Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Connor Barwin and why the Pats should draft him
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Connor Barwin and why the Pats should draft him Reply with quote

Connor Barwin
Defensive End, Cincinnati

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79CJdrxZbo

Height: 6'4
Weight: 256
40 Yrd Dash: 4.66
Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 40 1/2*
Broad Jump: 10'08"*
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18*
3-Cone Drill: 6.87*
*Best among defensive linemen at combine

With the recent trade of Mike Vrabel, OLB is a position that is expected to be focused on in the draft. If the Patriots are interested in filling Mike Vrabel's versitile shoes, they have to look no further than Connor Barwin.
Barwin originally went to Cincinnati as a tight end, where he played during his freshman, sophomore, and junior years. Before his senior year, however, he made a switch to the opposite side of the ball, to defensive end. In his first and only year as a defensive end, he totaled 15.5 TFL, 11 Sacks, and 7 PDs, plus 3 blocked punts.

Yeah, he was great in college. But why should the Patriots draft him?
Barwin has been called very intelligent with very good work ethic. As you can see from the combine statistics above, he is a very rare athlete. His NFL.com profile says that he has the speed of a tight end and the mentality of a defender. However, the real reason I think he is a perfect fit for the Patriots is his versatility. He played tight end for 3 years at Cincinnati, plus in goalline formations his senior year. He played defensive end his senior year. He would play OLB for the Pats. And he's a great special teams player. He sounds exactly like the linebacker that he would be replacing.

Before the combine, there were questions about his speed, but he outran all big-name LBs other than Aaron Curry in the 40 yard dash. His 20 yard shuttle was faster than all but one linebacker and tied with Clay Matthews.

Other than concerns about his speed, only Barwin's experience and level of competition are questionable. These are the reasons he will likely last to the 23rd pick, if not the 34th. However, if Bill Belichick decides that Barwin is the answer at OLB, I trust Bill to make sure he gets him. At least in my opinion, there is not an OLB in the draft with more upside.

To be honest, I wrote this for a different forum and was going to post it in the draft thread, but I guess it deserves a new thread now. Discuss my writeup and your opinion of Barwin and when you think he should be taken. Smile
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he does compare very favorably to Vrabel. I want him!!! I think we could go as high as the #34 to get him.

Mack on the sig
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is what I'm talking about.
Terrific post, I needed a better idea about who this guy was, and why we were starting to hear buzz about him!

Great job!

I'm still an Aaron Maybin guy myself, but the more I read and learn, the more intriguing Barwin is sounding!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hollywood14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barwin is definitely a guy that the Patriots will watch over on draft day. And good job on the write-up by the way! The versatility he would bring to this team is second to none in this draft. The best thing about the whole Barwin situation is that we could draft him at 34. Why at 34? Well because the teams that are remaining after we initially pick do not have a need at the position.

Jgoldiscool on the sig
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Rab because he was one of the first if not the first guy to bring up Barwin.

Only two problems with Barwin is we really havent seen him drop back even though he is athletic enough to do it and he needs to work on his technique.

Other than that I love the guy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollywood14 wrote:
Barwin is definitely a guy that the Patriots will watch over on draft day. And good job on the write-up by the way! The versatility he would bring to this team is second to none in this draft. The best thing about the whole Barwin situation is that we could draft him at 34. Why at 34? Well because the teams that are remaining after we initially pick do not have a need at the position.

Miami kinda does, so does Baltimore.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE BARWIN.

I've been talking him up for a while now, and I truly think he could be the next great 3-4 OLB for us.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Shockwave732

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
Kudos to Rab because he was one of the first if not the first guy to bring up Barwin.

Only two problems with Barwin is we really havent seen him drop back even though he is athletic enough to do it and he needs to work on his technique.

I feel that even if he does not have the coverage skills at the present time, he will develop rapidly since he has experience at TE for a majority of his football years.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockwave732 wrote:
GoldenboyGB wrote:

I feel that even if he does not have the coverage skills at the present time, he will develop rapidly since he has experience at TE for a majority of his football years.

That's a great point. I'm pretty sold on Barwin. Sign me up for the bandwagon.

ELRammy
tj177mmi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:

The technique thing can be worked, and thats the great thing with Barwin. I noted it in my mock draft that Barwin is still very raw as a pass rusher and can be molded pretty easily.

I'm not very high on Maybin. Just seems like he has a lack of discipline (on the field) and tries to jump the snap instead of using technique to beat the OL.
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj177mmi wrote:
GoldenboyGB wrote:

The technique thing can be worked, and thats the great thing with Barwin. I noted it in my mock draft that Barwin is still very raw as a pass rusher and can be molded pretty easily.

I'm not very high on Maybin. Just seems like he has a lack of discipline (on the field) and tries to jump the snap instead of using technique to beat the OL.

Yeah I have talked about the technique and how mature Barwin is. Hes fine in that department but its something to keep an eye on. The fact he used his athletic ability and still go to the QB impresses the hell out of me.

I dont like Maybin whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=284831

There's Rab's thread from two months ago. There's a lot more information about Barwin, and down a few posts is a pretty awesome picture of him playing basketball Razz
Darth Jay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me go ahead and jump on board this bandwagon. I'm not going to lie, I saw everyone here frothing at the mouth over him and said to myself "great, another little guy for the message board folk to build up." But y'all seem to have nailed it.

I think this dudes stock is on the rise big time to the point where we may have to use a first on him. He had a huge week at the combine from everything I've read. I think the Vrabel comparison seems legit and even though I think he may slip into the first, I am kind of hoping we can use our second or third 2nd rounder on him. We'll see, though. He's definitely a very intriguing prospect.

So consider this thread Darth Jay Approved. Cool
TheManChild16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Connor Barwin and why the Pats should draft him Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

Other than concerns about his speed, only Barwin's experience and level of competition are questionable. These are the reasons he will likely last to the 23rd pick, if not the 34th. However, if Bill Belichick decides that Barwin is the answer at OLB, I trust Bill to make sure he gets him. At least in my opinion, there is not an OLB in the draft with more upside.
taken. Smile

Good write up. The key is if BB does want him, he could be the guy at 23. I don't see a big reward for taking another player at 23 and gambling he's still there at 34. With Vrabel gone and with depth at our other position needs (WR DB, OL ) this should be the target at 23.

I think questions about his speed were answered at the combine.
SoxNats07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of him playing tight end for us too if we get him or would he solely be a DE?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: