Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Budweiser American Ale

I tried this once. It really wasn't too bad. I think 5.5 is a bit generous, since that implies it's above average. If the worst beer you've ever had is a 1 (Natural Ice?), and the best beer you've rated here is an 8.6 or an 8.7, I would probably think Budweiser American Ale should fall somewhere in the 4's: not something you would buy unless you're really strapped for cash or unless you're somewhere with a poor selection, but also not something you have to choke down.

But you're pretty much right when you talk about this being a good introductory beer for someone looking to branch out from your typical Budweiser/Miller/Coors branch of beers. It's made by Budweiser, so it won't scare anyone away, but it's a welcome deviation from watery pilsners.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Budweiser American Ale

I tried this once. It really wasn't too bad. I think 5.5 is a bit generous, since that implies it's above average. If the worst beer you've ever had is a 1 (Natural Ice?), and the best beer you've rated here is an 8.6 or an 8.7, I would probably think Budweiser American Ale should fall somewhere in the 4's: not something you would buy unless you're really strapped for cash or unless you're somewhere with a poor selection, but also not something you have to choke down.

But you're pretty much right when you talk about this being a good introductory beer for someone looking to branch out from your typical Budweiser/Miller/Coors branch of beers. It's made by Budweiser, so it won't scare anyone away, but it's a welcome deviation from watery pilsners.

I agree here. I like Bud AA. For a mass produced beer it isn't bad but for an above average ranking isn't doing justice to the other 5s and 6s here.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13sieve wrote:
Waldo wrote:
^^^^Dudes, is this necessary...., just let it go, don't worry about it. Have a beer.

MrDrew wrote:
The belief that a great beer has to be dark and heavy is a total misconception.

One of my highest rated ones is probably one of the lightest ones reviewed in this thread.

No its not, thats why i quit.

And ok, someone should give me some of your fav light beers. im not a fan of heavy dark beers. Give me some advise. I changed my mind and i think im going to make a trip to sioux falls tommorow to go to a larger liquor store to find some of this stuff.

Stay away from Ales then. Normally they are thicker and darker. For a light beer in feel and color I like Spartan, but only when it's fresh. Don't get the ones that have been sitting there for a while. When it's fresh it has the body of most domestics here but there was other flavors that only German beer has present. Needless to say I liked it.

I also like quite a few India Pale Ales. They have a stronger hops taste than most and still keep a crisp feeling of the lagers.

Stay thristy my friends.....

That is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biere De Mars

Brewer: New Belgium Brewing Company (Fort Collins, CO)
Style: Bière de Garde/Seasonal/Fruit

My Review:
Pours a golden/orange color, with a small white head. Head thins out quickly, but lacing is nice throughout the glass. Scent is a bready malt, cherries, and a faint hint of hops. Taste is the same. Starts off malty, with a slightly tart cherry in the middle, and finishes with very light hops.

Once a seasonal release to celebrate the half winter, half spring, month of March, now it's a limited time brew. A real shame too, because it only took one to become my favorite New Belgium beer. Instead on a cherry wheat, it's a cherry ale. The cherry isn't overpowering, but has enough of a presence to really enjoy. It's one that I would keep in my fridge regularly, if it was regularly brewed.

My Score: 8.2

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale to enjoy during the game tonight. A 4-pack for $12.99! I'm expecting big things. I love brown ale and their Oatmeal Stout was very very good. If it's better than Goose Island's Nut Brown Ale I might have a new favorite beer.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

BobSacamano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
9%
I'm not a huge stout guy and don't have too much experience with them but I'll give this a try

Nice tan head. Coffee, camel and hops taste.Real rich smell and a thick beer.

Rating: 8.9, I like it a good deal. I think the reason I liked it was because I'm a big IPA guy and I could absolutely taste them hops.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
jags28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. Any of you guys know if you sell a type of cider called Bulmers over there?

Thanks to BillyShears for the sig
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jags28 wrote:
Quick question. Any of you guys know if you sell a type of cider called Bulmers over there?

I've never seen it.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Budweiser American Ale

See, I disagree though, I thought that it was pretty good. One thing I have little tolerance for is people who aren't very good at brewing overall, but throw in way too much stuff to hide flavors of other parts that aren't the best. Unbalanced recipes, or recipes that do something just to say they did on the bottle, that isn't really all that good.

Bud's is actually a pretty good effort on a unique American Ale. I guess I see the megas different than a lot of beer snobs, their beer doesn't suck because they suck at brewing. You get that with lesser micros, but not the megas. Megas suck because they are too cheap to use real beer ingredients in real quantities.

They are all the same too. Get highly modified barley that has powerful enzyme action, extremely pale typically. Add no caramelized malt. Add just enough hops to call it "beer" instead of "malt liquor", but the hoppiest megas have no more than 1/4th the hops of the lightest hopped micros. Then add a good amount of corn starch or rice starch to the mash to be converted by the malt, too make up a good portion of the fermentable sugar. After all, both have very little flavor (some though), and both are much cheaper than malt, so they can get more bang for the buck out of the more expensive malt. American megas are almost like the Vodka of beer, they add just enough malt to have the enzyme action to convert all the starches, and just enough hops to call it beer, they skimp on all ingredients but sugar, and then lager it, which makes them practically flavorless. It may taste like garbage, but it is also the most difficult beer to brew. There is no room for error, off tastes are obvious, QC is ridiculously tough. It is a very scientific process.

With American Ale they let loose a bit. They used a caramelized malt. The base malt and bulk of the sugars come from the same ultra pale highly modified American, but I don't think there is a corn or rice adjunct. I think that its a full malt beer. They used a shocking amount of hops, it is bitter, and hop flavored, however they also kept it separate from the malt taste and didn't overdo it, it doesn't taste like hop juice. But is still very noticeable. They also used high diacetyl yeast, which is fairly uncommon in all walks of brewing, especially out of a mega, they typically have absolutely flavorless strains of yeast.

Now could they have done more. Yeah. That beer could use more caramlized malt. A lot more. But I think they nailed the hopping and had a great yeast choice. It is a very distinct beer and not bad at all. It was also a very light beer for how flavorful it was.

But it is also a distinctly American style ale. We make much hoppier beer than the rest of the world, and Bud American is definitely hoppy. Most of ours tend to be so hoppy that there is very little in the way of non hop flavors, Bud got both a little malt flavor and some yeast flavor to go along with the hoppiness.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone that will be traveling to Ireland, Scotland, and England next summer, what beers or drinks would you guys suggest trying while I'm over there?
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
For someone that will be traveling to Ireland, Scotland, and England next summer, what beers or drinks would you guys suggest trying while I'm over there?

Without a doubt, you need to take a tour of the Guiness factory in Dublin. From what I've heard, Guiness is much much much fresher than what we experience over in America.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Without a doubt, you need to take a tour of the Guiness factory in Dublin. From what I've heard, Guiness is much much much fresher than what we experience over in America.

It is a whole different world. My friend's mom is from Dublin, and her family is still there. I convinced her brother to bring me a few pints when he'd come to the US for a visit. He was actually nice enough to shove a 12 pack in luggage for me and my buddy to split.

Even the Guinness from England is far better than what they have here.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jags28 wrote:
I think I remember drinking it at a pub in Rome, but I've never seen it here.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

When pol I toured the Guiness factory in Dublin. I stayed in the sample room for a good hour before they politely asked me to leave. Laughing

I'm not a big Guiness fan, but they had some brews over there not available in the states that i very much enjoyed. The North Star one was probably my favorite.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is on the second page of TAST and that's a downright shame.

Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Pours dark brown with a generous but relatively sparse head (i.e. it disappears fairly quickly), which leaves a light lacing down the glass. Its aroma is nutty, almost salty, and kind of smells like baked bread. I poured it straight out of the refrigerator, but I have to say it's better served around 50 degrees rather than around 40, because the flavors are much more pronounced at the higher temperature. There is very little sweetness to it, and its flavor is extremely nutty, something of a cross between hazelnut and walnut, maybe some almond. I don't detect much more than that. It's extremely lightly hopped, which I suppose is typical of the genre, but when I see a beer with such little hop content I would expect it to be sweeter.

I'm fairly disappointed. Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a very good brew and I was expecting a lot out of this considering that and how well I enjoyed Goose Island's incarnation of this very same variety, but this isn't quite as enjoyable. Not only that, but it cost me $12.99 plus tax and deposit (which, in Michigan, is $0.10 per bottle), so I was expecting very big things. I'm trying to grade this on a curve independent of its price, but I'm having a hard time doing so. I could have bought a dozen Newcastles for this price and would have been much better off.

This is definitely a sipping beer. If gulped you will hate it. When sipped it's much more enjoyable. However, I think it's quite safe to say I won't be buying this again, especially at the asking price. It doesn't help that I bought this four pack to enjoy while watching game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals only to see my team lose, either Evil or Very Mad

Overall Rating: 5.75

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 24 of 100

Jump to: