Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

portis in trade with colts for the edge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DO YOU THINK THIS IS GOOD
YES
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
NO
88%
 88%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 18

cowboy17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: portis in trade with colts for the edge Reply with quote

it was reported that the colts asked the redskins if they would like to trade portis for james because the to teams had been talking for a while. because portis never made a impact he wouldnt mind having a paycut to play for the colts and the redskins wouldnt mind paying james what he wants after the trade. they think he could adapt to the teams running game better, I THINK THIS IS GREAT PORTIS COULD'NT ADAPT AND THE EDGE WILL
samuariskins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Trade Reply with quote

James for Portis? How old is James? Does he still have the legs without the support cast of Manning and those three WRs? How much will it cost us? Lets not rush into this unless we get a better deal out of it.
Redskins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think something is great for the Redskins and your screen name is cowboy17? hmmm..

And no. Portis isn't the problem, it's just the offense, they just need to come together. This isn't going to happen. No way.
Mikejs0928

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Portis in trade with colts for the edge Reply with quote

This is crazy talk......James is an power back.... But we went out too far just to get Portis... If we trade him we just wasted money and tops he is an good runner...... I think Poritus is going to be better next seaon.... he was new to joe gibbs offince now he knows it......so i think This trade is an no no!!!!!![/b]
andrew91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What....god this would never happen, players stay with teams for awhile in football, this isnt baseball
And yeah, te screename says it all.
ctj0215

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm... no.

I'll keep the guy that averages 1400 yards a season.. but thanks for the offer. Give it some time to develop.

Even if the economics worked I still woudnt do it.
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I think its funny that a cowboy guy posted this!!!
that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard, James has already had a acl injury on his knee, they are about the same type of back, its not like James is going to come in here and do more than Portis did this year.

James is also about 3 or 4 years older than Portis!
Archuleta31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the skins need to shape up that line and Portis will work well there but no running back can be great without an ok line.
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres one thing i dont understand, and this is not to pick on you archuleta31, because i see it all over the place...why do people continue to say the redskins need to shape up their o-line, or revamp their o-line...

maybe they are simply remembering the spurrier era where the line gave up mad sacks due to horrible line schemes and no backs or TEs staying in to block...but it really isnt a bad line whatsoever...

Samuels- Former number 3 overall pick and former all-pro
Dockery- Former All-American, huge and developing nicely
Raymer- Obviously weak link but not horrible by any means
Thomas- All-pro last year and one of the best guards in the game according to most
Jansen- Probably one of the 5 best RTs, especially with regard to run blocking

I mean that is not a horrible line...raymer should be replaced with a young and imposing guy...but let Dockery continue to develop and Jansen return 100%...we will have a nasty o-line next year, trust me, especially with Buges running the show

I understand that this has basically nothing to do with the thread but i had to get that off my chest
ctj0215

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are hearing it cause we gave up a ton of sacks. And under a gibbs buges team, the goal is less than 20 sacks a year. we arent there. when we get to 20, I'll stop complaining.
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree, on paper it looks like we have a great offensive line, but then again on paper it looks like our team should be in the playoffs and pushing the eagles for the division lead and a chance to go to the Super Bowl, but that's on paper!!

The results are we gave up 3 less sacks last year then we did the year before under Spurrier and that was with Mark Brunell throwing every other pass either out of bounds on in the dirt!!

Maybe its because we missed our offensive leader out there in Jansen, I hope so! I'd say if this line doesn't improve next year, then we'll have to seriously have to think about making major changes, because the last 2 years performances but an offenisve line which is one of the highest paid in football is unacceptable.

Another thing though, is that 2 years ago we didn't have enough people blocking, and this past year I think we had too many people blocking most of the time, there has to be a medium between the 2.

How bout sending 4 guys out on patterns instead of just 2, and only keeping one TE in to block! Try it Gibbsy it may work if we have more options to throw too!!
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skins gave up 38 sacks last year.....that is absolutely disgraceful!!
2 yrs ago, 45 sacks under spurrier!!
In order to be successful we have to get that # under 30!
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well IMHO it would make a bit of a difference replacing a 42 year old man with one of the top 5 RTs in the league...

there were only 3 teams in the league with less than 20 sacks, and one of those was indianapolis, which is no reflection on their o-line...another is green bay, which again is more of a reflection on favre's ability to get the ball out quickly...denver has a great o-line, no argument there...

but look at the rankings, the skins are about middle of the pack in the league in terms of sacks without their best lineman...also remember that they were playing from behind in most games...other teams knew we were passing and so their d-line just pinned it back and rushed...as a final point, i love ramsey, but at this point he still holds the ball too long on 5 or 7 step drops and some of those sacks are on him...

only looking at sacks is an ill-conceived method of determining o-line quality...who do we consider to be the best o-line in the league? probably kansas city IMO...32 sacks...who was one of the most dominant o-lines in the league this year? the steelers...36 sacks...who is the best o-line coach in the league? besides buges Very Happy its alex gibbs, of the falcons...50 sacks...

sure they gave up too many sacks and sure they could have run-blocked more...but lets remember that o-linemen learn a system just like everyone else...this stuff is new to them as well...just like we are willing to give portis another year, and ramsey another year, and gibbs another year...lets give these guys another year before we tear them up...especially with their number one man comin back to dominate this year
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, but it something that we need to improve upon!
I know next year they are going to be alot better in all areas of offensive line play because Jansen will be back and he'll make a big difference seeing that he is the leader of this football team!
ctj0215

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyhting you guys said.

BUT...

KC's line isnt awesome for pass blocking, they are the strtaight up best run blocking line I have ever seen.

Denver is the best all around package run and pass block.

The skins's 38 sacks wouldnt be god aweful if I hadnt listened to buges in the preseason say he wanted to see the sacks down to the teens. Now, I am a realist but come on, keep it in the 20s. We are talking about coaches that base their game around a good o-line... that is the essence of the gibbs offense. Right now... not so good... next year... hopefully better. But, I agree, less ray brown, more sreading the field and forcing opponents out of 9 men-in-the-box scenarios. Thats why they get to us... no respect and it only takes 3 guys to cover two receivers. The otehr 8 are going in and sometimes 9

gibbs will figure it out... I hope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: