Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Texans Nation Awards Show [FINISHED!]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I'm very humbled by this honor. Thanks guys. I figured I owed you a bit of a more personal "acceptance speech" than you are used to getting from me.

I signed on in February last year for a few reasons:
1) I was immensely frustrated that every stinking mock and national discussion had us taking RB in the 1st.
2) I was a disgruntled season ticket holder drifting away from the team
3) I was undergoing intense stress with the pending birth of my son, job stress, and trying to finally quit drinking for good and needed some "healthy" escape.

After I got a little traction with my "ignore RB until the 4th" arguments, I went on to start questioning some of the other commonly held beliefs of Texan Nation such as Morlon Greenwood is a great LB, the problems in the secondary were all injury related, and Kubiak and Smiths unquestioned greatness. I took on players I thought were completely overrated by TN including Will Demps, Mike Brisiel, and CC Brown. I've been wrong on plenty of things, such as questioning AJ's ability to put up a complete great season and David Anderson being a complete waste of space, not to mention being way too argumentative in the beginning.

Basically, it is my nature to question commonly held beliefs even those that are held up as gospel. As a Baylor guy, I was always frustrated by people who just blindly went along with what their parents told them to believe and had some great professors who taught me to question fearlessly and test your faith often. It is often misunderstood here that me "questioning" players, coaches, management, or strategy means I am being negative or bashing the team, when in fact I feel I am a much stronger fan today than last year for having tested my own beliefs about this team. Much like being a good "American" to me means practicing all of your rights including the right to disagree with leaders, I think the best fans take the time to actually study the team and how to improve it, not just blindly accept that the starter is the best guy for the job or go along with what management tells you.

The off-shoot of this board besides making me a better fan, is that I've learned from each of you areas where I'm not as strong such as x's and o's and developed a thirst for things beyond the GM side where my interests had traditionally stayed. I've also felt a feeling of comradery with the members of this board that has served as a vital escape from "real life" for me which has been amazingly difficult over the past year and a half. Many of the younger members remind me that I wasn't always as cynical as I had become and the older members make me feel as I'm not alone in still being a mega-fan dork despite having a family and major work responsibilities. Finally, I rarely get a chance to just hang and talk sports with friends as sports bars are not a healthy place for me to hang out anymore and I still get to indulge this beloved activity here.

Thank you for recognizing my contributions to this board, but trust me, I receive much more from you than I give. I look forward to spending another amazing draft season with you. If you recall last year, I got incredibly ill on draft day and was completely out of it thru most of the draft which robbed me of "guy Christmas." I've already cleared my schedule for April 25 & 26 and am taking off the 27th just to decompress and geek out.

Well written. It has been great having you aboard with the rest of the Texans nation. You are well-deserving of this award. Congratulations again.
HoustonAggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the posters that got awards today.

PS: Am I eligible for the rookie award next year?

Andre Johnson stat tracker: 90 Rec 1,433 Yds 8 TD
Dangerous59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lork, congrats.

I'm sorry that you like Texas Tech. Laughing
CAS22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats LORK!

BTW, on the sig, it says Texas Nation instead of Texan Nation haha.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all of our winners this year. Your devotion to this forum and the intelligence you bring have turned Texans Nation into one of the most well respected team forums on this site.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats LORK. You've certainly earned it.

#JDI
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Lork. Dangerous59 had asked me to do a write-up as well, but I'm currently in the mountains skiing and have not had as much time to check the forum as I usually do.

Here is what I would have written about you:

I remember the time when Goose and myself were the only posters on this forum. We actually didn't even have a mod when we started, and Goose nobly took on the job. So for a while it was just the two of us discussing the Texans and trying to thwart some of the insults hurled our way from other forums.

Then a wave of Texans posters came aboard, with members such as Jaytrajik, ET80, and Lork. Lork has always been one of the strongest members of this forum, and is one of the posters that I always make a point to see what he has written. In addition to being extremely wise about the Texans, he is very creative and has developed a few sigs for myself.

Congratulations on this award, Lork. You remain one of the strongest posters on this board, and are well-deserving of this award.

My apologies, Dangerous59, for not getting back to you right away.
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to everyone who won. I can only say good things about all of you guys, you are all intelligent football fans. That was also a great post Apollo, this website can be a great escape for some of us and I love your posts just as much as I love LORK's, ET's, MSE's, Kenney's and AX2's posts. Again congratulations to everyone who got an award.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
TexBo6247

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all of you.

Props to Lork for the sig
goose85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

Oh, oh, oh hold on now...hold on, hold on, HOLD ON!

How the heck didn't I win these awards!? I mean...I'm EliteTexan80! Do you KNOW who I am! I am who I am dammit! I am who you THINK I am! That is the one known as ET80!

This better get betta, or it's gonna get A LOT worse!

...try not to freak out...it's all in fun. (I'm not THAT much of an egomaniac) Congrats to mse, Blaze, kenney and Ax2!

I lol'd. Congrats guys.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can not thank you guys enough for voting for me.

I'm not gonna lie, I knew I was gonna win from getting the results (I still feel incredibly embarrassed that I didn't get this done) but just reading the write-up that Dangerous gave me was pretty inspiring. I love being part of this board, and there is no better relief from not being home for 3 days, coming home, knowing I should be doing homework and gettin me some FF. I love reading almost all of ya'lls post, and to think that ya'll chose me for an award is an honor.

Sometimes i'll tell stupid stories, or maybe I'll even have a little to add for something that is actually on topic (rarely Laughing). But I do try to get as much of my real-life football experience in here as possible.

Just as an example of how FF helps me, my "intriguing new girl" broke up with me the other day, and after not being home for a couple days getting to come home to a nice write-up about how valued a member I am here is quite amazing.

Thank ya'll for everything you have meant to me over the past, almost a year now, and I couldn't do it without you guys.

Go Texans, but more than that, GO TEXANS NATION!
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to everyone that won!
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous59 wrote:
P.S- (What a great year for Baylor. We could have the top overall pick, we had the best freshman QB, we had the best host for the Texans Nation Awards, and now we have the best overall poster in the forum. Sic 'em Bears.)

Look up your facts before you start spouting nonsense. Russell Wilson > Robert Griffin. End of story.

Despite that, very well put on all the awards. Great job.

Sig by matthouston91
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_dude3608 wrote:
CAS22 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Guys, a huge thanks to everyone who voted for me, I really didn't expect it. And thanks to secret balloting, I won't shoot those who didn't. Wink We have a ton of knowledgeable young posters on the forum, and most of them have a higher post count in half the time, lol. Marco, Jacoby's Homey, and Houston Aggies (and I'm sure there are a few others) represent the forum very well for young guys. I dare say, we have the best group of young guns on the site. Keep it coming, y'all. And overall, I think we have one of the best groups of posters there is, on any forum. Every one of us is knowledgeable enough to hold their own in any debate, and we can all get some quality advice on which clubs are best from Blaze and ET, and how to pour concrete when it's 30 below from ax2, along with a few other things. This is my distant, on-line family.

And D59, I doubt I'll go to Baylor, but thanks for the writeup. You did a great job.

And ET, you might want to find a more recent pic of Kanye. He should be wearing those huge Buddy Holly-style glasses...

thanks 'Pike Laughing
I'm hurt

And there they are, zoning in like gold diggers on L'il Wayne. Sorry guys, I KNEW I was forgetting some people.

And Apollo, great speech. You know, most of the time, when we talk over the computer, we don't think of posters as people. That's one reason why so much pure crap is thrown out on the web. But in this forum, we truly think of posters as what they are: people just like us, not just fans of the same team, but human beings that like females, have jobs that suck (or not), and countless spare hours where they should be doing something more worthwhile. This is as close to a family as you can get, without ever actually meeting someone. Some of the older guys have given us younger guys relationship advice, some of us younger guys have posted some ridiculous stuff that made everyone laugh, and everyone of us has received some benefit from being on this site way too much. I'm proud to have y'all as brothers-in-arms here in Texans Nation.

Sig by matthouston91
TexansFan80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all the award winners, they were much deserved

^LORK 88^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: