You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Santonio Holmes fined $10,000 for post-touchdown celebration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobBrown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ_Titans wrote:
BobBrown wrote:
TJ_Titans wrote:
BobBrown wrote:
I think that a very important fact is being overlooked here.

The rules existed before the game...Holmes was responsible to know them and he chose to break them.

Whether the rule is "stupid" or "wrong" does not change the fact that Holmes blatantly broke the rule.

What has also been glossed over in this thread is that Holmes did not "win" the SB at the time...there were still 35 seconds left in the game.

Many posters seem to think the fine was unjustified or that Holmes shouldn't care about paying it...but nobody appears to be explaining why the rule is "stupid" or advocating for changing it.

It does appear that some believe that exceptions should be made to the rules for mitigating circumstances...and I agree with that...but what were the mitigating circumstances?

Its sad the rule changed due to certain individuals who took celebration out of hand. Seriously Holmes celebration was not even close to over doing it compared to those of Chad aka Ocho or TO. How does one determine if an individual is over doing it would be the million dollar question.

It is not a question of "over doing it" it is a question of "were the rules followed or not".

Think of any rule...let's say "cheating" on a test...one person glances quickly at the person sitting at the next desk an copies a few answers...another person steals the answer key and memorizes the correct answers...one person "over did it", but BOTH people cheated and broke the rule.

BTW...

Quote:

The rulesmakers also outlawed using the ball as a prop, adding it to the "foreign or extraneous objects that are not part of the uniform."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062

Problem with this is, celebrating a TD has nothing to do with cheating. We used to have no problems with TD celebration till it was over done by certain individuals.

Besides when has TD celebration effected an outcome of a game before it was ruled a penalty if overdone? I don't agree all kinds of celebrations should be allowed, like I said determining which type of TDs celebrations should be allowed is no easy feat.

My personal opinion is that these "celebration" rules began when the NFL saw that the public wanted to see the celebrations more than the commercials...that cuts in to the NFLís pocketbook...so...get it?

Pre-SB Championships vs SB Championships thread
BobBrown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROK wrote:
Thanks Bob.

I can understand having rules for celebrations but it's a shame they are so hard on them as they are right now. Like Wes Welker's snow angel, that was cool.

You're welcome...and welcome to the forum!!! Very Happy

Pre-SB Championships vs SB Championships thread
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't going to penalize him/his team during the game (when it matters) why do this now?
atown703

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
If you aren't going to penalize him/his team during the game (when it matters) why do this now?

yeah isn't it a little late?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bunch of BS... There is a reason they call it the (nfl) no fun league!

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TJ_Titans

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobBrown wrote:
TJ_Titans wrote:
BobBrown wrote:
TJ_Titans wrote:
BobBrown wrote:
I think that a very important fact is being overlooked here.

The rules existed before the game...Holmes was responsible to know them and he chose to break them.

Whether the rule is "stupid" or "wrong" does not change the fact that Holmes blatantly broke the rule.

What has also been glossed over in this thread is that Holmes did not "win" the SB at the time...there were still 35 seconds left in the game.

Many posters seem to think the fine was unjustified or that Holmes shouldn't care about paying it...but nobody appears to be explaining why the rule is "stupid" or advocating for changing it.

It does appear that some believe that exceptions should be made to the rules for mitigating circumstances...and I agree with that...but what were the mitigating circumstances?

Its sad the rule changed due to certain individuals who took celebration out of hand. Seriously Holmes celebration was not even close to over doing it compared to those of Chad aka Ocho or TO. How does one determine if an individual is over doing it would be the million dollar question.

It is not a question of "over doing it" it is a question of "were the rules followed or not".

Think of any rule...let's say "cheating" on a test...one person glances quickly at the person sitting at the next desk an copies a few answers...another person steals the answer key and memorizes the correct answers...one person "over did it", but BOTH people cheated and broke the rule.

BTW...

Quote:

The rulesmakers also outlawed using the ball as a prop, adding it to the "foreign or extraneous objects that are not part of the uniform."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062

Problem with this is, celebrating a TD has nothing to do with cheating. We used to have no problems with TD celebration till it was over done by certain individuals.

Besides when has TD celebration effected an outcome of a game before it was ruled a penalty if overdone? I don't agree all kinds of celebrations should be allowed, like I said determining which type of TDs celebrations should be allowed is no easy feat.

My personal opinion is that these "celebration" rules began when the NFL saw that the public wanted to see the celebrations more than the commercials...that cuts in to the NFLís pocketbook...so...get it?

Plus fining the players for excessive celebration to fatten the already inflated pockets. Gotta love it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Jackson was flagged for excessive celebration in the divisional round for putting his finger up to his lips after a touchdown catch. I'd say that a 10,000 dollar fine is getting off light when you consider that in in-game flag could change the momentum of the game itself. It's all ridiculous, they should get rid of the fines penalties for celebrations all together.
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atown703 wrote:
IR0NM1KE wrote:

Because the call was missed by the refs since the celebration was so long after the play and they were setting up for the next play. The rule is stupid, but rules are rules, you gotta fallow them.

The only good thing is, atleast the NFL is being consistant with fining players for TD celebrations Confused Wink

Jamison. on the sig
Giov41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO SICK of Rodger Goodell. This guy inspires all these great penalties to be fined....Remember when Randy Moss mooned the Green Bay crowd? Dude, if he did that today, the guy would get friggin EXECUTED MAN!
ziggy19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
atown703 wrote:
IR0NM1KE wrote:

Because the call was missed by the refs since the celebration was so long after the play and they were setting up for the next play. The rule is stupid, but rules are rules, you gotta fallow them.

The only good thing is, atleast the NFL is being consistant with fining players for TD celebrations Confused Wink

but failing to penalize them the 15 yds which in this case could have proved much more costly.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: