You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars, RB Maurice Jones-Drew agree to a 5-year extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iHUSTLE-N-GRIND

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
I'd put it this way. He's an elite playmaker, but not even close to an elite running back. We'll see how he does starting. I think he'll come out with a bang but wear down towards the end of the season, finishing with around 1,150 yards and 10 TDs and 500 rec yards with 4 TDs.

This I can agree with.

^ PD21.
mikeyfarley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
I'd put it this way. He's an elite playmaker, but not even close to an elite running back. We'll see how he does starting. I think he'll come out with a bang but wear down towards the end of the season, finishing with around 1,150 yards and 10 TDs and 500 rec yards with 4 TDs.

How is he not close to an elite RB? What is it that he's lacking?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyfarley wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

he hasnt shown that he can carry the Full load yet.

lets just wait one season and see how he pans out, then we can rip (or bow down) on him..whichever comes first Laughing

packerbacker87,Best Sig on FF!
mikeyfarley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007 wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

he hasnt shown that he can carry the Full load yet.

lets just wait one season and see how he pans out, then we can rip (or bow down) on him..whichever comes first Laughing

You can't list 1 thing about his game that is week. He was in a backfield with a great RB in Fred Taylor(who could end up getting HOF consideration). It's not like he's ever failed to do anything he was ever asked.

You say he hasn't shown that he can carry the load, like he's tried to and failed. But that's not the case. You can't fault him for something that he's never been asked to do yet. Just look at what he's done and tell me what about his abilities keep him from being "close to an elite back".
TEG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iHUSTLE-N-GRIND wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

This I can agree with.

ME TOO.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say he isn't a top running back all you want...but I will let you pass on him in fantasy football next year and run away with the title. Dude is going to be a monster next year.
brownsfan2009

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say he hasn't carried the load, and you may not count it because a college year isn't the same as NFL, but he was the team at UCLA.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyfarley wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

Well for starters... 1000 rushing yards... or more than 200 carries would be a nice start.

In his third year in the league, he STILL couldn't beat out a 33 year old back with injury issues?

How doesn't that concern you?
JonesDrew32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
In his third year in the league, he STILL couldn't beat out a 33 year old back with injury issues?

Yea, it's not like Fred Taylor wasn't coming off a season in 2007 where he just averaged 5.4 yards per carry.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonesDrew32 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Yea, it's not like Fred Taylor wasn't coming off a season in 2007 where he just averaged 5.4 yards per carry.

only to drop to a 3.9 YPC and average of 11.0 handoff's a game this past year?
JonesDrew32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
JonesDrew32 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

only to drop to a 3.9 YPC and average of 11.0 handoff's a game this past year?

Kind of hard to run through holes when the O-Line didn't create any. Fred Taylor had to fight to even get back to the original line of scrimmage. It felt like opposing defenders were already in the backfield before he even got the handoff.

And why do you think Fred only got 11.0 handoffs a game? Maybe the emergence of Maurice Jones-Drew? It also had to do with the fact that Dirk Koetter tended to abandon the running game at times. Since we were usually down late in games, we had to rely on Garrard's arm instead of the running game.
torch1980

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iHUSTLE-N-GRIND wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Overpaid and overrated. Let's see how he handles the load this season as the starter (which IMO the Jags would have been smarter to wait and see as well). Didn't realize though that not even cracking 1,000 yards, nor being the main starter made you a top 3 paid RB.

I expected this from a Tack fan. Razz

Pretty much, I have seen MJD play the steelers and he made them look horrible, hes a talented rb, its rare to have a rb who can kr, pr, catch and run the ball...and do it very well like MJD does

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
mikeyfarley wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

Well for starters... 1000 rushing yards... or more than 200 carries would be a nice start.

How doesn't that concern you?

Are you serious? Fred Taylor made the pro bowl in 2007. Were the Jags supposed to cut him right after making the pro bowl?

Injury issues? Is it still 2001? He's missed a grand total of 11 games combined in the last 7 seasons.

The Jags had 2 studs at RB, now they only have 1.

So while Fred Taylor rushed for over 1100 yards in 06 and 07(and made a pro bowl), MJD was supposed to rush for over 1000 yards while getting a lot less carries(including a lot of short yardage and goal line carries)?

MJD has "carried the load" throughout high school and college. He doesn't have an injury history(never missed 1 NFL game due to injury). When he's been a starter he's produced.

Why would anyone question if he can carry the load so much? It's not like he's Darren Sproles and only weighs 180 pounds. He's a tough physical player with hardly any injury history at all, who's had to share a backfield with a pro bowl RB.

I guess Bo Jackson was a bad RB because he never had 200 carries or 1000 rush yards. 200 carries and 1000 yards are arbitrary numbers. Like somehow if MJD got 3 more carries last season it would make him a better player. Or if he got 60 more rush yards as a rookie he'd be a better player. Ridiculous argument.
NFLdraftGURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much money for a complimentary back.
CrackMonster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought.

Quote:
Career stats vs. AFC South teams...

Indianapolis:
91 att., 571 yds., 6.3 ypc., 20 rec., 199 yds., 10.0 ypr., 7 TD's

Tennessee:
81 att., 366 yds., 4.5 ypc., 18 rec., 196 yds., 10.9 ypr., 4 TD's

Houston: (missed one game in 2007)
42 att., 228 yds., 5.4 ypc., 20 rec., 212 yds., 10.6 ypr., 4 TD's

I believe he is the only HB in the league to average at least 10 yards per catch.

Wonders of ElipticDawg.
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I am EXCITED that the Texans will have to play him 2x a year, as I think Gabbert is a David Carr clone.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: