Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmk

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuinneyluvsNFL wrote:
god i need to try some of these beverages, as i have only had Carling, Stella Artois, Guinness, Strongbow, Magners, Bulmers before, and not a proper ale. Do you guys have many of the drinks i listed above over in America. Obviously i know Guinness is popular, but what about Carling or Stella?
I haven't had many different drinks to compare, so i am not going to give ratings on any of these.

A lot of bars are carrying Stella now that Bud got bought out by inbev. I think it is ok, nothing to write home about but a decent beer. Guiness is very popular as well. I've seen Carling and Strongbow in stores but never on tap. I know my local grocery store carries a decent number of English/UK/Irish imports such as Murphy's Irish Stout, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Harp, Smithwick's, and Boddington's.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Pennant Ale '55

A product of NYC, Brooklyn's Pennant Ale is made as a tribute to the '55 Brooklyn Dodgers. It is billed as an American Pale Ale by Brooklyn Brewing, but I think that it has more in common with an English Pale Ale. American Pale Ales tend to be hoppier than their British counterparts. Typically APA's use flavoring hops, EPA's do not. This is a medium bodied, highly carbonated beer that is very easy to drink. It has some aroma hops added, there is definitely some American Cascade hops added as aroma, though only a small amount. They are proud of the Scottish malts they use, and the carmelized malts are sweet and toasted. A mixture of the yeast used, the carbonation, and the bittering hops gives the beer a tartness, the flavor balancing the malt is more tart than bitter. There is a very small amount of flavoring hops used, much less than the typical APA.

What I like most is the balance. Nothing is overdone, the malt has a very nice taste and is well balanced by the hops. The beer has some nuances that might take a few rounds to fully appreciate.

What I like least is the lightness. They could go a tad stronger on the flavor without sacrificing drinkability or making it too heavy. It is definitely on the lighter end of flavor for a pale ale.

Boy, I could sit a bar and drink this stuff all night. It is very drinkable and has a nice flavor. The high carbonation makes it almost refreshing. This might get added to my football game day list. There is no wow factor however, preventing it from being counted among the elites.

Grade: 7.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Wed May 06, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Brooklyn Pennant Ale '55

I love Brooklyn beers. I've only tried a couple of them but they are exceptional beverages.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
bigbluefan87

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

bigbluefan87 wrote:
and i came across a different 30 pack of a bud beer called bud dry, it was like 5 bucks cheaper than a 30 of bud light and tasted a lot better. that and busch are the only two i will willing buy for myself that i would've drank before i turned 21.

*shudder* Busch is the worst beer I have ever drank. I would rather have Natural Light.

Actually I take that back. Natural Ice is the worst beer I have ever drank. That crap is nothing less than the most disgusting swill I have ever forced myself to consume.

if you wanna try a bad beer..

i dare you to try drinking even a 6 pack of keystone ice. but don't be fooled..you won't nearly be as happy as that guy one you get past like the first beer or two.

~lago_vista on the sig/avatar
Waldo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broughton Black Douglas

Brewed in Scotland, Black Douglas is a dark, medium strength Scottish Ale. It is about as dark as a beer can be without being a dark beer. This is a very distinct British beer, I've never had a beer made in America that tasted like this, but a few from Great Britan that had the same distinct flavor. If the Samuel Smith brewery made a Scottish Ale, this is what it would taste like. This beer is loaded with carmelized malts, crystal malt in particular. There is a little bittering hops, but the rest of the flavor is from the yeast and malt. This beer has a complex flavor profile and very pleasant finish that lingers. It has the slight smokyness of a Scotch ale, but it is very light. The aroma compliments the flavor well, but is fairly different actually.

What I like about it, IDK, there is something that this beer achieves that it seems American brewers are utterly incapable of doing, the way the flavors blend as a whole is really on a different level when it comes to ale making. There is a fruitiness from the yeast that just isn't seen on these shores from an ale.

What I don't like about it, I wish the initial flavor would linger longer and be a little stronger, the aftertaste comes much too soon.

This is one of the best all around Scottish Ales that I've had. When I pay big bucks for a bottle ($5) I want to be wowed. I was partially wowed, enough so that I feel I got my money's worth, but not so much that I will always get it. If I were to do a blind taste test and had to identify the brewer, I would say Samuel Smith. But I still like Sammie's Oatie better.

Grade: 8.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Adams Summer Ale

Quote:
Color: Golden with a slight veil
Original Gravity: 12' Plato
Calories/ 12 ox bottle: 160
Alcohol by Wt/vol: 5.3% AVB/ 4.2% ABW
Malt Type/ Varieties: Two Row Pale/ Malted Wheat
Hops Varieties: Tettnang Tettnanger Noble Hops
Availability: April- August
First Brewed: 1995

Summer is here, and that means vacations, doing nothing, and most importantly no school. This Sam Adams, though not my favorite, is a pretty good brew. I love the bright golden copper color it makes when the sunlight hits it.

It is brews with malted wheat, lemon/ berry zest, and a pepper from Africa called paradise. The pepper gives it a shape bite. That, coupled with the lemon zest, makes for a very unique flavor. I think the bite is a little too sharp and takes away from the overall flavor of the beer, but thats just me. Though this a great drink when grilling out with my friends during summer evenings.

I know man law prohibits fruiting the beer, but this one is well worth the try in my book.

Sam Adams Summer Ale: 6.5

Joe_is_the_best ^^

Last edited by twslhs20 on Thu May 07, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan87 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

bigbluefan87 wrote:
and i came across a different 30 pack of a bud beer called bud dry, it was like 5 bucks cheaper than a 30 of bud light and tasted a lot better. that and busch are the only two i will willing buy for myself that i would've drank before i turned 21.

*shudder* Busch is the worst beer I have ever drank. I would rather have Natural Light.

Actually I take that back. Natural Ice is the worst beer I have ever drank. That crap is nothing less than the most disgusting swill I have ever forced myself to consume.

if you wanna try a bad beer..

i dare you to try drinking even a 6 pack of keystone ice. but don't be fooled..you won't nearly be as happy as that guy one you get past like the first beer or two.

The shirt says it all, man. Using "ice" as a suffix on any type beer is like branding it garbage with a high alcoholic content.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
theboat

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Sam Adams Summer Ale

Quote:
Color: Golden with a slight veil
Original Gravity: 12' Plato
Calories/ 12 ox bottle: 160
Alcohol by Wt/vol: 5.3% AVB/ 4.2% ABW
Malt Type/ Varieties: Two Row Pale/ Malted Wheat
Hops Varieties: Tettnang Tettnanger Noble Hops
Availability: April- August
First Brewed: 1995

Summer is here, and that means vacations, doing nothing, and most importantly no school. This Sam Adams, though not my favorite, is a pretty good brew. I love the bright golden copper color it makes when the sunlight hits it.

It is brews with malted wheat, lemon/ berry zest, and a pepper from Africa called paradise. The pepper gives it a shape bite. That, coupled with the lemon zest, makes for a very unique flavor. I think the bite is a little too sharp and takes away from the overall flavor of the beer, but thats just me. Though this a great drink when grilling out with my friends during summer evenings.

I know man law prohibits fruiting the beer, but this one is well worth the try in my book.

Sam Adams Summer Ale: 6.5

I like this beer also. Its "fruited" just enough. Not overpowering, but you know its there.
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your Summer Ale review. Good job on that. 6.5 is a good grade for it. I like the fact that a lot of us agree on grades.

It is similar to a Wit (a la Blue Moon), but leaning a little more towards normal beer, it uses a clean yeast that doesn't have the esters that a typical Wit or Wheat yeast would have.

I don't believe in that man law crap, good beer is good beer. I like Lambic's, which is beer brewed with a portion of the sugar replaced by fruit. Some beer is better with a lemon or lime (though it goes against all my instincts as a beer snob, I don't mind a good Corona and lime).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weihenstephaner Korbinian

Weihenstephaner is a brewery steeped in history. It started as a Benedictine Monk brewery in 1040, then became the Royal State brewery of Bavaria (it was legal for them to "break the law" and brew wheat beer), now is owned by the state, but run like a typical private brewery. It is the oldest continually operated brewery in the world. This is a Dopplebock, a strong malty lager with low hops and high power. It comes in a whopping 7.4% ABV. It is a beer blended into a whole very nicely. The flavor of malt kicks you in the behind, yet it has a pleasant fig-like flavor. This is basically a low hopped barley wine that has been lagered. The yeast has added a definite flavor to it.

What I like best, the flavors all integrate into a whole very well. There is very little in the way of discernible components, they have seemingly merged into a single flavor. It hides it's power very well, there is not nearly the alcohol flavor that you would expect.

What I like least, I'm not the biggest fan of the yeast they used, it added a tint to the beer, tough to avoid when you brew such a powerful beer, I've had better tasting yeasts.

All in all, this is a very good example of a real Bavarian Dopplebock, a style that isn't as appreciated as it should be. The flavor profile fits perfectly with the typical craft brewery, for some reason though, you don't see much on the Dopplebock front, not nearly as much as you see Porters and IPA's. I guess though, most don't have the refrigeration equipment to make lagers.

Grade: 7.5

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best place to ask this..

When I was in Mexico on spring break, I came across this one beer called Superior. Anyone see it in the States at all? Maybe I was a stupid senior in high school, but it was amazing. Then again, I was walking around playa del carmen with my two best friends, eating tacos, drinking a lot, and messing around on the beach...So everything would have tasted good to me. Laughing

Sig brought to you by Justo
Waldo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:

When I was in Mexico on spring break, I came across this one beer called Superior. Anyone see it in the States at all? Maybe I was a stupid senior in high school, but it was amazing. Then again, I was walking around playa del carmen with my two best friends, eating tacos, drinking a lot, and messing around on the beach...So everything would have tasted good to me. Laughing

?

It isn't distributed in the US.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
ugLymayNe wrote:

?

It isn't distributed in the US.

That is it... Mad

Sig brought to you by Justo
packerbacker87

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since I was just turned on to this wonderful thread, I would like to share my favorite beers.

Kristall Weizen.

Leinie's Sunset wheat

I like many beers, but the above are quite a treat for me.

On normal days I drink. Labbat Blue, Molson, moosehead. Hefe Weizen, and Rolling rock.
I love to go to old Chicago's and drink Old Style on tap as well. Takes me back to the good old days. Nice thread Waldo!

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
I agree with your Summer Ale review. Good job on that. 6.5 is a good grade for it. I like the fact that a lot of us agree on grades.

It is similar to a Wit (a la Blue Moon), but leaning a little more towards normal beer, it uses a clean yeast that doesn't have the esters that a typical Wit or Wheat yeast would have.

I don't believe in that man law crap, good beer is good beer. I like Lambic's, which is beer brewed with a portion of the sugar replaced by fruit. Some beer is better with a lemon or lime (though it goes against all my instincts as a beer snob, I don't mind a good Corona and lime).

I know I just love those commercials. Nothing wrong with a good corona and lime. Laughing Probably my favorite "wussy yellow beer. I originally had the Sam Adams Summer Ale at a 7.5, but upon further review of your scale I felt a 7.5 was a big generous. Though it is a good beer, just not that good.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 9 of 100

Jump to: