You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official FF Technology Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Official FF Technology Thread Reply with quote

Since we have some many different technology based threads opened up on a weekly basis I thought it would be a great idea to open up an entire thread dedicated to technology. I am here to answer any question that I can in relation to technology.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about my background. To begin with I have roughly 7 years of technology experience. I'm a Network Administrator for a hospital system. I have been at this job for about 3.5 years. Before this job, I was a Level 2 Service Technician at a local IT services shop for 3 years, which focused on working with home users and small businesses to meet their IT needs.

My education includes a BAS in Telecommunications Engineering and 2 AAS, one in Computer Information Systems and one in Electrical Engineering. I'm also Cisco, Microsoft, and CompTIA certified.

I will answer any questions that I can regarding help topics with computers, also I want to keep a solid discussion of current events in Technology. I will answer questions regards to computers, spyware, viruses, servers, Windows, Office, cell phones, MP3 Players, iTunes, etc. I will NOT discuss social networking sites or how to obtain copyrighted material illegally at all.

boondock's Recommended Comptuer Software

AVG Antivirus - Great Free AntiVirus
Ad-Adware Spyware Removal - The Original and still one of the best spyware removal tools
SuperAntiSpyware - Best Spyware Removal Tool I have seen in years
CCleaner - Great Unecessary/Temp File Removal Tool
FireFox - My favorite browser Available, Best sure to download the AdBlockPro Add-on
Songbird - Lightweight Alternative to Itunes built on Firefox engine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread to start! I will start with a easy question:
Which internet browser do you prefer and why? Also what are the benefits over the other browsers? Thanks

EDIT: Other than firefox!
thedishere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know any software that will can tell you if your computer is operating at optimum performance

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrms, This is actually what I'm going to school for at the moment. As of now, Just Computer Networking Systems and may go for Information Securities. Not quite sure yet.

But tell me, Are you a bad enough to actually put the 568B into the RJ45 socket? The first time, It took me roughly 2 hours to do it, now It only takes me about 10 minutes. Oh the joy.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Good thread to start! I will start with a easy question:
Which internet browser do you prefer and why? Also what are the benefits over the other browsers? Thanks

EDIT: Other than firefox!

I'm a Firefox believer anyway you look at it. They have so many add-ins that are exceptionally good, it's really hard to find a better browser now.

IE is a huge security hole in itself and is a system hog.

Safari has nice speed and elegant feel, but I think outside of the Mac world it's not going to gain much momentum.

Chrome could be the next Firefox IF they can the add-in support that Firefox has.

thedishere wrote:
do you know any software that will can tell you if your computer is operating at optimum performance

http://download.cnet.com/PerformanceTest/3000-2086_4-10030322.html?tag=mncol

This is a program that I used to use at my old job to see where someone's computer stood against bottlenecks. It was a solid program that allowed us to show end users what they should upgrade to improve overall computer speed. It's a free 30 day trial, so it should provide some good detail.

Halfback007 wrote:
Hrms, This is actually what I'm going to school for at the moment. As of now, Just Computer Networking Systems and may go for Information Securities. Not quite sure yet.

But tell me, Are you a bad enough to actually put the 568B into the RJ45 socket? The first time, It took me roughly 2 hours to do it, now It only takes me about 10 minutes. Oh the joy.

It has been a while since I have done the whole wiring with a RJ45. At my last job, I did this on a daily basis and would probably be able to complete both ends of a cable within 4-5 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any free anti-virus protectors for Macs? Is one even needed?

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the usual entry level position for someone in IT?
coors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the best free anti virus client for PC in your guys opinion?

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:

Free free? Usually AVG

Can't hurt to play with the free trials though.
ttrraavviiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Avast as a free antivirus, and it works OK...I hate anti-virus programs though. Use too much memory..

I don't know what happened to my Firefox...I updated it with the new version in March, and immediately after that, it started to freeze, lag and become unresponsive at least once every 5 minutes...Incredibly annoying. I uninstalled it..that did nothing. I searched for an older version, to no avail...so I had to stop using it. I deleted all the registry entries under Mozilla/Firefox...still no improvement, so I'm positive it's that update that isn't cooperating..and I have no way to do anything about it.

I went to Opera, which is pretty similar...It's smaller, doesn't use as many resources. I think it's easier to use, IMO. I just wish it was compatible with every website. For example; Cars.com just shows as a jumbled script of random letters on Opera. Few other sites say it isn't supported, but still works. That gets annoying, but for the most part, Opera > Firefox..In my opinion.

Internet Explorer is awful...Google Chrome is awful..

Quote:

I went to school for NSA. Seemed like everyone was jumping into that field when I graduated though...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
Are there any free anti-virus protectors for Macs? Is one even needed?

http://www.clamxav.com/ I have used the windows version of this product for sometime and it works very well.

Absolutely AV protection is needed. Virus and spyware for Macs are on the rise as we speak. The rise in popularity of the Apple product has allowed creators of spyware to attacking Macs in recent months.

Halfback007 wrote:
What is the usual entry level position for someone in IT?

Help Desk Support is probably the most common. If you went to a smaller scale employer, you would probably look at being a Jr. Network Admin or Systems Support (basically PC support).

coors wrote:

It has to be AVG, I do not think that there is anyone that's on their level for free AV at this point in time. Avira and Avast are gaining ground though and are also viable options.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread boondock. This should help tech newbies like myself out a lot.
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a little out of place, but I have a question about my iTouch.

My iTouch, to put it simply, cannot play any playlist with more than a couple different artists on it. I often listen to it in my car, plugged into the AUX port, so it rides horizontally. If I wake it up to skip a song, I have to hold it horizontally so it can fly through all the different album covers, and if I don't, it freezes. There's also about a 60% chance that my iTouch will shut off 10 seconds to 1 minute into whatever the second song is that comes on during shuffle after I turn it on. Is my iTouch defective?
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

My iTouch, to put it simply, cannot play any playlist with more than a couple different artists on it. I often listen to it in my car, plugged into the AUX port, so it rides horizontally. If I wake it up to skip a song, I have to hold it horizontally so it can fly through all the different album covers, and if I don't, it freezes. There's also about a 60% chance that my iTouch will shut off 10 seconds to 1 minute into whatever the second song is that comes on during shuffle after I turn it on. Is my iTouch defective?

You sure are in the right spot. I'll do my best to answer any question regarding technology that I can.

I'm not sure if you have a defective iTouch or not. I own one myself and have not had any of the issues.

One suggestion that you could use, would be to recover your iTouch back to the original state. Only downside is, you lose all of your apps and music back. Basically, you plug your iTouch into your computer and from iTunes click the restore button on your device menu.

Also, noticed that my touch had an upgrade today, you might want to try this upgrade before you proceed with a complete wipe off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
kenney wrote:

You sure are in the right spot. I'll do my best to answer any question regarding technology that I can.

I'm not sure if you have a defective iTouch or not. I own one myself and have not had any of the issues.

One suggestion that you could use, would be to recover your iTouch back to the original state. Only downside is, you lose all of your apps and music back. Basically, you plug your iTouch into your computer and from iTunes click the restore button on your device menu.

Also, noticed that my touch had an upgrade today, you might want to try this upgrade before you proceed with a complete wipe off.

Also there is a good program to backup music for your itouch and if you can wait 2 hours, when I get home I'll post what its called! I use it and works very well!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 1 of 101

Jump to: