You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears cut ties with Mike Brown

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NFCNORTHBEAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Bears cut ties with Mike Brown Reply with quote

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1430703,CST-SPT-bear14.article

Quote:
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

Mike Brown, the heart and soul of the Bears for the last nine seasons, was informed Friday that the team will not make him a contract offer.

Injuries knocked Brown out of 43 games from 2004 through 2007, and the decision comes as no surprise after general manager Jerry Angelo admitted he was ready to move on without Brown a year ago. The Bears must find at least one safety in free agency or the draft.

Bears fans saw this coming a mile away. Good luck Brown, I just wish you would've retired a Bear. Not really liking this move by Angelo just for that reason, but hey you know what they say "nothing personal just business".

2010 NFC NORTH CHAMPS!!!!!!!
RBrown86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown used to be a very good player before injuries derailed his career. He is a strong vocal leader who is essential to the team in a locker room. Although he is of old age, he certainly can be useful to any team and need of a safety. However, he comes with many risks. But, I certainly wouldn't mind his veteran leadership. Some other team should give him a full-fledged oportunity.

Why am I writing this? It's a boring Saturday morning Laughing
Jordan_34

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes one of my all-time favorite players Sad

We'll miss ya Brownie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Brown would have been talked about as one of the best safeties in the game if only he wasn't made of glass. I always said there was a huge difference between the Bears defense when Brown is in, or Brown is out. I also used to make the argument that Mike Brown was more important to the Bears defense than Brian Urlacher. Unfortunately, that was before the injuries, and probably age, took their toll on him. I believe the statistic, previously to this season, was that since 2004 the Bears had not lost a game that Mike Brown started. That's impressive.

Adopt-A-Titan 2016: Mike Mularkey, the most misunderstood coach in NFL history. Also Ryan Succop, I guess.
seacards12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear it. Whenever I thought of the Bears D, Brown's name always came up first.

The Hawks will take a look at him in FA.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seacards12 wrote:
Sad to hear it. Whenever I thought of the Bears D, Brown's name always came up first.

Urlacher? Confused
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
seacards12 wrote:

Urlacher? Confused

Seeing as how Urlacher is still under contract, and Brown's now a free agent, and we're talking about Brown, I'd say he's referring to Brown.

But that's just the sense I get.

yes
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
seacards12 wrote:

Urlacher? Confused

Seeing as how Urlacher is still under contract, and Brown's now a free agent, and we're talking about Brown, I'd say he's referring to Brown.

But that's just the sense I get.

I know who he was reffering to, I read the post. He said "Whenever he thought of the Bears D, Brown's name came up first" And I basically said, what about Urlacher.
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even thought he was having a solid season for the Bears, he should probably should consider retirement. He hasn't been healthy the last 5 years, and I think his health and body should be more important to him, then Football.
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles $5$ wrote:
Even thought he was having a solid season for the Bears, he should probably should consider retirement. He hasn't been healthy the last 5 years, and I think his health and body should be more important to him, then Football.

He'd be a great Secondary coach for the Bears if and when he retires.
NFCNORTHBEAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiSportsFan wrote:
Eagles $5$ wrote:

He'd be a great Secondary coach for the Bears if and when he retires.

We could only hope. His knowledge at the position is priceless & would go a long ways for us or anybody as a DB coach.

2010 NFC NORTH CHAMPS!!!!!!!
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the fact that ther is no longer much of a distinction between FS and SS in the Tampa 2, Mike Brown will almost certainly be on the Vikings list for potential short term safeties.

Even though he was and always will be a Bear, I've always liked Mike Brown and liked seeing him succeed. It's just too bad his injuries held him back from being a consistent top tier safety year in, year out.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the injuries I always thought he was the perfect Safety for the Bears.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
Other than the injuries I always thought he was the perfect Safety for the Bears.

He was the perfect safety for alot of teams.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: