Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

You may want to try that one again. There's something about watching your team lose that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It may have affected the taste of the beer.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
^^^

You may want to try that one again. There's something about watching your team lose that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It may have affected the taste of the beer.

That review is based on the one I drank last night, not based on the one I drank while watching the Red Wings embarrass themselves.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
theboat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
^^^

That review is based on the one I drank last night, not based on the one I drank while watching the Red Wings embarrass themselves.

I'm the opposite of you. I liked the Sam Smith much more than the Goose Island.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trippel Belgian Ale

Brewer: New Belgium Brewing Company (Fort Collins, CO)
Style: Abbey Tripel Belgian Style Ale

My Review:
Pours clear yellow, with a small white head. Lacing was minimal, but there was some trace. Scent is fruity, very fruity, with some light malt. Taste was malt, fruity, spice, light vanilla, with a very slight hop in the finish. A pretty heavy body for such a light beer.

It was very surprising how complex this bright yellow beer was. There was a lot of different flavors going on. When I poured it, I expected a water beer, boy I was wrong. The scents jumped out at you, and the favor was pretty big. Something the I will definitely start drinking more of..

My Score: 7.5

Last edited by MrDrew on Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
good review, i've never tried that one.

CoCoNut PorTeR

Brewer: Maui Brewing Company
Style: Porter
ABV: 5.7%

Pours black with a small dark head, second try I poured less cautiously which produced a much better frothier head. The scent of coconut is not all that noticeable which is surprising given the beer's name. The other smells include cocoa and coffeeish malt. Not very thick for a porter, i would have expected it to be much more potent as well in terms of getting me drunk. I could taste more chocolate than i could coconut, it also seemed more dry than i would have expected with a short lingering alcohol aftertaste. Very drinkable for a porter.

I'm trying to get into drinking more quality canned beers. I picked up a 6 pack of old chub and liked this better although the two styles are extremely different and I'm a much bigger porter fan than a scotch ale.

My Score: 7.3

EDIT: just had another one and I have to update my rating, it's more like a 6.0 imo.

RaiderX with the assist^^

Last edited by ienjoythesnow on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god I love this thread. so many great ideas to go try at world market.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Dog Best Bitter

I'm certain its not available in the states, but i'll do it anyways!
Brewed Rome, Italy

4.8%

Cask brew with Real sneaky hops. Golden/orange beer with a thinner beige head on on it, Cloudy too. It starts off with a bit of a sweet note then abruptly ends with a bit of a bitter kick. Fruity or sweet aroma
I liked it a good deal.

Rating : 8.2

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third page of TAST? Not on my watch. This is my favorite thread on TAST and since I try a new kind of beer just about every week, I'll be making sure this thread stays visible Laughing

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

I was at the liquor store (not one of my favorite venues, but one I knew had a fair selection of craft beers) and was in the mood for a porter. This one was pretty much all they had, so I went with it.

I've had a couple of these beers now (separate occasions) and I have to say this beer is night-and-day different when drank from a glass as opposed to when sipped straight from the bottle. I would actually recommend trying both methods, as it's a good beer from either medium.

When poured into a glass, the beer pours a very small head that leaves noticeable but sparse lacing throughout the glass as one drinks it. It's a very dark brown that's almost opaque, though if you hold it up to a light it has a kind of ruby color in it as well.

I should point out my nose is a little iffy tonight because of the heat. So while my aroma receptors are a bit off, this beer is giving me a heavy roasty scent with, as one might imagine, vanilla tones. In short, it smells just like a vanilla porter should.

When I drank from the glass the other day, it was an almost stiflingly sweet beer, something like one might expect from a maibock variety or a Belgian dubbel type of beer. The chocolate and coffee flavors are bolder than the vanilla flavor, though that comes through a bit more in the finishing stages. The flavor of hops is definitely present in the background, much moreso than in any other porter I've ever had (which admittedly is a fairly short list).

The flavor out of the bottle is much less pronounced. The sweetness isn't as formidable and the hops are more prominent. It tastes like a porter, but the hopping is much more distinct that I remember it last night.

This is a quality beer, but it's a little overpriced out here in Michigan. I imagine it would be less costly at another store (the one I went to is far too expensive for my tastes), but the sticker price was $11.49 on this six pack and that's a bit much for me. I will enjoy the rest of this six pack but I doubt I'll purchase this again. It's good, but not special enough for the price.

Overall Rating: 7.5

EDIT: I've just noticed Mr. Drew already reviewed this beer earlier. Oh well.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

This is a quality beer, but it's a little overpriced out here in Michigan. I imagine it would be less costly at another store (the one I went to is far too expensive for my tastes), but the sticker price was $11.49 on this six pack and that's a bit much for me. I will enjoy the rest of this six pack but I doubt I'll purchase this again. It's good, but not special enough for the price.

That hurts. Hate to make you feel worse about it, but it's $7-$9 here in CO. I don't think I'd like it as much for over $11.

It's definitely a beer you have to be in the mood for. It's not something you can eat a steak with, unlike most porters. Like most breweries, Breck has a recipe section. The Vanilla Porter's recipe is a milkshake
http://www.breckbrew.com/food/vanilla_porter_milkshake.html
The perfect fit. An Ice cream sunday would be a perfect pairing with this one, and a vanilla cheesecake would be great too. Like I said before, it's kind of a dessert beer, if there is such a thing.

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

yet waldo took credit for grading it on the front page Think Very Happy

that beer sounds delicious btw, porters always seem to be my favorite beers. although i do love a good IPA.

what say you fellas, what are your favorite styles of beer?
my list would look like this
1a. india pale ale
1b. porter
3. stout
4. DIPA
5. imperial stouts

my least favorites
1. Lambics
2. Bocks
3. scotch ales (never been a huge fan)
4. pilsner

RaiderX with the assist^^
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

yet waldo took credit for grading it on the front page Think Very Happy

that beer sounds delicious btw, porters always seem to be my favorite beers. although i do love a good IPA.

my list would look like this
1a. india pale ale
1b. porter
3. stout
4. DIPA
5. imperial stouts

my least favorites
1. Lambics
2. Bocks
3. scotch ales (never been a huge fan)
4. pilsner

I should've broke that one up. It just so happened, when you reviewed it, I had it in my fridge, and that was still very early before there were any other reviewers that had shown to be more than "Budweiser 8.9" (once we got in a rhythm this thread turned out great). Multiple reviews are fine, I'll list all the separate scores, even if I only list one review link.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite styles:

Scotch Ale
Porter
Dopplebock
Marzen
Red Ale
Brown Ale
Alt
Kolsh

Least Favorite
IPA
Pilsner
Imperial Stout
Barelywine
American Light Lager
Begian Trappist Ale

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:

That's hard to say. I don't think I could really give you a rank order of my favorite varieties. My current favorite is a Brown Ale, but then again there are some browns I just don't care for. I don't really care for IPAs all that much; they're too hoppy for my taste, though ordinary pale ales are fine by me. On the opposite side of the spectrum, many stouts are a bit too much for me as well, but I generally do like porters. I guess I don't like either extreme.

I like a good Red as well. I've never met a red I didn't like, whether it's Killian's Lager (conveniently cheap) or Smitwick's Irish Red Ale. Reds aren't overwhelmingly good, but I do like their consistency.

Wheat beers are quite nice as well, especially this time of year. They are always refreshing, very easy to drink, and even people who aren't very into beer will enjoy them most of the time. A good beer to use if you want to segue from the Bud/Miller/Coors market into craft brews.

There are some varieties I haven't tried enough of to get a good feel for them. I would like to try other maibocks. The only kind I've had was at this microbrewery in Rochester, MI. It's a seasonal beer but I absolutely love it. It's got a very strong caramel flavor to it with some floral hopping to balance it nicely. Normally those kinds of beers aren't very refreshing, but this one is mysteriously so. I wish it were available in bottles so I could take it home with me.

In no particular order here are the beers I like most:

1) Brown Ale
2) Irish-style Red
3) Porter
4) Wheat

And the beers I'm generally not a fan of:

1) India Pale Ale
2) Lambic
3) Pilsner (I should note I've never tried any other than the megabrews)
4) Stout

MrDrew wrote:

Waldo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

It has been generally agreed apon by a lot of sources that the beer American Mega brewers called "Pilsner" should be reclassified as "American Light Lager" so as not to insult the European style known as Pilsner, which is a fairly highly hopped all malt style, whereas the American styles have virtually undetectable hops and are not all malt beers.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

It has been generally agreed apon by a lot of sources that the beer American Mega brewers called "Pilsner" should be reclassified as "American Light Lager" so as not to insult the European style known as Pilsner, which is a fairly highly hopped all malt style, whereas the American styles have virtually undetectable hops and are not all malt beers.

If I ever find Brooklyn Pilsner I will try it. I've been wanting to try Urquell for a while as well, and I know a few places where I could find that fairly easily.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 25 of 100

Jump to: