Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy I'm glad I remembered your review on Left Hand's Brown. I had it in my hand at the store when it just hit me, I put it down and got Bell's Porter.

Why is it that so many breweries versions of Brown's are fails. Browns are so easy to make.

Initial taste of mine is a Shocked

Once the bittering hops mellow a bit that bad boy is gonna be crazy good. One of the best I've tasted at the racking stage.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
boondock

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Boy I'm glad I remembered your review on Left Hand's Brown. I had it in my hand at the store when it just hit me, I put it down and got Bell's Porter.

Why is it that so many breweries versions of Brown's are fails. Browns are so easy to make.

Once the bittering hops mellow a bit that bad boy is gonna be crazy good. One of the best I've tasted at the racking stage.

I think they try to do too much to make their brown original, which makes it fail in the long run.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrapin 90 Shelling

The Terrapin brewery is located in Bulldog country in Athens, Ga. Known mostly for their Rye Ale (which is quite good), the have a series of side project one time offerings. I had their Chocolate Porter without reviewing it, it was awesome though. Scotch Ales are broken up in to different categories traditionally, based on heaviness or strength, each one being a 60, 70, 80, or 90 Shilling. The higher the number, the stronger the beer. American breweries rarely make anything but a 90 Shilling, Scotch Ale is incorrectly assumed to only be a strong style only, which is very wrong, it can be made very light as well.

About this beer......it is not a Scotch Ale, it doesn't really taste like one. It is a strong Ale, basically a young old Ale. Getting away from that minor point (were I to review this as a Scotch Ale I would give it very low marks). I like this beer. The dominant flavor is a light caramelized malt. There is A LOT of it. The flavor is more often associated with an Altbier or American Light Lager (pee) than a 90 Shilling Scotch Ale, and is really a shocker is this beer, which is the slightest step below being dark beer (hold it up to the light and you can see through it, without backlighting it loos black). It however the flavor works here, it is balanced with some darker caramelized malt, perhaps Black Patent. The hopping is light, little to no flavor or aroma, but a some bittering hops. This beer tastes absolutely nothing like the 7.7% ABV it is and goes down like water (this would be dangerous (and ridiculously expensive, $8 per single 22 oz bottle)) out of a keg, I don't know that I've had such a drinkable high gravity beer).

The flavors in this beer work really well together. This is a unique beer, unlike just about any I've had. It is just so odd for a darker beer to taste strongly like a light beer, but this one does.

I wish this was more of a Scotch Ale, but W/E, I'm very pleased to have tried this. I really didn't know that this flavor was capable out of a beer, same good 'ol beer ingredients too.

Terrapin's side project beers are usually pretty expensive but worth it if you see them. In the two I've had, I've been very impressed with the beer in the bottle, and I'm going to continue to try their different offerings. I gotta say, this one creeps up on you, it tastes and goes down like a 4% ABV beer, when it is a high gravity. This is a very odd tasting, but good tasting beer. But if you are looking for a true heavy Scotch Ale, this is not one. It is a strong Ale.

Grade: 8.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Sat May 30, 2009 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Waldo wrote:

I think they try to do too much to make their brown original, which makes it fail in the long run.

That could be said for A LOT of beers. Were I to own a liquor store, I'd be sure to stock a basic true to style offering for each of the major styles, which oddly enough isn't seen very often.

For some reason brewers are reluctant to brew basic versions of many styles. When often a basic version of the styles is an exceptional beer.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

Glad I could help. I may have been a little harsh, but I expect a lot out of Left Hand. I bought a sample 12 pack, and it came with the brown, an ESB, the milk stout, and a pale. I was stoked about trying the brown, and it failed miserably to live up to my expectations. At least the ESB, which I'll review later, was good. Guess they all can't be good.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
GreenBayAddict4

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo, if you ever come to California you got to try either Great White or Downtown Brown. Lost Coast Brewery make some tasty beers and those two are my favorite beers. Great White is my favorite mostly because of how flexible it is, if you will. Goes great with food, I can take my time drinking it and fully appreciate it that way, or if I am in a party mood I can pretty much chug one down if I want because its not a very "heavy" beer not is it a "light" beer(Pretty balanced IMO). It has lots of flavor so every sip is very enjoyable.
Just thought I would let you know! You gotta check one these beers out some time. Here's there website.
Actually I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post their website, but just type in lost coast brewery on google and it's the 1st result on there. So, check them out there if you have some time.

Done by Waldo ^^

Last edited by GreenBayAddict4 on Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBayAddict4 wrote:
Waldo, if you ever come to California you got to try either Great White or Downtown Brown. Lost Coast Brewery make some tasty beers and those two are my favorite beers. Great White is my favorite mostly because of how flexible it is, if you will. Goes great with food, I can take my time drinking it and fully appreciate it that way, or if I am in a party mood I can pretty much chug one down if I want because its not a very "heavy" beer not is it a "light" beer(Pretty balanced IMO). It has lots of flavor so every sip is very enjoyable.
Just thought I would let you know! You gotta check one these beers out some time. Here's there website.
Actually I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post their website, but just type in lost coast brewery on google and it's the 1st result on their. So, check them out there if you have some time.

I can agree with you on Downtown Brown, at least from what I remember. Very nice. I've had Great White too, but it was years ago, and I don't remember much about it. I'll have to give both a try again when I'm home in Aug.

Thanks for reminding me, even though it was directed at Waldo.

GreenBayAddict4

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
GreenBayAddict4 wrote:
Actually I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post their website, but just type in lost coast brewery on google and it's the 1st result on their. So, check them out there if you have some time.

I can agree with you on Downtown Brown, at least from what I remember. Very nice. I've had Great White too, but it was years ago, and I don't remember much about it. I'll have to give both a try again when I'm home in Aug.

Thanks for reminding me, even though it was directed at Waldo.

Personally, Great White is my favorite beer for different reasons, but overall Downtown Brown is probably the better beer. I just like that I can have a Great White at basically anytime and enjoy it.

Done by Waldo ^^
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I don't get out to Cali much. I've been to SF twice, both times heading up to wine country. Other than that I haven't been to the state.

I cannot possibly convey how much I want to visit Scotland and Bavaria.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:

I have a few goals in life..

1. Go to Ireland, and sit in pubs drinking Guinness until I get an accent
2. Go to Jamacia and sit on the beach and drink Red Stripe until I get an accent

I'm now seriously considering adding Scotland, Belgium, and England on to the list of accents I should acquire through drinking beer.

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo, have you tried any Saranac?

The breweries are here in Clinton and Utica, so we have a lot of it. Wondering what you thought of any of their ales.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Waldo wrote:

2. Go to Jamacia and sit on the beach and drink Red Stripe until I get an accent

I'm now seriously considering adding Scotland, Belgium, and England on to the list of accents I should acquire through drinking beer.

No Bavaria. Shocked

Why?

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Waldo, have you tried any Saranac?

The breweries are here in Clinton and Utica, so we have a lot of it. Wondering what you thought of any of their ales.

Yeah, I have.

I've had their Irish Red and liked it a great deal. Better than SA's. It sucks how rare the style is domestically. It is an awesome style.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Waldo wrote:

No Bavaria. Shocked

Why?

A typo is why. I thought I had it on there. I mean, who wouldn't want to sit in a Munich beer hall drinking until you get an accent?

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... bavaria

just had a few of these and am loving them, below was my favorite

RaiderX with the assist^^

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 21 of 100

Jump to: