Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a Piraat in my fridge. Good stuff.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Hmmm, I don't get out to Cali much. I've been to SF twice, both times heading up to wine country. Other than that I haven't been to the state.

I cannot possibly convey how much I want to visit Scotland and Bavaria.

My wife studied in Scotland for a semester in college. She absolutely loved it. As soon as she is done with Grad School and can afford such a vacation, she is dragging me out there.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
boondock

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre004 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Hmmm, I don't get out to Cali much. I've been to SF twice, both times heading up to wine country. Other than that I haven't been to the state.

I cannot possibly convey how much I want to visit Scotland and Bavaria.

My wife studied in Scotland for a semester in college. She absolutely loved it. As soon as she is done with Grad School and can afford such a vacation, she is dragging me out there.

Off Topic, but if you fly into London, then ferry/fly to Scotland/Ireland it's much cheaper. My boss did this and saved about $500 total.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawtooth Ale

Brewer: Left Hand Brewing Company (Longmont, CO)
Style: Extra Special Bitter (ESB)

My Review:
Pours a rich clear copper color, with a thin white head that disappears pretty fast. Scent is caramel, malty, with some bitter hops. Taste is caramel up front, with some light citrus hops, and a nice bitter finish.

An interesting blend of flavors that worked well together. I expected more bitter, but I was pleased with how they did it. I don't think it's something I'll seek out again, but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

My Score: 7.0

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Last edited by MrDrew on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to give you all a very odd food paring. You might laugh, but it was actually perfect.

I broke out one of the Left Hand Milk Stouts from my mixed 12 pack. I intentionally did it to try with............S'mores. No I'm not kidding.

I BBq'd some pork chops, which I had a APA that I'll review later, and promised the kids we'd make s'mores with the charcoal. Then I got this crazy idea to try the Milk Stout with it. I'm glad I did.

The Third Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Sam Adams Imperial: Double Bock, pretty good beer it has 10% alcohol coompared to the usual 5%. Good beer and smooth, I give it an 8.

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you won't be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackman's Pale Ale

Brewer: Left Hand Brewing Company (Longmont, CO)
Style: American Pale Ale

My Review:
Pours a clear copper. Minimal head that disappears quickly, Don't let the picture fool you. There is a little bit of a patchy foam that stays around for a few. Scent is light caramel malt, with the hops coming through a little stronger. Hop scent is citrus, pine, light spice, and a little bitter citrus. Taste is the same, light caramel malt, some spice, and a light bitter finish. Lighter flavor than the other APA's I've reviewed. Slightly watery, but not enough to take away from the taste. Not bad, but not in the same league as Dale's or Hazed & Infused.

My Score: 6.25

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest purchases:

1) Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier, which Waldo already reviewed here. He gave it a 6.5 while I would trend it down a little more toward 6.0. As most Sam Adams beers go, it's an above-average brew, but not something you want to pay $12 for a six pack for. They did a good job of adding just the right amount of blackberry, as Waldo pointed out, but I really don't like how the beer finishes. It's a little bit more bitter than I would have expected from a fruit-oriented beer. I like Leinenkugel's comparable offerings a bit more (Sunset Wheat and Summer Shandy).

2) Goose Island Oatmeal Stout

I purchased this because I bought and reviewed their Nut Brown Ale a little while ago, and because I had purchased Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout shortly thereafter. Sam Smith's version was a very, very good beer, and I think Mr. Drew's 7.75 rating is a very fitting one. But on to this particular beer . . .

I'm not all that well-versed in stouts, and I would by no means call myself an expert on them. But this was a beer I enjoyed well enough. I drank it out of the bottle because I don't have a balloon goblet (which is the recommended glassware). However, the beer is extremely dark--nearly black, quite close to opaque--and develops a formidably thick head. I was surprised to find that it was only 5.1% ABV, because it definitely tastes like a very strong beer. It's dominated by roasted malts and has notes of dark chocolate in it; it's not extremely sweet, but it falls on that side of the spectrum rather than on the bitter side. It's only very lightly hopped with almost just a token sprinkling of hops.

The best part about this one is the flavor upon sipping it; the initial flavor is pretty potent and quite pleasant. Unfortunately it doesn't finish quite as well as the Sam Smith version that I enjoyed a couple of weeks ago, but this beer is much less expensive; overall I'd say it's a better value. I can't really complain about it. I will be buying this variety again sometime.

Goose Island is quickly turning into one of my favorite breweries and I plan on giving the Honker's Ale another shot. I was only starting to venture outside of the megabrews when I first tried it.

Recipe Information:
Style: English Style Stout
Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%
International Bitterness Units: 30
Color: Ruby over Black
Hops: UK Fuggle, Willamette
Malts: 2-Row, Roasted Barley, Oat Flake, Barley Flake, Caramel, Debittered Black

Serving Suggestions:
Preferred Glass: Snifter
Preferred Serving Temperature: 40
Food Pairings: Beef, Hearty Stews, Chocolate Cake
Cheese Pairings: Stilton, Cheddar
Cellaring Notes: Enjoy within 180 days

My Rating: 7.0

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
PackerFanDan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo, or anybody else, what are your thoughts on Smithwick's Irish Ale? I had some last night and I thought it was pretty good. Tasted like caramel.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerFanDan wrote:
Waldo, or anybody else, what are your thoughts on Smithwick's Irish Ale? I had some last night and I thought it was pretty good. Tasted like caramel.

It's one of my fall back beers at a bar, if they do not have any micro brews or something I have not tried before. It's not too thick, but still very filling at the same time.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
PackerFanDan wrote:

It's one of my fall back beers at a bar, if they do not have any micro brews or something I have not tried before. It's not too thick, but still very filling at the same time.

I had it once, and remember liking it. I do remember it not being a real full body, but it felt like a real heavy stout at the end. Just something I'll have to try again.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
boondock wrote:
PackerFanDan wrote:

I had it once, and remember liking it. I do remember it not being a real full body, but it felt like a real heavy stout at the end. Just something I'll have to try again.

I've had it a few times, and as Boondock points out it's a good safety beer. Nothing special, but a good above-average brew to drink when you'd rather not have Miller/Bud/Coors. Probably in the same quality category as a Blue Moon or a Guinness. As I understand things, it's basically the "standard" beer in Ireland, much like Miller/Bud/Coors is here. Of course it's a better beer than any of those brands. Overall I think it's a tad overpriced, not that it's all that expensive, but you do pay an import premium on it. I buy it occasionally when I just want a standard beer (not a stout or a porter or a pale ale or an IPA or what have you).

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
13sieve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
The problem with threads like these is that they get over-run with posts from guys who know nothing more than getting drunk. They don't realize that there is an art to making beer, and of course, it costs more to brew a higher quality. Instead of enjoying a high quality work of art, they'd rather spend $5 on a 6-pack of garbage, because "it gets the job done".

So instead of making posts about how Coors Light is the best because it's cheap, learn about good beer. Learn about what the different scents and tastes are. Learn what the different styles are. Learn what a lager actually is, and what it takes to make it, instead of believing it's what Bud is because it's on the can. You wouldn't go into a wine tasting room and tell everybody the boxed stuff is the best because it's cheap, so why do it here?

Accually, i really do like this beer. It taste better in my tastes. I dont like stuff the does down like syrup. yuck, thick beer has never been my thing. So im just wondering if its an art. Then why isnt the best beer the most popular? I dont belive the ones that you that are rated that high you can get in any ole liquer store? I believe all the great painting are up on display for everyone to look at and everybody can relize what it is. but man, nobody knows these syrup tasing beers you have.

I'll stick with my good tasting go down smooth, sit back and relax on the chair in the front yard and drink with my buddies kinda beer first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13sieve wrote:
Then why isnt the best beer the most popular?

same reason why most people don't go to 5 star restaurants every night, if their food is the best why isn't that the most popular? there's a reason why more people go to mcdonalds more than any other restaurant and it's not because the food tastes good. get the picture i'm painting? people don't want to pay for high priced beer that they don't have the pallet for.

13sieve wrote:
I dont belive the ones that you that are rated that high you can get in any ole liquer store?

yes you can, where do you think people like us buy them? a special hidden liquor store only for people who like (in your words) syrup tasting beer?

13sieve wrote:

nobody knows these syrup tasing beers you have.

i do. please don't speak for me.

RaiderX with the assist^^
13sieve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
13sieve wrote:
Then why isnt the best beer the most popular?

same reason why most people don't go to 5 star restaurants every night, if their food is the best why isn't that the most popular? there's a reason why more people go to mcdonalds more than any other restaurant and it's not because the food tastes good. get the picture i'm painting? people don't want to pay for high priced beer that they don't have the pallet for.

13sieve wrote:
I dont belive the ones that you that are rated that high you can get in any ole liquer store?

yes you can, where do you think people like us buy them? a special hidden liquor store only for people who like (in your words) syrup tasting beer?

13sieve wrote:

nobody knows these syrup tasing beers you have.

i do. please don't speak for me.

Okay,
Im sorry for that then. Ok im my liquer store in my town i have never heard of ANY of these. so sorry. never seen em there.
Applebees>almost any 5* restraunt i ate at. plus its $50 cheeper a plate.
I dont eat Mcdonalds so dont speak for me

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 22 of 100

Jump to: