Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 12-pack sampler of Flying Dog that had their Porter, Golden Ale, Amber Lager, IPA, Pale Ale, and Hefeweizen. It's all pretty good, but none of it is exceptional. Probably wasn't worth the $19 I paid for it, but oh well.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I bought a 12-pack sampler of Flying Dog that had their Porter, Golden Ale, Amber Lager, IPA, Pale Ale, and Hefeweizen. It's all pretty good, but none of it is exceptional. Probably wasn't worth the $19 I paid for it, but oh well.

I tried one of their beers from a local specialty shop around the corner I was not that impressed either.

That is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
Bucky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the refined taste buds of some of you in here, but I do know that I enjoy micros much more than I do the 'fizzy yellow stuff in a can' as it was put earlier. I like to try different brews as often as I can so I figured I'd start joining you guys in these reviews. Hopefully by participating in this thread more I'll be able to learn more about the brewing process and different types of beers, etc.

Berghoff Sundown Dark

I was really disappointed with this beer. Berghoff has a pretty interesting brewing history and I was excited when I bought the beer. After drinking the first in the six pack I regretted my decision. The bottle claims to be a dark beer, but it's far from it, I think it drinks more like a Bock. I found it to be super thin with too much carbonation and a bit of a grainy texture. There really isn't much taste to this beer either. It has a carmel sweetness when it first hits the palate, then it quickly fades and finishes dry leaving a very unpleasant aftertaste. I still have five bottles in my fridge and I expect them to stay there for awhile. This would probably be a good beer for someone looking to get into the micro scene but doesn't want to start with a heavier beer.

Grade - 3.3

Blue Moon
[img]http://flyfishingtimes.com/images/blue-moon_belgian_white-review-th.jpg
[/img]Blue Moon is available pretty much everywhere as it's owned by Coors. I didn't buy any of these, my Uncle brought some over so I decided to try one. A lot of people like this Beer, I can't say I agree with them. I don't know if I'm sensitive to coriander or what; I found the coriander to be overbearing and completely off-putting. I don't use Coriander very often in my cooking (I could probably count on one hand how often I've used Coriander), but as soon as I took my first drink of the beer I told my girlfriend that the Coriander in it is way over powering. All I remember about this beer is Coriander. Perhaps I should give it another try instead of bashing it after one beer, but I can't get over how strong the coriander was in it.

Grade - 3.2

Summit Brewing Commpany: Great Northern Porter

I picked this up at a local grocery store. I live in a small town so the majority of the stores only have major brewing companies, this was the only micro they had at the store. I'm not sure why they have this one over other micros that are much closer, but I digress. This is a pretty good beer, nothing memorable but I'd drink it again. It's your classic porter with roasted malts that's pretty-well balanced, I'd like it to be a little thicker on the palate. There is a bit of depth to the flavor with hints of chocolate, caramel, coffee and smokey scent to it. Overall, I'd buy it again, but I wouldn't go out singing praises about it.

Grade - 5.9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

Bell's brewery is located in Comstock, MI and it's known for producing several high-quality beers, including Two Hearted Ale (IPA) and Oberon (Wheat). I've been on a dark beer binge lately, so I decided to pick this up at the store the other day. Kalamazoo Stout is essentially a milk stout; it's got lactose in it, a sugar not fermentable by yeast.

It pours dark, almost opaque, and leaves a fairly thin but very dark head that leaves a frothy kind of lace down the glass. The aroma is basically what you'd expect out of a stout. It is dominated by roasted malt and has a very heavy scent. Mouthfeel is creamy . . . the flavor isn't exceptionally complex, but the lactose lends a perfect amount of sweetness to it, which is nice. It's not overly bitter like Guinness Extra Stout, but it's also not overpoweringly sweet like a Dubbel. It's just well-balanced. There is no discernable hopping in the beer . . . which works for me, since I'm not a hop freak.

All-in-all it's a pretty good beer. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's worth a try.

Grade: 7.0

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that it has licorice in it too. I thought that I reviewed it, guess not, I just had it a few weeks ago. I'd give it about the same grade.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sister just gave me 10 beer glasses. this is friggin awesome. I have been wanting one for my birthday this year, and she gave me 10 because she had a bunch of kitchen stuff she didn't want anymore. all of them are different shapes. Here they are.

Which one do you think would be best Waldo?

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:

Wouldn't that depend what you're drinking out of it?

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Waldo called it right again. I bought a 6 of the Guinness 250th, and it's every bit of good as the review. It's closer to what I've had from Ireland, and England, than any other Guinness in the US. Not bad on the price either, only paid $8.88 for the 6. If you want an easy drinking stout, this is the one. Good call Waldo.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm drinking an IPA right now (if you'll recall, I generally dislike IPA). I hate the aftertaste, but it's very good up until I swallow it. Especially the aroma. But it doesn't hurt that it's got like 8% alcohol and it's got me buzzed even though I'm only about 3/4ths of the way through it. Powerful.

MrDrew wrote:
Well, Waldo called it right again. I bought a 6 of the Guinness 250th, and it's every bit of good as the review. It's closer to what I've had from Ireland, and England, than any other Guinness in the US. Not bad on the price either, only paid $8.88 for the 6. If you want an easy drinking stout, this is the one. Good call Waldo.

Balls. I couldn't find it at my usual source for all things good, which is surprising since Waldo said it was fairly easy to come by. I'll have to do some scrounging and see if I can't find it somewhere else (hopefully somewhere not 45 minutes from my house Mad)

MrDrew wrote:

scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:
scar988 wrote:

Wouldn't that depend what you're drinking out of it?

let's just say this beer review thread is giving me the ideas for what I want to drink out of them. I also have this beer glass:

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tulip glass is, imo, the best glass for beer.

RaiderX with the assist^^
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried a couple out and what I've found is that the glass itself does change the flavors of the beer subtley. I need to learn how to pick out what the different things are still though.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every style of beer needs a certain style glass to bring everything out in them. You should really have 4-5 different styles of glasses, depending on how many styles of beer you drink.

I found a pretty good guide on the subject

http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/archives/beerbreak20010322.php

If you really want to search for a specific style......

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Every style of beer needs a certain style glass to bring everything out in them. You should really have 4-5 different styles of glasses, depending on how many styles of beer you drink.

That's what I was trying to imply as well.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
Bucky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you guys get your beer glasses from? I live in a pretty small town so finding them has been pretty hard to come by. Right now I just have a couple of Pint glasses that I use if I have a few buddies over to watch the game or something, a British Pint glass, and a Weizen that my Grandpa gave me. I'm trying to get my hands on a Goblet as I drink mostly Stouts, but I've yet to find one. Any suggestions?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 30 of 100

Jump to: