Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo Risin'

Brewer: Boulder Beer Company (Boulder, CO)
Style: Imperial (Double) IPA
Tech:
Boulder Beer wrote:
Only 120 precious barrels were brewed, adding more than half a ton of extra malt and twice the amount of Amarillo hops, so prepare your self for a full sensory explosion. The double dry-hop addition elevates the grapefruit-like aroma and flavor to an outrageous intensity, while the added malt raises the alcohol level from 7% all the way to 10% by volume.

My Review:
Pours clear in a deep gold color, with a 1.5-2 finger white head. Scent was light malts, and about every scent of hops you can name (Citrus, Pine, Grass, Floral...). Flavor was light bread and caramel malt, slightly sweet, then nothing but hops. Bitter citrus, light pine, some grass, and some floral. Lacing was nice, it left a line with every drink.

Colorado beers are usually hoppy, something that's pretty well known. A double IPA from a CO brewer is going to be exactly what you think. Tons of hops in this one, but not over done. It has less of a syrup flavor/palate than most Imperial/Double IPA's, which makes it easy to drink. The 10% ABV is well hidden too, which also makes it easy to drink. Well worth a pickup if you've got a little hop-head in you.

My Score: 8.1

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a non-review, for the first time ever I managed to purchase a skunky Lienies Honey Weiss, it kind of sucks.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
For a non-review, for the first time ever I managed to purchase a skunky Lienies Honey Weiss, it kind of sucks.

Nothing sucks more than opening the first bottle in a six pack and getting skunk. You're stuck with five more you don't want to drink.

Luckily I can usually successfully pass them off on other people who think skunky is good (usually those who like Corona or Heineken).

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew i just had Mojo Rising in Salt Lake City actually. and it was tasty as hell, went down like a champ and carried a strong punch the whole way. Good beer. Love me double IPAs

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

Nothing sucks more than opening the first bottle in a six pack and getting skunk. You're stuck with five more you don't want to drink.

Luckily I can usually successfully pass them off on other people who think skunky is good (usually those who like Corona or Heineken).

To make it worse, it was a twelve pack Very Happy

The Gnat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
MrDrew i just had Mojo Rising in Salt Lake City actually. and it was tasty as hell, went down like a champ and carried a strong punch the whole way. Good beer. Love me double IPAs

I wish I had that double IPA around, an IPA sounds great right about now.

Mikek163

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

My 2 favourite beers Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

My 2 favourite beers Smile

Intentionally skunky. Hence the clear and green bottles.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bottled my beer on Friday. Came out at 4.85% ABV, rough because it was supposed to be 5.5% give or take 0.25%. Then again I screwed up numerous times brewing it (we let it boil over at one point, we didn't get a precise water measurement at the beginning, it was brewed at ale temp with lager yeast, etc.). I took a taste. It's a little nondescript, but it was warm and it's still flat. Hopefully it should be carbonated by Friday, but I'm expecting it will take a bit longer. I'm still going to try to open one on Friday and see what happens.

MrDrew wrote:

The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
I bottled my beer on Friday. Came out at 4.85% ABV, rough because it was supposed to be 5.5% give or take 0.25%. Then again I screwed up numerous times brewing it (we let it boil over at one point, we didn't get a precise water measurement at the beginning, it was brewed at ale temp with lager yeast, etc.). I took a taste. It's a little nondescript, but it was warm and it's still flat. Hopefully it should be carbonated by Friday, but I'm expecting it will take a bit longer. I'm still going to try to open one on Friday and see what happens.

Yeah, give it a week to a week and a half to carbonate, and that will also raise the alcohol content as well. I miss brewing beer, in a couple of years I'll have to start up again.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

Yeah, give it a week to a week and a half to carbonate, and that will also raise the alcohol content as well. I miss brewing beer, in a couple of years I'll have to start up again.

This is only my second time. The first time I brewed an IPA and I opened a bottle after about a week. I got a reidiculous head when I poured it because there was very little carbonation. After about another week in the bottle, the beer actually matured a lot and tasted a lot better (a LOT better).

MrDrew wrote:

ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been to at least 20 different breweries and i just had my first tour of a truly legitimate facility at lagunitas (ive only been on two that weren't very impressive), which i've been to at least 5 times without the tour. i must say, their production line is crazy impressive and the tour guide was hilarious and extremely informative. their history is riddled with hysterical anecdotes about the brewery, marijuana, and the police which is the reasoning behind their naming of the beers undercover investigation shutdown ale and classified [kronik] ale. also, heard they're working on a habenero ipa.

they just started having casks on tap (hand pumped) and they're effing delicious (they have this new beer called almond joy that was on cask and it's probably my new favorite), they also have live music 5 days a week (usually bluegrass, awesome i know), and they have the best food i've ever had at a brewpub (they make an imperial stout float that is the epitome of the phrase epic food is epic). i love this brewery so much, it makes me want to move to petaluma.

RaiderX with the assist^^
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ienjoythesnow wrote:
i've been to at least 20 different breweries and i just had my first tour of a truly legitimate facility at lagunitas (ive only been on two that weren't very impressive), which i've been to at least 5 times without the tour. i must say, their production line is crazy impressive and the tour guide was hilarious and extremely informative. their history is riddled with hysterical anecdotes about the brewery, marijuana, and the police which is the reasoning behind their naming of the beers undercover investigation shutdown ale and classified [kronik] ale. also, heard they're working on a habenero ipa.

they just started having casks on tap (hand pumped) and they're effing delicious (they have this new beer called almond joy that was on cask and it's probably my new favorite), they also have live music 5 days a week (usually bluegrass, awesome i know), and they have the best food i've ever had at a brewpub (they make an imperial stout float that is the epitome of the phrase epic food is epic). i love this brewery so much, it makes me want to move to petaluma.

Unfortunately there aren't any great breweries near me. There are a few local ones, but none of the big distributing ones. All of the great ones are on the west side of the state (Bell's, Founders). There are a few in Detroit, but I have no desire to go down there. There's also Arbor Brewing Co in Ann Arbor or Dragonmead in Warren, but they're on a much smaller scale than Bell's or Founders.

MrDrew wrote:

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:

Do you have to have a lot of knowledge of beer to brew your own beer? does it cost a lot?

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:

Do you have to have a lot of knowledge of beer to brew your own beer? does it cost a lot?

You can get all the equipment you need for $200-$250. It will cost $30-$45 per 5gal batch if you brew all-grain. Bottling equipment will run a little more.

It's a lot of fun, and a lot easier than most people think. I prefer an all-grain recipe, but most will use malt extracts. The all-grain is supposed to be harder, and it takes a little more time, but I think it comes out better.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 70 of 100

Jump to: