You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1 of the reasons Shanahan was fired?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: 1 of the reasons Shanahan was fired? Reply with quote

Broncos | Practice facility one reason for Shanahan firing
Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:08:33 -0800

Woody Paige, of The Denver Post, reports one of the reasons Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired head coach Mike Shanahan was Shanahan asked Bowlen to build a new practice facility to replace the practice facility that is named after Bowlen's father, and Bowlen declined the request, according to two sources.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Is there something wrong with naming the new facility after him as well?
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Bowlen is currently on power grab not seen the early 1930s Soviet Union. For a further discussion on what Bowlen has been up to recently, see the Broncos forum here and here.

In the end I think Bowlen replaced Shanahan because he wanted someone he could control. It's a lot easier to control a 32 year old with less than 10 years in the NFL than it is control a 56 year old coach/GM with 2 Superbowl rings and punched ticket to the Hall of Fame.

Bowlen, being the owner, seems to want to have a say in everything, including personnel (and who knows, maybe play calling as well), in the same vein as Al Davis and Jerry Jones. After all, it's been such a recipe for success in Dallas and Oakland, why not try it in Denver?

As hard as it is for me to admit, the Broncos have taken a major turn for the worse these past 6 weeks.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it odd to say the least that because your coach wants a newer practice facility that helps the team it was one of the reasons he lost his job. Seems like the owner is mad at everyone these days. Thanks for replying because I wasn't exactly sure this was true but I guess it is. Shocked
FlappinFins83

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
I found it odd to say the least that because your coach wants a newer practice facility that helps the team it was one of the reasons he lost his job. Seems like the owner is mad at everyone these days. Thanks for replying because I wasn't exactly sure this was true but I guess it is. Shocked

Pretty ridiculous if this is true. Shanahan is and will always be the biggest name in Denver Broncos football, not named Elway, and so because he wants a new facility, he gets s***-canned??? Rolling Eyes
Vikings4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Starts the he said she said part of the firing Rolling Eyes
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. What is McDaniels getting himself into?

I really love Shanahan, though. I can't wait for him to start coaching again next year.

ELRammy
BucsWin09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think thats a very good reason to fire him if thats the case. I think his message grew old and players didnt listen to him

Thanks to eggybucsfan31 for the sig
I believe in Josh Freeman! In Freeman We Trust
97Den98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Message Reply with quote

I agree. That, and he had too much control. He wouldn't let go of some of his power. That is why he left.
Broncos_OTM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Pat Bowlen is currently on power grab not seen the early 1930s Soviet Union. For a further discussion on what Bowlen has been up to recently, see the Broncos forum here and here.

In the end I think Bowlen replaced Shanahan because he wanted someone he could control. It's a lot easier to control a 32 year old with less than 10 years in the NFL than it is control a 56 year old coach/GM with 2 Superbowl rings and punched ticket to the Hall of Fame.

Bowlen, being the owner, seems to want to have a say in everything, including personnel (and who knows, maybe play calling as well), in the same vein as Al Davis and Jerry Jones. After all, it's been such a recipe for success in Dallas and Oakland, why not try it in Denver?

As hard as it is for me to admit, the Broncos have taken a major turn for the worse these past 6 weeks.
It's kind of hard to take power away from someone when you own the team. I think it was very wise of Pat to breathe new life into this team. We were stagnit i think this is a promesing future of this org. i like everything that has taken place. except we need to bring in a PROVEN talent scout. everything else is just

Pat wanted everyone to be on page when we selected FA's To our Drafting if Bowlen surrounds him with a guy that is a proven football adviser why not?

Shanny and old crew proved a few things

* They could not evaluate Pro Talent in FA
* Could not evaluate College talent

In the end he failed. He lost alot of respect in the leauge

Last edited by Broncos_OTM on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Broncos_OTM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BucsWin09 wrote:
I dont think thats a very good reason to fire him if thats the case. I think his message grew old and players didnt listen to him
Winner Winner chicken dinner
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that probably irked Bowlen considering he went out of the way a few years earlier and built Shanahan a state of the art practice facility.

Shanahan got canned, among other reasons, because he wouldn't fire Bob Slowik, because this team had an epic collapse when we should have been playoff bound, because Shanahan has wasted millions of Bowlen's money on garbage FAs and poor draft picks.

His message got stale and he was a poor motivator. Some people need to stop looking so unobjectively at this. Shanahan wasn't going to be around forever. I think Bowlen saw that the past ten years haven't been fruitful for this team. Regular season W/L means nothing. One playoff win, nothing without Elway, and a horrible defense, all attributable to Shanny.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos_OTM wrote:

We had some bad drafts, I'm not going to deny that. But the last three years have netted us Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Tony Scheffler, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Marcus Thomas, Ryan Clady, Peyton Hillis and Eddie Royal.

Hard to say Shanahan & Co couldn't evaluate college talent when the last 3 drafts brought in those players.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
iMaGiNe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Sad

I don't see how asking for a new practice facility is case for firing... I think AAA is right... it's just a control issue
bdog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Broncos_OTM wrote:

We had some bad drafts, I'm not going to deny that. But the last three years have netted us Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Tony Scheffler, Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris, Marcus Thomas, Ryan Clady, Peyton Hillis and Eddie Royal.

Hard to say Shanahan & Co couldn't evaluate college talent when the last 3 drafts brought in those players.

That is true but those guys are mainly offensive guys. We have to be the worst team in the league when it comes to drafting defensive players. Bowlen must think since the offense is set he can change our staff and Front Office and hope the people he is bringing in can do what Shanny & Co couldn't, which is drafting good defensive players.
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
Now if they tell J Roc to stay away they may have a chance to win the game.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Broncos_OTM wrote:

I seem to remember you calling for Shanny's head not too long ago and jumping on the Cowher bandwagon. So...what happened?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: