Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose Island. Honker's Ale

English Style Bitter

Thoughts:

I had one of these after a stressful day of work...and have fallen in love with it ever since. It's a little bitter, but has a sweet bite to it as well. Has a smooth taste to it, which is something that some ales don't have. Good beer to sip on and enjoy.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic

Style: Wheat Malt

Thoughts

I LOVE Sam Adams....but this beer was just plain bad. The brewers must have been enjoying some of their other fine beers when they produced this, because that's the only explanation I have. It was extremely bitter, and had an awful after taste. The after taste was so bad, I chased it with a Boston Lager that was in the variety pack. I'm a man who likes to finish his beer, and I was persistent this time around and finished it. But I finished it through chasing it with another beer, which is plain awful. The tart taste on my mouth simply wouldn't go away. It was pretty oily, rather than smooth. I honestly think the brewers mixed Boston Lager with Cranberry sryup and oil, because that's about what it tasted like.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
Goose Island. Honker's Ale

Really? I had this once and remember it being a very average beer. At least, I don't remember it having made much of an impression on me.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not at all mr. drew. since you were keeping the same grading system I had completely not even realized it was someone else reviewing the beers. good call on the cherry wheat. Sam Adams has a good tendency to make 6.0+ beers.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
CaribouLou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to ruin this thread, but Waldo, what is the worst beer you've ever had?

To answer my question I would say Milwakee's Best Light, that wasn't especially cold. Me and my friends aren't beer experts obviously, so we go as cheap as we can. I can usually tolerate some putrid stuff (Keystone Light, Coors Light), but this stuff was a pain every time I took a sip.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want bad, go Natty Ice.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
CaribouLou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
you want bad, go Natty Ice.

Oh, I've had it. Me and my friends go as cheap as we can, which some of you obviously frown upon. But Natty didn't compare to OMB, if I remember correctly it was almost chunky tasting and went down horrible.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaribouLou wrote:
I don't want to ruin this thread, but Waldo, what is the worst beer you've ever had?

To answer my question I would say Milwakee's Best Light, that wasn't especially cold. Me and my friends aren't beer experts obviously, so we go as cheap as we can. I can usually tolerate some putrid stuff (Keystone Light, Coors Light), but this stuff was a pain every time I took a sip.

An infected Porter. Simply horrendous.

As far as worst as intended.....

IDK, I personally can not tell the difference between really any of the American megabrew crap. At least when it is called "light" they just add more water, so it is less bad. The stronger ones though, the Ice Beers, are absolutely hideous IMO.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notes:

There is no above 9 on my scale, or below 1. It is symmetrical about 5, and IMO is virtually impossible for one to be considered a 9.

I've had 2-3 thousand different beers in my life and can definitely say I've has less than 10 that I would give a 9 to, and most of those were in brewpubs or homebrewed, not commercially available.

1) Lambics are supposed to be ridiculously tart. The most tart taste that I've known was a Kriek Lambic. Lambics aren't for everybody. If you didin't know what to expect and it was your first Lambic, and a strong one, chances are you hate it, even though it is fruit beer. Gotta start with the easy Frambois.

2) Unless Honkers Ale has drastically changed in the last 10 years, I'd have it closer to a 6-6.5. Ia always considered it a safety beer. Kinda like Anchor Steam. When getting all sorts of different stuff blindly (no prior knowledge of the product or brewery), I often get a safety beer that is readily available, or have one on on hand. Sam Adams is that way too. When a selection really sucks I settle for the safety beer, as I know that I'll be satisfied with it.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Notes:

There is no above 9 on my scale, or below 1. It is symmetrical about 5, and IMO is virtually impossible for one to be considered a 9.

I've had 2-3 thousand different beers in my life and can definitely say I've has less than 10 that I would give a 9 to, and most of those were in brewpubs or homebrewed, not commercially available.

1) Lambics are supposed to be ridiculously tart. The most tart taste that I've known was a Kriek Lambic. Lambics aren't for everybody. If you didin't know what to expect and it was your first Lambic, and a strong one, chances are you hate it, even though it is fruit beer. Gotta start with the easy Frambois.

2) Unless Honkers Ale has drastically changed in the last 10 years, I'd have it closer to a 6-6.5. Ia always considered it a safety beer. Kinda like Anchor Steam. When getting all sorts of different stuff blindly (no prior knowledge of the product or brewery), I often get a safety beer that is readily available, or have one on on hand. Sam Adams is that way too. When a selection really sucks I settle for the safety beer, as I know that I'll be satisfied with it.

True, it was my first Lambic. Although, I looked up the beer, and there were some experts that didn't consider it a Lambic because it was composed of too much syrup or something like that.

As for Honkers, most people do consider it decent, but for some reason I really like it. Sam Adams Boston Lager is usually my safety beer.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what is the worst beer you've ever had?

hope it's alright if i answer the question as well

the worst beer i ever had was made by michelob, don't remember which one it was. i've also tried the chinese beer 'snow' which tasted like soapy water. those two are tied for the worst i've had (that were meant to taste that way, I've had some of my friends homebrews that tasted god awful)

RaiderX with the assist^^
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckrock101 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
They aren't really all that fancy, save for the Allagash. Most of them are (or will be) your standard American microbrews or imports that sell via 6 packs of bottles, that run about $8 per 6 pack (depends on the state). There are literally thousands of different options in that group to be tried across the country.

If you ever end up going to New Zealand, be sure to review some of our beers, so I know how they stack up. Personally, I think most of our stuff is crap, and I wouldn't be surprised if the American stuff is much better.

Recently Millers has become available here and honestly I hate the stuff. Have to pee after every 2nd beer, just goes straight through you, not what you want.

Lately I have been drinking a combination of;

Tiger Ale
Oranjeboom
Mac's Gold
Steinlager Pure
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsfan28 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Notes:

True, it was my first Lambic. Although, I looked up the beer, and there were some experts that didn't consider it a Lambic because it was composed of too much syrup or something like that.

As for Honkers, most people do consider it decent, but for some reason I really like it. Sam Adams Boston Lager is usually my safety beer.

Lambic's are weird beers. To make them you basically make a weak wheat beer (unfermented), then add it to a bucket of fruit and let it sit out uncovered. There is a lot of naturally occurring yeast in Belgium, so it will spontaneously ferment with wild yeast on the fruit.

SA surely did not do that, so to call theirs (or practically any other non-Belgian Lambic) a Lambic is a bit of a stretch.

I haven't had SA's version so I really don't know how it is.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
gobrowns1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it now.

Perfect summer beer. I have not had a beer so smooth and refreshing in my life and trust me I drink a lot.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
CaribouLou wrote:

An infected Porter. Simply horrendous.

As far as worst as intended.....

IDK, I personally can not tell the difference between really any of the American megabrew crap. At least when it is called "light" they just add more water, so it is less bad. The stronger ones though, the Ice Beers, are absolutely hideous IMO.

I concur. I can't stand Miller, Bud, Coors. I'm more of an Ale man myself. I like beer that tastes like something other than dirty water. If I must drink a golden lager anymore I go for Sparten.

But I just found this thread.... very interesting. maybe I'll find a new one!

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 13 of 100

Jump to: