Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Notes on the Steelers and the 07 & 08 drafts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Notes on the Steelers and the 07 & 08 drafts Reply with quote

Kevin Colbert @ the 2007 Pre=Draft Press Conference
Quote:
If you look back on our draft history, or at least sine I have been involved with it, we have always alternated offense defense until the last three years, we have been straight offense. It doesn't mean you will take a defensive player this year but it does mean that you probably got a little older on defense from a depth standpoint than you would like to be. I think the only two positions you could eliminate for us in the first round, I think obviously would be a quarterback or a tight end. I think anything other than that will be wide open.

We drafted Timmons and Woodley 1 & 2.

Quote:
How does the second day change from the first day in terms of picking?

Kevin Colbert: It really doesn't. Obviously the players you are picking on the second day, if you have them evaluated correctly, aren't going to be as good as the ones you hopefully took on the first day. As we all know, that is not always the case, Tom Brady and Willie Parker come to mind right away. Usually you are drafting more depth on the second day and you are possibly considering guys that might not make your team but may be a practice guy that in four, five or eights weeks into the season he may be ready play and make your active roster

Quote:
Again, as I have said before, the mistake that will be made is if you need something and you go to the next round and take him and you left a better player on the board. In the end, that will catch up to you.

Tomlin @ 07 Pre Draft Conf.
Quote:
Those are some of the things that we are going to talk about this week as we continue to stack the board and look at some of the guys particularly as you get into the second day and some free agent guys, how they stack up against some of the guys that we are developing here

Colbert
Quote:
You also don't want to lock into a specific need. I coach will answer this the same way and I don't want to take words out of his mouth, but he always says that talent defines scheme. If you lock yourself in and say he can't help us, that is when you make a mistake

Tomlin
Quote:
There are some 3-4 teams that are a one-gap front and there are some 3-4 teams that are a two-gap front. The 3-4 teams that are a one-gap front play very similar to the 4-3 teams. It is becoming gray and I think football players are football players and guys that can make plays, will make plays.

Why did you go to Florida State's Pro Day together?

Quote:
Mike Tomlin: For me personally, I guess it is just part of me being down in Tampa for so long. I have been to about six of them in a row. It has become normalcy for me to go to their workout, probably similar to you guys going over to Pitt, or something like that. That was my mentality. They have some quality players and a good program so they are going to have players come out every year.

Kevin Colbert: If I remember correctly, that week, I think Arkansas was working out that Tuesday and they had a player, Jamaal Anderson, who hadn't worked out yet. Michigan was working out on Friday; Lamar Woodley hadn't worked out, so there was time in between. We decided to go out and get an extra look. We could do it, so logistically we figured, let's take advantage of it."

Colbert
Quote:
This year we feel good where we are at 15. This isn't a bad year to be a little bit lower. There are a lot of good players that are going to be available. We are excited and we wish that we had more than nine picks, because I really think we could really help ourselves

Colbert @ 2008 Pre Draft Press Conference
Quote:
We probably did a more detailed evaluation on about 600 and paired that down to another 360 and we are probably are going to be picking from about a 160 guys when you put it all together. Of those 160, Coach Tomlin and I visited with 85 of those guys, either at the combine at their individual workouts or back here. Hopefully we are going to get six good picks and 12 or so free agents to come in and help the team

Quote:
This is one draft where at this stage I donít think we got a handle really on a position or one player. Sometimes you can get that feel, but this year I think there is going to be a lot of variables that will happen in front of us and we are not going to lock our knees, we will be very flexible and try to adjust accordingly

Quote:
Do you pass on a guy at a position where there is depth to pick a guy at a position that is not as deep?

KC: If is the value of the player at the lighter position is still worthy of that position, sure

Tomlin on D 1-AA/small school players
Quote:
The one thing that I look for personally is that those guys who play at lower level competitions dominate; that they stand out. I think that is important because you know that the leap that they have to take is going to be longer than the leap that other players have to take.

Tomlin
Quote:
We value guys that have position flexibility. Some of the guys that we have acquired, not only in this off-season but prior to, have position flexibility. Whether they are guys who are capable of playing both tackles, whether they are guys that have guard-tackle capabilities or whether they are guys who have guard-center capabilities. We like that because we think that that gives us options

Quote:
Because running backs can be had later in the draft, will you take one in the first round?

KC: Depends on the back and the alternatives at the other picks because really we are never going to pass a good player feeling that we are going to get another good player somewhere down the line. If we really like him then we better take him where we like him because you donít know. If you really like somebody then you better take him and then adjust it as you go down. Iím not going to pass a really exceptional player on the hope that we can get a really similar player down the road, even though you will know what your possibilities are

Colbert
Quote:
I think that of the 30 visits that we had we had eleven that were follow-ups and nineteen other visits. Then we had some free visits, the Pitt kids didnít count towards that total. Collectively we talked to about 85 of them and we are just trying to get as much information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: