Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
This stuff smell like the stankest soy sauce I've ever come across. It tasted like liking a combination of salt-lick and a used street-tire.

LOL @ this description. Classic.

Used Street Tire.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Never had their triple bock. Their double bock was 'eh. Usually when I'm in a big beer mood, SA is not the brand I'm looking for.

I had a schwartz hefe weizen the other day from Germany. Didn't get a chance to review it. Interesting beer, the wheat flavors and dark flavors cancelled each other, it was amazingly plain tasting. Generally wheat beer flavors are strong, and black beer flavors are strong, together it was utterly boring. No wonder you don't see that mixture out there, with Dunkel Weizen really being as dark as wheats get (no roasted malt in Dunkels).

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gothman25 wrote:
Also, has anyone tried Laughing Skull's amber ale? I thought about trying it too, but wanted to get an idea of it before I spent the money.

Laughing Skull is made for the Vortex (restaurant) in Atlanta, I'm not sure who brews it for them. It's 'eh, just your standard APA with a little more caremelized malt. As I recall though its relatively cheap, thus its quality:cost ratio is relatively high.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
x0x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that every beer I've ever tried has already been reviewed.

However I would review Paulaner due to it getting a horribly low rating by my liking.

I give it a 9.5, it is the best beer I've ever tasted, and what stops me from giving it a 10 is the inconsistencies of it at times.

It is a natural wheat beer and where you buy it, how you keep it and when you drink it all factors in between an 8 and a 10.

It goes down extremely smooth, for me one of the few beers that NEVER has a bitter aftertaste. It also doesn't annoy the bladder like 90% of beers. Perhaps just personally, but it also does not serve to dehydrate or induce vomiting when over drinking, I have thrown up due to alcohol 5 times since turning 19, but have come close many more times, with Pualaner even after 10+ American size bottles I'd sooner have sweet dreams than have any inclination to tip my head in front of the toilet seat.

If you can, you have to get it from the draft in Munich, the liter bottles for 85 cents EURO last time I was there, is also a great way to go.

I do notice a slight decline when buying it here in Canada and I think it's because it stands a bit long at the store than it should, though I've gotten some great batches still.

Never worse than an 8 but a perennial satisfying thirst quencher especially on days like today, and the best tasting beer in the history of time.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I see that every beer I've ever tried has already been reviewed.

However I would review Paulaner due to it getting a horribly low rating by my liking.

I give it a 9.5, it is the best beer I've ever tasted, and what stops me from giving it a 10 is the inconsistencies of it at times.

It is a natural wheat beer and where you buy it, how you keep it and when you drink it all factors in between an 8 and a 10.

It goes down extremely smooth, for me one of the few beers that NEVER has a bitter aftertaste. It also doesn't annoy the bladder like 90% of beers. Perhaps just personally, but it also does not serve to dehydrate or induce vomiting when over drinking, I have thrown up due to alcohol 5 times since turning 19, but have come close many more times, with Pualaner even after 10+ American size bottles I'd sooner have sweet dreams than have any inclination to tip my head in front of the toilet seat.

If you can, you have to get it from the draft in Munich, the liter bottles for 85 cents EURO last time I was there, is also a great way to go.

I do notice a slight decline when buying it here in Canada and I think it's because it stands a bit long at the store than it should, though I've gotten some great batches still.

Never worse than an 8 but a perennial satisfying thirst quencher especially on days like today, and the best tasting beer in the history of time.

I don't think I've ever had standard Paulaner before, but their Double Bock that I had a few weeks ago was really good. I'm rarely too disappointed with dopplebocks though.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I forgot to write about the Sublimely Self Righteous Beer that I had a week ago. It was much darker than I normally like, but it went down extremely smooth. For an 8.6% alcohol it went down great. I still prefer Arrogant Bastard over it, but I would not mind drinking it again.

Anyone a fan of Three Floyds brews? Its a brewery right by my house but I have not been there. I have had the Alpha King and one other that I cannot think of right now, but overall I was not overly impressed with either.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
So I forgot to write about the Sublimely Self Righteous Beer that I had a week ago. It was much darker than I normally like, but it went down extremely smooth. For an 8.6% alcohol it went down great. I still prefer Arrogant Bastard over it, but I would not mind drinking it again.

Anyone a fan of Three Floyds brews? Its a brewery right by my house but I have not been there. I have had the Alpha King and one other that I cannot think of right now, but overall I was not overly impressed with either.

Three Floyds has a great reputation as far as I've seen. I've never tried any of them, though.

My latest purchases were Bell's Rye Stout (thick, creamy, sweet), Founder's Double Trouble (DIPA), and New Holland Dragon's Milk (oak-aged strong ale). I'll see about doing a review tonight.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Holland Dragon's Milk

Technical: Dragon's Milk is part of New Holland's high gravity series. It's an oak-aged American strong ale. It comes in at a ridiculous 23 Plato, and it's 10% ABV.

It pours opaque black; if I didn't know better I'd assume it were a stout. For some reason I don't get much of a head out of it, most likely due to the 10% ABV. It smells powerful, like vanilla and oak primarily. Its flavor, as one might imagine, is extremely rich.

It's loaded up front with deep vanilla flavor, and I really mean deep. There is absolutely no hop presence as far as I can tell, not even any obvious bittering hops (but with a 10% beer that can happen). It's exceedingly sweet. It finishes with that oaken flavor, but the vanilla is really dominant here. I guess you might say there's some bourbon flavor in there, maybe some caramel.

The beer is pretty thick, giving it a velvety texture; but unlike with a lot of stouts, the carbonation is still there and it's prickly. As far as drinkability goes, it's pretty low on that scale. it's not hard to drink--just that one is really enough, and it's not going down fast.

In the end, it's a flavorful drink, but extremely filling and too sweet. It's a good dessert beverage, and I mean that sincerely--it tastes like a milkshake in a lot of respects. But it doesn't really taste like a beer, just an overloaded grain-based beverage. In that respect, it's hard to give Dragon's Milk a great score. I'm not going to be like the beer rating sites and give it a huge grade just because it's got a lot of flavor.

Overall Rating: 6.0, but it is worth trying if you can find a place that serves it on tap.

MrDrew wrote:

Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
On a somewhat similar note, and for the sake of not being more sadistic than I actually am, I would like to put out a first class warning on Sam Adams Triple Bock... that is unless you really HATE yourself.

We bought this stuff at a Beverages and More figuring that, hey it's cheap and it's Sam Adams, it can't be all bad.

Oh how we were wrong!

This stuff smell like the stankest soy sauce I've ever come across. It tasted like liking a combination of salt-lick and a used street-tire. And it left the thickest layer of crusty sediment on the side of the glass I've ever seen from a domestic-billed-as-an-import. This stuff is truly disgusting and I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemies.

Some of the beer advocate reviews of this beer are pure gold.

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
The LBC wrote:
On a somewhat similar note, and for the sake of not being more sadistic than I actually am, I would like to put out a first class warning on Sam Adams Triple Bock... that is unless you really HATE yourself.

We bought this stuff at a Beverages and More figuring that, hey it's cheap and it's Sam Adams, it can't be all bad.

Oh how we were wrong!

This stuff smell like the stankest soy sauce I've ever come across. It tasted like liking a combination of salt-lick and a used street-tire. And it left the thickest layer of crusty sediment on the side of the glass I've ever seen from a domestic-billed-as-an-import. This stuff is truly disgusting and I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemies.

Holy poop you're not kidding.

pastradul wrote:
Probably not even a quarter of an oz gets on my tongue and I spit it out into the sink. I grab a glass of water and try to cleanse... but nothing stands up to this pungent stuff. Think I drank hot sauce or ran to brush my teeth and scrub my tongue off.

by for the worst thing I have ever tasted, not even in the beer world, but in all of my life.

DovaliHops wrote:
Tastes like soy sauce with a little bit of a sweeter edge. This tasted horrible and can't even judge the mouthfeel. Drinkability is terrible. This left such a nasty residue on the inside of the bottle that was almost impossible to get off. Like sticky tar on the inside of the bottle...very disgusting.

instrumentality wrote:
I shared this with the friend who was kind enough to bring it over after finding it in his garage caked in dust. Good? Bad? These words suggest a basis of comparison.

And this guy gave it a B! He continues:

instrumentality wrote:
My friend just dumped the remains from the bottom of the bottle into his glass. To consume any of this would be a feat worthy of a Fear Factor challenge. It's some menacing primordial sludge with consistencies ranging from motor oil to coffee grounds to chewing tobacco. I'm afraid that if we don't rinse the glass out tonight something will emerge from it and smother me in my sleep

The good news is, the last time I had this beer, it was still in production and I absolutely hated it. Some combination of aging of the beer and me being light years ahead of where I was in terms of beer appreciation has changed my perspective drastically. I can't say I love this beer, but I definitely respect it.

My god this man is hilarious.

It gets even better, I can't go on. It's bizarre that BeerAdvocate's employees gave it a B+. You'd think from reading the reviews that it tastes like gasoline lit on fire.

MrDrew wrote:

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Oh how we were wrong!

Holy poop you're not kidding.

pastradul wrote:
Probably not even a quarter of an oz gets on my tongue and I spit it out into the sink. I grab a glass of water and try to cleanse... but nothing stands up to this pungent stuff. Think I drank hot sauce or ran to brush my teeth and scrub my tongue off.

by for the worst thing I have ever tasted, not even in the beer world, but in all of my life.

DovaliHops wrote:
Tastes like soy sauce with a little bit of a sweeter edge. This tasted horrible and can't even judge the mouthfeel. Drinkability is terrible. This left such a nasty residue on the inside of the bottle that was almost impossible to get off. Like sticky tar on the inside of the bottle...very disgusting.

instrumentality wrote:
I shared this with the friend who was kind enough to bring it over after finding it in his garage caked in dust. Good? Bad? These words suggest a basis of comparison.

And this guy gave it a B! He continues:

instrumentality wrote:
My friend just dumped the remains from the bottom of the bottle into his glass. To consume any of this would be a feat worthy of a Fear Factor challenge. It's some menacing primordial sludge with consistencies ranging from motor oil to coffee grounds to chewing tobacco. I'm afraid that if we don't rinse the glass out tonight something will emerge from it and smother me in my sleep

The good news is, the last time I had this beer, it was still in production and I absolutely hated it. Some combination of aging of the beer and me being light years ahead of where I was in terms of beer appreciation has changed my perspective drastically. I can't say I love this beer, but I definitely respect it.

My god this man is hilarious.

It gets even better, I can't go on. It's bizarre that BeerAdvocate's employees gave it a B+. You'd think from reading the reviews that it tastes like gasoline lit on fire.

No, that's Fernet-Blanc (a liquor that was initially marketed as a "new" Jager... yeah, like Brahma was supposed to be marketed as the "new Corona"... and I still remember when Brahma ran that promo campaign and I was a bartender, I never gave away so many complimentary Coronas to people who wanted to return the beer telling me I was full of it when I was only pressing the marketing ploy). Fernet-Blanc by itself is absolutely TERRIBLE. At least Jager (I've really grown out of Jager since college except in a few mixed drinks) has a bit of a (overpowering) licorice flavor; Fernet's flavor is just like drinking straight Angostura bitters (Yes, I've actually tried that too, don't ask why). HOWEVER, drop a shot of Fernet-Blanc into ginger ale and drink it like a JagerBomb and it's shockingly delicious. One of those oddities of mankind type thing, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
No, that's Fernet-Blanc (a liquor that was initially marketed as a "new" Jager... yeah, like Brahma was supposed to be marketed as the "new Corona"... and I still remember when Brahma ran that promo campaign and I was a bartender, I never gave away so many complimentary Coronas to people who wanted to return the beer telling me I was full of it when I was only pressing the marketing ploy). Fernet-Blanc by itself is absolutely TERRIBLE. At least Jager (I've really grown out of Jager since college except in a few mixed drinks) has a bit of a (overpowering) licorice flavor; Fernet's flavor is just like drinking straight Angostura bitters (Yes, I've actually tried that too, don't ask why). HOWEVER, drop a shot of Fernet-Blanc into ginger ale and drink it like a JagerBomb and it's shockingly delicious. One of those oddities of mankind type thing, I guess.

Even the fact that I like Jager is an oddity of mankind. I hate licorice. But for some reason when combined with Red Bull, it's amazing.

I'm not much of a liquor guy anyway, though, which explains why I have like 800 posts in this beer thread.

MrDrew wrote:

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bottle of Chimay Blue last night, split it with a friend.

Yep, that's it. I can die happy now.

MrDrew wrote:

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I now have a new favorite bar... not in any small part because it's walking... err... staggering... ok, let's face it... CRAWLING distance from my condo.

But I digress...

The following beers are on draft (and I'll get to the best part at the end):
Maudite (Unibroue)
La Fin du Monde (Unibroue)
Trois Pistoles (Unibroue)
Don de Dieu (Unibroue... and I've NEVER been able to find this on draft ANYWHERE outside of a bar in San Diego!)
Delirium Nocturnum
Maredsous 8
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine (Stone Brewery)
Moylan's Dragoons Dry Irish Stout
Corsendonk Abbey Brown
Doggie Style Pale Ale (Flying Dog Brewery)

And they rotate in new beers pretty much every couple weeks.

But wait... there's more! Regulars (I'm still determining exactly how I can achieve this distinction short of spending the summer dropping $500-plus in there) are given their own "hook" (yes, it's literally a hook on the wall behind the bar) which they can hang their own stein/mug of preference (you have to bring it in, but they'll wash it and keep it for you) for use whenever they come in (and as long as it doesn't exceed 22 oz, you get charged the same as you would for a pint).

Something tells me I'm going to be sinking a lot of money into this place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
War Rush wrote:
Well, as of today I am now of legal age, so which beer should I celebrate with?

Go easy on yourself. Try a good Amber (Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber, SKA Pinstripe Red), a wheat, or even a Pilsner (Pilsner Urquell, Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils).

My first legal beer was Gulden Draak. Belgian beers in general, especially Abby Ales and Goldens, have a very "special beer" aura without being the type you have to acquire a taste for. Just buy a single bottle or glass for your first, then switch to something nicer on the wallet. The price becomes more palatable when you realize just how powerful they are. For that special beer #1 for anybody, at the top of my list for universal appeal and memorability would be Duvel, Delerium Trements, Piraat, Chimay Blue, Orval, Westmalle, and Gulden Draak.

I would especially NOT suggest a Baltic Porter, Imperial Stout, Barley Wine, Scottish Ale, or India Pale Ale. Those are not beginner beers.

I've had more than a few of those at The Bodega in La Crosse. Bit pricey Wink
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
So I now have a new favorite bar... not in any small part because it's walking... err... staggering... ok, let's face it... CRAWLING distance from my condo.

But I digress...

The following beers are on draft (and I'll get to the best part at the end):
Maudite (Unibroue)
La Fin du Monde (Unibroue)
Trois Pistoles (Unibroue)
Don de Dieu (Unibroue... and I've NEVER been able to find this on draft ANYWHERE outside of a bar in San Diego!)
Delirium Nocturnum
Maredsous 8
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine (Stone Brewery)
Moylan's Dragoons Dry Irish Stout
Corsendonk Abbey Brown
Doggie Style Pale Ale (Flying Dog Brewery)

And they rotate in new beers pretty much every couple weeks.

But wait... there's more! Regulars (I'm still determining exactly how I can achieve this distinction short of spending the summer dropping $500-plus in there) are given their own "hook" (yes, it's literally a hook on the wall behind the bar) which they can hang their own stein/mug of preference (you have to bring it in, but they'll wash it and keep it for you) for use whenever they come in (and as long as it doesn't exceed 22 oz, you get charged the same as you would for a pint).

Something tells me I'm going to be sinking a lot of money into this place.

I'm immediately jealous. There's a bar around here with a really nice tap selection but it can't come close to that. The worst part is that they're closing it in like two months.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 69 of 100

Jump to: