You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official 2009 Chargers War Room
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: The Official 2009 Chargers War Room Reply with quote

Welcome to the 2009 Chargers Draft thread, aka, the Chargers War Room.

List of Charger picks:

Round 1, Pick 16 - Larry English, OLB, Northern Illinois
Round 3, Pick 78 - Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech
Round 4, Pick 113 - Vaughn Martin, DE, Western Ontario
Round 4, Pick 133 (compensatory) - Tyronne Green, OC, Auburn
Round 4, Pick 134 (compensatory) - Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State
Round 5, Pick 148 - Bradon Hughes, DB, Oregon State
Round 6, Pick 189 - Kevin Ellison, S, USC
Round 7, Pick 224 - Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU

NFL Draft Tracker

For those who want to watch the draft on NFL Network but don't have it:

Watch here!

Schedule for this week.

Tuesday-Saturday morning: draft contest
Wednesday - my Charger specific Big Board
Thursday - My 1 round mock draft
Friday - My 7 round Charger draft
Saturday morning - last minute news
Saturday at 1pm - The Draft!

BIG BOARD:
TBD

1 Round Mock

TBD

Full Charger Mock
TBD

For the contest, I wanted to get feedback from those who participated in it last year. Any changes I should make? Here is how it worked: each member set up a cluster of 5 players for each round, bolding the one player they thought the Chargers would draft. Then there was a point distribution based on who was drafted. This year should be much better since there are more picks.

Here's to a great draft and a couple of future starters!

Last edited by AntonioGates on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as of today, we still have McShay back to projecting us to take Beanie... though at least he did mention that it was more of a "luxury pick" (Let me ask you Todd, how does one have a "luxury pick" in the 1st, when you don't have a 2nd?) and that a team might look to trade up with us at #16 (not that he actually mentioned any teams) if they wanted Wells.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of either of them, I think I've started to warm (to about luke-level or room-temperature) to the notion of Tyson Jackson or Maualuga being the pick. I still think there are better fits for our team at those respective needs in this draft that would be available to us in later rounds, but barring a trade-back they've got more "value" at the pick than other reaches. I'm really hoping AJ manages to pull a rabbit out of his keester with this draft though.

Anyone got a more up to date list of guys we've brought in for workouts or actively sought out to watch the workouts of?

One new guy to add to the mix is Vaughn Martin from (believe this or not...) Western Ontario University. Random I know, but the man is 6'3", 330 lbs, ran a 5.04 40, put up 33 bench press reps, and ran a freakin' 4.31 20-yard shuttle (which for a guy of his size is astounding). He's raw, yes, and he may be too tall to play NT in a 3-4 (He's likely closer to 6'4" than 6'3", so he could have issues with shorter centers getting leverage on him or vice versa). But he's an extremely athletic big guy, in the mold of an extremely less polished Haloti Ngata.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I think I've started to warm (to about luke-level or room-temperature) to the notion of Tyson Jackson or Maualuga being the pick.

HAHA YES IVE DONE THE IMPOSSIBLE. lol

You cant say that 6'3" is tall for a NT because that is like a guy that we have in JWall. He deffinatly looks like a beast and he seems like a sleeper for sure.
BoltsFan937

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Mayock has us taking..http://www.sdboltreport.com/....Aaron Maybin? That was a mild shocker to me. Gotta say I haven't heard his name associated with the Chargers yet this year. Then again that may follow AJ's m.o. though. I can't see this happening, and I personally think Maybin's a bust, if we went rush LB I hope it's Everette Brown.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoltsFan937 wrote:
And Mayock has us taking..http://www.sdboltreport.com/....Aaron Maybin? That was a mild shocker to me. Gotta say I haven't heard his name associated with the Chargers yet this year. Then again that may follow AJ's m.o. though. I can't see this happening, and I personally think Maybin's a bust, if we went rush LB I hope it's Everette Brown.

Not that I'm really too keen on either of them, but forced to pick between the two I'd take Maybin in a heartbeat. He's raw - I mean like 2 seasons minimum away kind of raw - for sure, but he's got Brown beaten on athleticism and instincts. I think any team that drafts Brown to be a 3-4 OLB is in for some trouble. IMO he's a mirror image of the last undersized DE that was taken to be a rush LB, Kamerion Wimbley, who pretty much crapped out after teams actually got tape on him, because he never improved his pass-rush repertoire. Brown has a spin-move... and that's pretty much it, except for being quick off the snap, an advantage he loses in fair share when you take his hand out of the dirt, because he can't dip a shoulder under to avoid the initial punch and will just get redirected well past the QB pretty consistently. Literally, I see Brown as a Cover-2/Tampa-2 RDE and that's pretty much it.

Sounding more and more now like Pioli is going to follow the Pats model of 3-4 DE early (they took Seymour with the 6th overall and Ty Warren with the 13th overall picks), and I really wouldn't put it past the Chiefs, even if they can't trade back, to take Tyson Jackson at #3. Do I think it's particularly smart? Not really... I'd take Raji and move Glenn Dorsey out to RDE, for sake of maximizing high-count money already invested. Does it hurt us a little because it takes a "safety-valve' prospect off our board? Yes. But if things happen the way I see them unfolding, then the first OT won't be off the board until the Bengals' pick at #5. And that might give us a prayer of having Oher fall to us. You never know.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Buck Melanoma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, folks. Not sure if I may have posted here some time ago or not.

Just wanted to drop in & say GO CHARGERS!!!!

I threw together a 7 round mock just for fun this year - first time.

I'm thinking that Jackson (who I'm not high on) will be gone before 16.
Don't like the idea of more money at the RB position, although I have us grabbing James Davis with our second comp in the 4th.
Maualuga doesn't thrill me, either, though I wouldn't kill myself over the pick. Confused

I'd like to trade down & get a 2nd, but dance partners are getting scarce. Even though it's a reach at 16, if we don't move I have us going with Ziggy Hood. Not a value at 16, but he can address a need at DE.

Can I get in on this draft contest?
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personaly dont like Ziggy, but alot of people on this forum do. I would much rather have Maualuga(and i have basically gotten crusefied for it here), but it seems to me like if we dont take Maualuga, the most likely trade partners are the Eggles so they can jump above some people and get Knowshon. Other then that, i cant really think about who to trade with.
ronniebrown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
I personaly dont like Ziggy, but alot of people on this forum do. I would much rather have Maualuga(and i have basically gotten crusefied for it here), but it seems to me like if we dont take Maualuga, the most likely trade partners are the Eggles so they can jump above some people and get Knowshon. Other then that, i cant really think about who to trade with.

The Eagles have never taken a round 1 RB and if they want a RB in this draft I think they wait until a later round, the only real sleeper trading partner could maybe the Bills wanting to move their new first rounder up.

~ Lork
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because they haven't taken a first round rb doesn't mean that they won't start now. Their supposedly really high on him and they really think that he could be the guy that they want for the future. They very well couldpull the trigger on this deal.
ronniebrown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Just because they haven't taken a first round rb doesn't mean that they won't start now. Their supposedly really high on him and they really think that he could be the guy that they want for the future. They very well couldpull the trigger on this deal.

I really don't see Andy Reid changing his style now... you forget they are also high on Pettigrew and if they trade up for anyone it will be likely be him, however with that said I don't see them trading up because they can probably get both players where they are with out losing picks.

~ Lork
kramxel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so much talent in the 2nd round this year it's a shame we don't have any....
ronniebrown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
With so much talent in the 2nd round this year it's a shame we don't have any....

If at all possible I would prefer to trade back and then trade out of the first...

This is a very deep draft in rounds 2-4 but it is real weak in the middle of the first and unfortunately both my teams are in the middle at 15 and 16!

~ Lork
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you look at it, there are some really good players that could still be there. Although i know u guys dont like him, Maualuga is a great player and will help our team greatly, and i hate to admit it but Robert Ayers is a good player along with Michael Oher(who could fall), and again as much as i hate to say it, Beanie Wells.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 'Big Board'

Players I expect gone by pick 16
Stafford
Sanchez
Monroe
J. Smith
A. Smith
Curry
Raji
Crabtree

By Position

RB:
(Very good value all around. Everyone up to Ringer is a very good prospect in my good, the others are projects but solid none the less.)
Chris Wells
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Andre Brown
LeSean McCoy
Rashad Jennings
Shonn Greene
Javon Ringer
Mike Goodson
Glen Coffee
James Davis
Jeremiah Johnson

OT:
(If we want a day 1 starter, my floor is Loadholt. Beatty is a fringe starter, but he will probalby surpass Clary down the road. I've grown very fond of Land and Meredith, I hope our 3rd round choice is spent on either of them)
Michael Oher
Eben Britton
Phil Loadholt
William Beatty
T.J. Lang
Jamon Meredith
Troy Kropog
Fenuki Tupou
Jason Watkins
Gerald Cadogan
Sebastian Vollmer

OG/C:
(Amazing draft for these positions)
Max Unger
Alex Mack
Eric Wood
Andy Levitre
Kraig Urbik
Johnathan Luigs
Antoine Caldwell
Duke Robinson
Herman Johnson
Tyronne Green
A.Q. Shipley
Edwin Williams
Cornelius Lewis
Roger Allen

DE:
(our biggest need in my opinion)
Tyson Jackson
Evander 'Ziggy' Hood
Jarron Gilbert
Alex Magee
Fili Moala

(haven't really followed later round DEs, I fully expect one of these 5 players to be a San Diego Charger in a few days)

NT:
(slim pickings. Hill and Favorite may be good projects)
Ron Brace
Sammie Lee Hill
Marlon Favorite

ILB:
(I really don't like the top of the class, but I love the middle of this class)
Rey Maulaga
James Laurinaitis
Clint Sintim
Jasper Brinkley
Scott McKillop
Frantz Joseph
Mike Rivera
Joshua Mauga

S
(Another great class in the middle)
Malcolm Jenkins
William Moore
Sean Smith
Louis Delmas
Patrick Chung
Rashad Johnson
Jairus Byrd
Sherrod Martin
Victor 'Macho' Harris
DeAngelo Smith
Courtney Greene
Otis Wiley

Overall for 16:
Tyson Jackson
(I have thought this entire process he was a top 15 talent, maybe even a top 10 talent. He is the best 5 tech to come out in years. His ceiling is Seymour, and his floor is Spears. I'll take that range every days)
Michael Oher
(Some concerns, but he is a top tackle like Clady/Albert/Otah last year)
Evander Hood
(Not the greatest fit in 3-4, but I think he could learn the position and be a great contributor)
Michael Jenkins
(Maybe another Oliver/Cason clone?)
Chris Wells
(Elite talent, but is it a need?)
Knowshon Moreno
(Great all around back, but lacking elite tools like Wells)
Eben Britton
(Safe and solid fall back option)
Rey Maulaga
(Two down linebacker who can lay the wood. Great leadership qualities but character concerns and not an every down player)
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of those options you listed, i would put them in this order.

1. Rey Maualuga(You all know i'm really high on this guy, but other then that he gives us another game changer and tone setter in our D which we are desperately in need of and will work in great with Burnett and Cooper)

2. Tyson Jackson (The only guy with alot of exp playing as a 5-T DE and will be able to pick up where Igor leaft off and then some.)

3. Malcolm Jenkins (good corner but has not really proven himself at Safety. Reminds me too much of Michael Huff which scares me. Would just be BPA here event though i dont think he will fall.)

3. Michael Oher (although i think that we would be much better off taking a OT later in the draft like Lang in the 4th, Oher would be just a BPA situation if the two i listed above are gone.)

4. Chris Wells (He has very good tallent and is exactly what we need in a RB, but RB isn't enough of a need and we have too much money already tied up in RB's to spend another couple mill on Wells)

5. Evander Hood (decent player but wont fit great in our D and would be a secondary option to Jackson if that is the position that we want to go after)

6. Knowshon Moreno (good back but not really what were looking for. He doesn't have all the physical tools that Beanie does and i dont think he will be as productive.)

7. Eben Britton (I woudn't like to see him at 16. He is a decent player that was kind of protected by U of A's scheme)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: