You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell to take pay cut amid NFL drive to cut costs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InTressleWeTrst

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007 wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
Smart PR move and smart move overall. See, Bud Selig? Now, follow suit!

agreed on that one,
Baseball all in all is dumb, and after that A-Roid thing, im starting to think its all fake. I wouldnt be surprised to hear the next great player tested positive a few years ago Rolling Eyes

right, cause that is great publicity for baseball

mistakebytehlak wrote:

no one will break the bonds of ITWT and I's e-love.
mudachains

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he should have taken that pay cut prior to the NFL laying off all those employees right before Christmas and saved some jobs.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
iMaGiNe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good publicity. I guess.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed Green 93 wrote:
Just a PR move.

He's taking a pay check from 11 million to 8 million. Wow, big deal.

It is a big deal.
You ask one person making around the same salary if losing 3 million annually isn't significant.
Maybe not in terms of their quality of living, but nobody likes losing that kind of money.

I've always liked Goodell, I just absolutely hate his stance on the fines. The most ridiculous I've ever seen was Chad Greenway's fine for a missed facemask call - that really crossed the line. There's been a few others (i.e. the "leg whip").

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
bigmikenash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job commish.now next on the crack back list should be a rookie salary cap......
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone act like $3 million is chump change?
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
Bleed Green 93 wrote:
Just a PR move.

It is a big deal.
You ask one person making around the same salary if losing 3 million annually isn't significant.
Maybe not in terms of their quality of living, but nobody likes losing that kind of money.

People have no perspective at all when it comes to salaries. He's giving up 27% of his salary which is substantial. Ask a person making $60K to drop to $44K and see if they volunteer to do it for the good of their company. You spend what you earn in life so this will be a lifestyle adjustment for him. He won't be eating Ramen Noodles, but it's still significant.

If you don't believe this, please travel to Africa and ask a small child in Somalia what it would be like to earn $60,000 a year. They will look at an average American the way we look at Goodell. They would be disgusted at the fact that we wouldn't give up $16K and still be elated to be making $44K a year. It's the exact same thing as us making fun of Goodell for "only" giving up 27% of his salary.

If you're going to scoff at him, I would encourage you to donate 27% of your gross annual income to charity next year.

Adopt a Titan 2017: Derrick Henry and Mike Mularkey
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:
Bleed Green 93 wrote:
Just a PR move.

It is a big deal.

People have no perspective at all when it comes to salaries. He's giving up 27% of his salary which is substantial. Ask a person making $60K to drop to $44K and see if they volunteer to do it for the good of their company. You spend what you earn in life so this will be a lifestyle adjustment for him. He won't be eating Ramen Noodles, but it's still significant.

If you don't believe this, please travel to Africa and ask a small child in Somalia what it would be like to earn $60,000 a year. They will look at an average American the way we look at Goodell. They would be disgusted at the fact that we wouldn't give up $16K and still be elated to be making $44K a year. It's the exact same thing as us making fun of Goodell for "only" giving up 27% of his salary.

If you're going to scoff at him, I would encourage you to donate 27% of your gross annual income to charity next year.

I think the difference is smaller the higher your income is. Maybe he's losing some money, but the fact is... the guy is still a friggin' multi-millionaire. Yeah it hurts the wallet, but it's not as big of a dent as that 27% is to the guy making 60k.

Adopt-A-Titan 2016: Mike Mularkey, the most misunderstood coach in NFL history. Also Ryan Succop, I guess.
DoomsDayD75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:
Bleed Green 93 wrote:
Just a PR move.

It is a big deal.

Nice post, and I completely agree. Not a lot of wealthy people are willing to give up anything, much less $3 million per year. Just look at the people like the CitiBank CEO's, they take taxpayer money that is supposed to be lent out to businesses and give themselves huge bonuses and trips to Vegas.

So yeah, I think it's a really classy thing for him to do, and hope other business owners follow suit.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomsDayD75 wrote:
Just look at the people like the CitiBank CEO's, they take taxpayer money that is supposed to be lent out to businesses and give themselves huge bonuses and trips to Vegas.
Let's keep this discussion to football
Cutler06

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleed Green 93 wrote:
Just a PR move.

Yeah it is, how many jobs did that $3M save ??? ..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm not a Goodell fan, but I applaud this move Applause Applause Applause
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
I think the difference is smaller the higher your income is. Maybe he's losing some money, but the fact is... the guy is still a friggin' multi-millionaire. Yeah it hurts the wallet, but it's not as big of a dent as that 27% is to the guy making 60k.

It's possible Goodell was only living on 73% of his income and was investing the rest. But everyone I know - people who make $25K a year and people who make over 6 figures - spends what they earn. You buy the best house you can afford. You buy the best cars you can afford. So when you lose a quarter of your salary, you'll need to adjust your lifestyle. Again, Roger isn't going on food stamps or anything, but I think those of us living in America run the risk of looking mighty hypocritical by calling out millionaires when the rest of the world's poverty makes us look filthy rich as well.

Adopt a Titan 2017: Derrick Henry and Mike Mularkey
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:

It's possible Goodell was only living on 73% of his income and was investing the rest. But everyone I know - people who make $25K a year and people who make over 6 figures - spends what they earn. You buy the best house you can afford. You buy the best cars you can afford. So when you lose a quarter of your salary, you'll need to adjust your lifestyle. Again, Roger isn't going on food stamps or anything, but I think those of us living in America run the risk of looking mighty hypocritical by calling out millionaires when the rest of the world's poverty makes us look filthy rich as well.

When you're a college journalism student busting your tail to make rent, eating Hot Pockets for lunch and dinner everyday, I think you've got the right to call out a multi-millionaire.

Adopt-A-Titan 2016: Mike Mularkey, the most misunderstood coach in NFL history. Also Ryan Succop, I guess.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
falconzfan17 wrote:
I still hate him.

Agreed. Goodell is in the process of destroying the NFL. I'm glad that he did something classy for the NFL, but I mean... what's an extra mil here or there for the commissioner of the NFL? It's not like some guy getting paid 120,000 just dropped to 40,000 or anything. It just means Goodell won't get a gold-lined shark tank for his kitchen.

Yes, because excessive fines are clearly DESTROYING the league Rolling Eyes

The hatred for Goodell, not just criticism, but actual hatred, is one of the most inexplicable things I have ever seen.
SpacemanSpiff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
falconzfan17 wrote:
I still hate him.

Agreed. Goodell is in the process of destroying the NFL. I'm glad that he did something classy for the NFL, but I mean... what's an extra mil here or there for the commissioner of the NFL? It's not like some guy getting paid 120,000 just dropped to 40,000 or anything. It just means Goodell won't get a gold-lined shark tank for his kitchen.

Yes, because excessive fines are clearly DESTROYING the league Rolling Eyes

The hatred for Goodell, not just criticism, but actual hatred, is one of the most inexplicable things I have ever seen.

You're right. Destroying is too harsh of a word. But I definitely think it hurts the game. Football is a contact sport, man. This isn't golf. Oh no, you hit him too hard! I don't care if there was no helmet-to-helmet contact! (a.k.a. Reggie Nelson) Fines! You pushed down the QB after he threw a pass? Fines! A guy got hurt on incidental contact? (a.k.a. Boldin or McGahee) Fines, suspensions! Heaven help us that one of our offensive stars got injured!

Not to mention how much he chooses to fine people for fighting... I don't mind if Goodell's going to fine people for fighting, but did you know that he fined someone 2,500 dollars more for taunting than he did for 2 guys throwing punches at each other?

It's absolutely pathetic. The NFL talks about its glorious past all the time, glorifying players like Butkis, Lambert, Bednarik, Nitschke... but in today's NFL they wouldn't get paychecks, they'd be in debt.

I don't hate Goodell the person, I just think that as a commissioner, he's hurting the game.

When he lays off the fines and actually does something about rookie contracts and real problems with the business side of the NFL, like he should be doing (as opposed to policing on-the-field behavior) then I'll gain respect for him. Until then, Not talking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: