You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Cassel ACCEPTS franchise tender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickyG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Stafford is the truth. You all better stop hating Cool
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnieEdwards wrote:
Well....he's "proven" more than Matt Stafford has at this point. I mean, how many highly drafted quarterbacks have flopped and not even had half the production Matt Cassel has enjoyed ?? How many consecutive years has Detroit been drafting top 10 ?? I think it's time to make the higher percentage move and get the club moving in the right direction.

It's simply percentages and the "safer" move (the one that will help the team tomorrow) is Matt Cassel......

Why can't you understand this ?? Think like a general manage....not a fan.

This year will be #1 in consecutive years as they didnt draft in the top 10 last year. In fact it was #17 overall. Nice try though. Might want to do a little more homework on your posts.

AAL- Abdullah

Tigers suck. Thanks DD for never getting bull pen
Lionsforlife99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
ErnieEdwards wrote:
Well....he's "proven" more than Matt Stafford has at this point. I mean, how many highly drafted quarterbacks have flopped and not even had half the production Matt Cassel has enjoyed ?? How many consecutive years has Detroit been drafting top 10 ?? I think it's time to make the higher percentage move and get the club moving in the right direction.

It's simply percentages and the "safer" move (the one that will help the team tomorrow) is Matt Cassel......

This year will be #1 in consecutive years as they didnt draft in the top 10 last year. In fact it was #17 overall. Nice try though. Might want to do a little more homework on your posts.

pwned
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnieEdwards wrote:

Cassel has proven he can lead the most talented team in the NFL to.......absolutely nothing, not even the playoffs. So yes, the percentages are more in my favor drafting Stafford, because Cassel has already proven he is a bum.

Think more like an NFL scout, than a fan, you may come up with an understandable conclusion that is logic based.....
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
ErnieEdwards wrote:

Cassel has proven he can lead the most talented team in the NFL to.......absolutely nothing, not even the playoffs. So yes, the percentages are more in my favor drafting Stafford, because Cassel has already proven he is a bum.

Think more like an NFL scout, than a fan, you may come up with an understandable conclusion that is logic based.....

You are telling him to think more like a scout than a fan when you talk about Cassel in such generalized terms with no depth to your statements. Yeah calling him a "bum" who lead a team to "nothing" sure is a informative. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
ErnieEdwards wrote:

You are telling him to think more like a scout than a fan when you talk about Cassel in such generalized terms with no depth to your statements. Yeah calling him a "bum" who lead a team to "nothing" sure is a informative. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Rolling Eyes

That was the point. Laughing
finn54

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
I suspect that Cassel would get more than the Stafford would if the Lions give up a 1st plus for him.

The trade involving Matt Schaub equated to roughly a mid-first rounder IIRC. He got a contract of 6yrs, $48m. Derek Anderson, whose value was quoted as a first rounder, signed a 3yr $24m deal.

Jake Long, the 1st overall pick got a contract of 5yrs, $57.75m. So IMO if Stafford was chosen first overall by the Lions he'd get a bigger contract than Cassel (this would be assuming the trade involving Cassel equated to a mid-first).

Ron Jaworski thinks Cassel is worth a first rounder. | So does Steve Mariucci. | And Mike Lombardi has been gushing over him since mid-season. | Add Floyd Reese to that list.

IIRC, Anderson's price was quoted as a first rounder. Schaub's value was a first rounder. Feeley and Culpepper brought home the 35th and 51st picks respectively. I think we'll get a top 50 pick for Cassel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
ErnieEdwards wrote:

It was a rhetorical question, champ.....for dramatic effect because the Lions are terrible and have shown no signs of improving.

Try and deny that Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
ErnieEdwards wrote:

My conclusion IS logic based. You're trying to tell me that there's a greater chance of Matt Stafford being a quality NFL quarterback than a guy who's PROVEN that he can be a quality NFL quarterback, because he didn't lead the most banged up team in the NFL to the playoffs. Since when isn't 11-5 a solid record ??

Not to mention, the long term deal Cassel would most assuredly receive would likely cost the Lions LESS than if they were to draft Stafford #1......So let me break this down simply for those of whom, which "logic" has escaped...

Matt Cassel - most likely the cheaper option, who's PROVEN he has the ability to produce and win in the NFL

Matt Stafford - most likely the more expnsive option, who's PROVEN he has the ability to produce and win at the college level.

Hmmmm.....now, which player is more worthy of a gamble by my organization in an attempt to find a quality NFL quarterback ??

Honestly.....there's needs to be an entrance exam to join this forum......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
ErnieEdwards wrote:

You do realize that they were the first team in about 20 years to be 11-5 and not make the playoffs correct? And that the reason that they didn't win the division came down to the third tiebreaker? Not overall record or divisional record but I believe common freakin games.

People need to realize that this guy can play. No pats fan is saying that this guy is the next Tom Brady. But he can start in this league. He is not afraid of the big moment, improved drastically on pocket presence, and is a tough kid.

Its going to be interested once he is traded because there are so many people that are just simply giving all of his successes to the weapons and coaching he has. That set him up to do well certainly but he still had to do it. Please...watch a youtube video of his highlights or something. You don't realize how drastically he improved as the year went on.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VrabelCrable wrote:
You don't realize how drastically he improved as the year went on.

That's key. Most don't... Cassel was a top 5 quarterback over the last 8 games of the year.

I believe he had 14 TDs, and 4 INT's over that span, and a few absolutely monster games. He's got all the tools to be a top 10 player at his position year in and year out. He'll prove people wrong, just like he did this year.
finn54

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
That's key. Most don't... Cassel was a top 5 quarterback over the last 8 games of the year.

I believe he had 14 TDs, and 4 INT's over that span, and a few absolutely monster games. He's got all the tools to be a top 10 player at his position year in and year out. He'll prove people wrong, just like he did this year.

MCAS in the first 8 games: 156/233 (67.0%), 1362 yards, 5.8 YPA, 7 pass TDs, 7 INTs, (101 rush yards, 0 rush TDs), 1 fumble lost, 28 sacks, QB rating: 79.2

MCAS in the last 8 games: 171/283 (60.5%), 2127 yards, 7.5 YPA, 14 pass TDs, 4 INTs, (169 rush yards, 2 rush TDs), 3 fumbles lost, 19 sacks QB rating: 94.3

His progression was phenomenal. No other word for it. If he'd played 16 games at the pace of the last 8, his predicted statline would be: 342/566, 4592 all purpose yards, 32 total TDs, 14 turnovers, 38 sacks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel in Detroit would suck. They need more out of their QB then a game manager, in IMO they need a Favre/Palmer/hell even Vick. The city needs some sizzle and a playmaker other then Calvin Johnson.

Cassel in Minnesota would do great. Of course I could probably do well with that RB and defense.

He isn't the type of QB that will carry the offense. He will however play smart and help a team win. He won't be a Brady, Peyton or McNabb but he is a more athletic version of Chad "the Noodle" Pennington.

Like any QB in the right system and supporting cast he can be successful. Stick the golden boy Tom Brady on the 2006 Raiders and he will look just as bad as Walter and Tui did.

With the contract that Cassel get I would value him as a late 1st round selection.

Then again Feeley got a 2nd...
ErnieEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Cassel in Detroit would suck. They need more out of their QB then a game manager, in IMO they need a Favre/Palmer/hell even Vick. The city needs some sizzle and a playmaker other then Calvin Johnson.

Cassel in Minnesota would do great. Of course I could probably do well with that RB and defense.

He isn't the type of QB that will carry the offense. He will however play smart and help a team win. He won't be a Brady, Peyton or McNabb but he is a more athletic version of Chad "the Noodle" Pennington.

Like any QB in the right system and supporting cast he can be successful. Stick the golden boy Tom Brady on the 2006 Raiders and he will look just as bad as Walter and Tui did.

With the contract that Cassel get I would value him as a late 1st round selection.

So then, conversely, if you stick Walter and Tui on the 2007 Patriots they will look just a good as Brady ?? One hypothetical situation couldn't possibly exist unless the other ere true as well.....since you are saying Brady is essentially at the same skill level as Walter and Tui.

When are people going to accept the fact that quarterbacks are individuals. They aren't interchangable cyborgs with the same skills and abilities in which the system and players around them dictate the amount of production they have....

Putting Tom Brady in a comparative sentence with Andrew Walter and Marques Tuiasasopo an injustice of epic proportions......seriously.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnieEdwards wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

So then, conversely, if you stick Walter and Tui on the 2007 Patriots they will look just a good as Brady ?? One hypothetical situation couldn't possibly exist unless the other ere true as well.....since you are saying Brady is essentially at the same skill level as Walter and Tui.

When are people going to accept the fact that quarterbacks are individuals. They aren't interchangable cyborgs with the same skills and abilities in which the system and players around them dictate the amount of production they have....

Putting Tom Brady in a comparative sentence with Andrew Walter and Marques Tuiasasopo an injustice of epic proportions......seriously.

You're either conveniently twisting his statement to fit your argument or just utterly missing the point he was trying to make.

His contention with regard to the 2007 Raiders wasn't a slight at Tom but rather the situation that the Raiders put their quarterbacks in (i.e. a sieve of an offensive line, WR's that were giving Braylon Edwards a model for his 2008 play, and all while constantly in a position where they were having to play from behind with limited time because their defense couldn't stop the run to save their lives).

Tom Brady is a phenomenal QB, but - great as he may be - he can't do it all himself. Unless Tom is going to throw the ball, run down the field and catch his own pass, all while blocking 3-5 pass-rushers, and suit up on defense to stop the other team from scoring... ad nauseum... the QB is only one man and is dependent to some degree or another on the talent put in place around him. The 2007 Raiders simply did not field that talent around their QB's, thus even the greatest of greats would have likely been putting up paltry numbers/results and seeing more of the ground than the end-zone.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: