Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Hunter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Jason Hunter Reply with quote

Studying our roster, looking at the players at the positions we fill our mocks with, this young man has really stood out. Might he be putting it together and a candidate for a breakout 2009?

His measurables (draft day):
Ht: 6'4 1/8"
Wt: 232
40: 4.54
SS: 4.23
3C: 6.93
VJ: 35"
BJ: 10'2"
Reps: 22

Since then he has gained 40lbs in an effort to be an every down contributer, though it has robbed him slightly of his greatest asset, his speed. The closest draft day player comparison via measurables is Robert Mathis, another guy that was very undersized and very quick, that lacked an impressive vert. KGB is another comparison, though Hunter has a little bit better footspeed than KGB had. Other than that their measurables are quite similar. With his bulking up to a more NFL friendly size, he definitely has the physical ability to succeed, losing 10-15 lbs would only help to regain his excellent speed, and would suit him well at the OLB position.

Hunter was productive at 1AA Appalachian State, with 24 sacks, 9 pd's, 5 FF's, 5 FR's, 1 int, 186 tckl, and 38.5 TFL's, including 13 sacks and 24.5 TFL's his senior season.

Thus far in GB Jason has primarily been a ST player, having a banner 2007 year with more ST tackles than has been recorded in GB since the 80's. However in 2008 he found his way onto the field on defense, and finished the year with two strong games.

In 2008 he played less than 100 total defensive snaps, and was 3rd on the team in pressures per snap among defensive lineman, with one every 29.7 snaps. Jenkins led with 1 every 11.6 snaps, Kamp had one every 20.1 snaps. Thompson was 4th with one every 38.7 snaps. KGB averaged one every 9 snaps in 2007.

Jason had a sack in each of the last two games of the year. His success came late in the season. Generally players like him will lose weight over the coarse of a long season, so it is not a stretch to say that he was playing lighter and faster at the end of the season when his successes occurred. He also had a sack in the first preseason game. It is a very good omen for the future to finish the season strong as he did.

With each player an the team new to the system and all starting spots up for grabs, for both rookies and veterans, it is not a stretch to picture Jason as our opening day starter across the field from Kampman at OLB. Incidentally he wears #57, the only one of our defensive ends to wear a linebacker number. Jason could very well be a young man that the light bulb came on for last season, which has gone somewhat unnoticed.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!

Last edited by Waldo on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr Green

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would be a perfect depth 3-4 OLB. He is also a key special teams player.

I rate him much more highly than Poppinga. I hope no-one picks him up during free agency.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really wonder who will all make the roster when we play our first regular season game. i hope its all the right guys, a new defense means a new player can fit that we dont evenknow about.

Hunter could be that guy, what a perfect name he's got as well...

The Hunter is coming for you Twisted Evil

packerbacker87,Best Sig on FF!
Caerus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to see how he can play at OLB, James Harrison, I believe, had a similar upbringing into the league, starting as an undrafted free agent.

Maybe this switch to a 3-4 was all Hunter needed to get onto the field and get playing time, who knows. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot if he shows that he can do it during TC.

BSTARS

msmre on April 23, 2005 wrote:
Rodgers will be the future of the Packers and will prove to be a great pick.
phillipraz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always liked hunter since he's been on the team. i think he adds quality depth. and i agree, i would like him to get a shot at starting.
Beast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppinga, Thompson and Hunter are the reasons I'm not sure the Packers need to draft an OLB high because I think one of them really could do very well starting at OLB.
Waldo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was looking over the game logs at his 2 sacks....

His first, against Chi, occurred on 3rd and long with Chicago right on the edge of field goal range. His sack probably prevented a field goal.

His second, against Det, also occurred on 3rd and long, forcing a punt.

Lost in the doldrums of the end of a bad season, his final two games went quite unnoticed. He might be putting it together as a pass rusher.

Often with sacks, a guy can struggle for a while, then a light bulb comes on and the floodgates open. That is exactly what happened with KGB, who had 1.5 sacks his rookie year, including one his final game, the next season he had more than 10.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
packfan4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Moses, a 4.54? He'll probably lose 10-15 lbs this offseason and get down to around 255-260. I'm so excited to see how guys like Hunter, Malone, Thompson and Harrell play in the 3-4.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought he wouldn't be anything more than a ST stud unless he played in a 3-4 defense. Then the coaching staff had him put on more weight. He was around 270 at one point last year IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!!! Very Happy
swift

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a big fan of Jason Hunter. You always have to pull for the un-drafted late round guys.

Jason Hunter's performance on special teams took a hit last year because he was playing at 275 to 285 lbs. If he does indeed get back to the 255-260 lbs range to play linebacker he will also be much more relevant on special teams. I think he would be fun to watch in the 3-4 and it will probably fit his playing style. His burst and quickness is terrific for a bigger guy. You just hope he is decent in pass coverage because that could be the difference between him being on the field or not.

"Live by Brett & die by Brett."RIP '09 Vikes!
View my Gallery: http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329378
SDN40

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another reason that I think TT goes trenches with #9 which is fine with me.

Can a rookie like Brown or Maybin even compete with the NFL experience and physical maturity of what is already on the roster ? Yes the upside would be greater, but how long would it take ?
Mr Green

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When everyone is talking about the need for OLB, i just feel that we overlook the players we already have on our roster. Hunter and Thompson are two guys who are a perfect fit for the 3-4. Their size and athleticism is enough to make me drool. I would wager that one of them will become a starter at ROLB opposite Kampman. The rookie will be sitting patiently behind them learning till he gets the opportunity to showcase his talents.

Hunter played RDE so i assume he will be penciled in at ROLB. Thompson apparently played at RDE most of the time in college so he could make the transition there.

From packers.com on Thompson:
Quote:
Was asked to play various roles at Wake Forest, dropping back into coverage and playing the run in addition to rushing the passer

From Wiki:
Quote:
As a true freshman in 2004 he started three of the 11 games at right defensive end.

Thompson started his first 8 games of his 2005 sophomore campaign at right defensive end

During his Junior season, Thompson played in 14 games at right defensive end

Poppinga will be 30 when the season starts. He supposed to be a DE but he played mostly played at 4-3 OLB because of his speed, high energy and ability to rush the passer. Unfortunately he only got 3 sacks in his entire packers career. He's supposed to be every weak in coverage too. When i look at him i think he never lived up to his ability, but apparently everyone likes him cos he's a great guy, underperformed but a great guy nonetheless. He isnt worth the $4m cap space and i feel that Hunter and Thompson will offer the same level of production for much less so that $4m could be better off invested elsewhere. He is 30 after all and is not going to suddenly improve. When we draft an OLB, there's only room for maybe 4 OLB's in the 53 man roster and he's going to be the odd man out.....its just my gut feeling.
jmoney

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly has the tools. If he weighs around 255 I think he could be a very solid pass rushing OLB.

Hunter, Thompson, and Poppinga is a pretty good competition for the OLB spot opposite Kampman. I wouldn't mind getting someone early in the draft, but if that doesn't happen, I think the position will be just fine.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether he starts or not he is going to be one of the players that will be fun to watch in the pre-season. I just don't think that he is going to beat Kampman or an early draft pick. If its a later pick then maybe he has a chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: