st beer, and that stout is looking like it. They sell it at a convience store in my town too. which is even nicer.

Yo_Its_T.O.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victory brewing is a brand that I just discovered. Their Golden Monkey brew is absolutely unbelievable. .

Thanks EAtotheGLE
djvenditti274

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
djvenditti274 wrote:

There's a lot of good beer brewed in that area, it just depends on what styles you like. Dogfish Head, and Flying Dog, are two good brewers that come to mind first. I can narrow things down a little more if you can give a hint as to what styles you like, or some examples of beers that you've tried and liked.

I actually had the Dogfish head tonight, not the 90 but 60 which is only what the restaurant had on draft. It was definitely pretty good.

I'll admit though I'm probably not man enough just yet (college kid) to drink any stout and fully enjoy it. I can take some here and there, same with porters but I'm still easing my way into the darker ales.

I guess for starters I'd say that my favorite kinds/brewers are Sam Adams (multiple beers), Bell's (Seasonal, Amber), and Red Hook (ESB, Fuller's too)...with Red Hook and Bell's I need to try more of their beer but right now those are probably my favorite beers to drink when I'm actually wanting to sit back and relax.

Thanks again
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djvenditti274 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
djvenditti274 wrote:

I actually had the Dogfish head tonight, not the 90 but 60 which is only what the restaurant had on draft. It was definitely pretty good.

I'll admit though I'm probably not man enough just yet (college kid) to drink any stout and fully enjoy it. I can take some here and there, same with porters but I'm still easing my way into the darker ales.

I guess for starters I'd say that my favorite kinds/brewers are Sam Adams (multiple beers), Bell's (Seasonal, Amber), and Red Hook (ESB, Fuller's too)...with Red Hook and Bell's I need to try more of their beer but right now those are probably my favorite beers to drink when I'm actually wanting to sit back and relax.

Thanks again

Check out Flying Dog. Their amber is a yearly award winner at the GABF, their porter is one of the easiest drinking dark beers around (I did a review of it in here), and the Kölsch is also very good (reviewd that one too).

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 31 of 100

Jump to: