Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: XLIII - The Quest for No. 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins?
Arizona Cardinals
19%
 19%  [ 16 ]
Pittsburgh Steelers
66%
 66%  [ 55 ]
I dont care b/c the season premier of desperate housewives is on
14%
 14%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 83

spush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: GDT: XLIII - The Quest for No. 6 Reply with quote

When: Sunday February 1, 2009

Where: Raymond James Stadium...Tampa Bay, Florida

Quote:
Raymond James Stadium is a multi-purpose football stadium located in Tampa, Florida. It is home to the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers as well as the NCAA's South Florida Bulls football team. The stadium seats just over 66,000, and it is expandable to 75,000 for special events. The stadium also hosts the annual Outback Bowl on New Year's Day, and the Monster Jam monster truck event in mid–January. Super Bowl XXXV was held there on January 28, 2001 between the Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants. It will host Super Bowl XLIII in 2009.

Who:

VS

The Pittburgh Steelers 14-4
-offense - #22
-defense - #1

The Steelers enter their 3rd AFC Championship game in the last 5 years winning 8 of their last 9 games by playing a physical brand of defense and an offense that seems to be coming together at just the right time. Steelers are as healthy as they've been all year and still have several players left from the improbably Superbowl run of 2005.

The Arizona Cardinals 11-7
-offense- #4
-defense- #19

Head coach Ken Whisenhunt brings a hungry Cardinal team to Tampa Bay for their first Superbowl appearance and a franchise with the second longest championship drought in of the 4 major American sports extending 61 years. The Cardinals got where they are with a lethal pass attack and timely defense that has stepped up his game in the playoffs. The Cards are 3-3 in their last 6 with a group of unimpressive east coast showings until a beatdown of the Carolina Panthers in the divisional round

The Headlines

Steelers in search of 6th ring
In making their 7th trip to the SB since the 1974 season, the Steelers look to pull away with the NFL leading 6th Lombardi Trophy. We know of the past Steeler greats that include HOF'ers like Chuck Noll, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Swann/Stallworth, Mike Webster, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mean Joe, and Mel Blount.

The new question is, is it time for the present greats like Ben Roethlisberger, FastWillie Parker, Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton and Mike Tomlin etch their place in Rooney history grabbing No. 6

Does Whisenhunt have too much inside info on Steelers players
The last time the Steelers hoisted the Lombardi trophy, Cardinal coach Ken Whisenhunt was the OC for the Steelers. He knows these guys as well as he knows his own players. He knows their skillset, strengths, weaknesses, tendencies and everything short of what they had for dinner last night. He's also been inside the mind of the Great Dick Lebeau in team meetings to possibly have some insight on how he wants to attack.

Will Boldin be a distraction ??
I personally have mad respect for this guy and what he's accomplished, but his sideline tirade involving QB Kurt Warner and OC Todd Haley on the sidelines of the NFCCG prompted Boldin to quickly leave the field as soon as the game was over and didnt hang around the locker room for the celebration

The Key matchups

1 LeBeau vs. Kurt Warner

Everyone in Steeler Nation knows what the mad scientist, Dick Lebeau brings to the table. His exotic and diverse zone blitz schemes have fooled even the smartest QB and each week he seems to show something that hasnt come out all year. But the crafty Warner seems to have recognition skills second to none and seems to know exactly where to go with the ball most of the time

2. Ike Taylor/Bryant McFadden vs Anquan Boldin/Larry Fitzgerald

Cardinal stud WR Larry Fitzgerald has been on fire in the postseason breaking Jerry Rice's single season postseason mark for yardage with even one more game to go and topped it off with 3 first half TD's in the NFCCG. Its no secret what Boldin brings to the table also as a tough red zone threat who also has the speed and savviness to get open deep. Together, they form the best WR duo in the NFL.

The Steelers look to counter with the with NFL's best pass defense and a stout secondary led by 2 pretty good CB's. The theme will be to pressure Warner with NFL DPOY James Harrison to take some pressure off the corners

3. Kurt Warner vs Troy Polamalu

Another game of cat & mouse. Troy has the ability to confuse even the most confident offenses by showing all kinds of presnap looks. The man with the best closing speed in the NFL will look wreak havoc in the secondary to force timely turnovers.

Mike Tomlin Press Conference 1-20-09

Last edited by spush on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the season premier of desperate housewives is on

really? Shocked what will I do??!!! Wink

Great GDT Spush... amazing work as always!!!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
BigBen7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperate Housewives FTW! Me and my gf watch that Embarassed

But I didn't realize that the Cardinals Defense was ranked almost as low as the Steelers Offense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Facts from 2007 game:

Fitzgerald had 10 catches for over 100 yards, however he didn't record any scores.

Ben threw 2 INT and the Cardinals QBs didn't turn the ball over.

Santonio Holmes had 4 catches, 2 for TD he went over 100 yards.

Willie Parker did nothing against their defense run wise, recording 37 yards on 19 attempts with a long of 20 yards.

Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden led the team in tackles that day, because they hardly ran and always passed the ball.

Just thought you'd like to know.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29252&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG4
coleman397

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One match up that I think will be important is our TE (Miller) vs their defense. Celek absolutely exploited the Cards defense w/ 10 receptions, 80+ yards, & 2 TD's. I think Heath could do the same.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG3 wrote:

Fitzgerald had 10 catches for over 100 yards, however he didn't record any scores.

Willie Parker did nothing against their defense run wise, recording 37 yards on 19 attempts with a long of 20 yards.

Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden led the team in tackles that day, because they hardly ran and always passed the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29252&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG4

Also: Hines Ward missed the game for the Steelers.

The difference in the game was a 73 yard Steve Breaston PR for a touchdown. Game winning points given up by the special teams.
moose6870

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to be a homer, without even needing the super bowl, I have ridden the steelers to the win of my work poll.

Plain and simple, if we can get the lead, I think the cardinals will give up. They have jumped out in every game so far, and their confidence with the lead is incredible. Looking at their games when they were down early however, they didn't stand a chance in any of them.
tonysoprano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, congrats on making the Super Bowl. Secondly, I'm an NFC guy so I will be rooting for the Cardinals. Don't know who will win but a very interesting match up between the Cards O and your D.

Warner is a vet who can beat the blitz (unlike Flacco) and does not telegraph his passes (like Flacco) by locking on his receiver the whole play.

What's the status of Hines Ward...will he play? The Cardinals Defense has come on strong in the post season, reminds of the Colts a few years back when there D played below average in the season and really turned it up a notch come post-season.

Neither team gets to the Bowl with playing the number one seed from their conference. Cards beat the 5, 2 and 6 seed on way to Bowl while Steelers played the 4 and 6.

Bottom line, should be a good, close game.
Neumatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonysoprano wrote:

What's the status of Hines Ward...will he play? The Cardinals Defense has come on strong in the post season, reminds of the Colts a few years back when there D played below average in the season and really turned it up a notch come post-season.

too early to tell, im rather positive he has a sprained knee...My bet is he'll be playing. IDK if he'll be 100% but i have no doubt that he will play. Im just glad he didnt tear anything because that did look pretty bad.

Jamison. on the sig
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hines has 2 weeks to heal... Outside of DRC they have NO SPEED in there secondary... I like Holmes chances against there CB's

And SWEED'S..... IF HE LEARNS TO CATCH A BALL Brick wall
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonysoprano wrote:
First off, congrats on making the Super Bowl. Secondly, I'm an NFC guy so I will be rooting for the Cardinals. Don't know who will win but a very interesting match up between the Cards O and your D.

Warner is a vet who can beat the blitz (unlike Flacco) and does not telegraph his passes (like Flacco) by locking on his receiver the whole play.

Neither team gets to the Bowl with playing the number one seed from their conference. Cards beat the 5, 2 and 6 seed on way to Bowl while Steelers played the 4 and 6.

Bottom line, should be a good, close game.

Should be a good game. I doubt t he Steelers blitz much because they can create match-ups to get pressure with 5 rushing.

I have great confidence in the defense.

As to the "intell" Whiz and Grim have on the players....Only Starks has been coached by Grim and that is at RT. At best he can try to figure out how to attack the front 7 but Harrison and Woodley are going to be difference makers.

I expect the Cards to have a game plan like the Titians in week 16. Passes to the flat and underneath crossing routes. I expect Lebeau to hold them to close to 300 yards. Maybe not under but close.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

As to the "intell" Whiz and Grim have on the players....Only Starks has been coached by Grim and that is at RT. At best he can try to figure out how to attack the front 7 but Harrison and Woodley are going to be difference makers.

I expect the Cards to have a game plan like the Titians in week 16. Passes to the flat and underneath crossing routes. I expect Lebeau to hold them to close to 300 yards. Maybe not under but close.

You notice how everybody seems to think that Whiz and Grimm have Lebeau's number since they were on the same staff? If anything, I bet Lebeau has intel on them, since he is the mad genius.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
SteelCityYaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
SG3 wrote:

Also: Hines Ward missed the game for the Steelers.

The difference in the game was a 73 yard Steve Breaston PR for a touchdown. Game winning points given up by the special teams.

Also note:
Troy went out in the 3rd qtr with a abdominal injury.

I believe that this years' defense is light years ahead of last seasons - we have mostly rushed the passer with 3 to 4 players (A.Smith, L.Woodley, J.Harrison and B.Keisel) and still generate pressure, add that with a fully healthy Troy, a good Timmons and a Farrior who is playing like a 25 year old, they aren't the same as last years.

Jack Lambert ~Greatest MLB Ever.
ErnestoGuevara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice the trick play in the Arizona game that went for a TD? I believe it was Fitz's second one.

That trick play was essentially the exact same trick play we used against the Bengals in the 2005 playoffs, back when Whiz was our O-coordinator.

Could it possibly be that some of the Steelers' old playbook is now in Arizona's current playbook? It's something I'm sure Lebeau is thinking about.
LayTheWood56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErnestoGuevara wrote:
Did anyone notice the trick play in the Arizona game that went for a TD? I believe it was Fitz's second one.

That trick play was essentially the exact same trick play we used against the Bengals in the 2005 playoffs, back when Whiz was our O-coordinator.

Could it possibly be that some of the Steelers' old playbook is now in Arizona's current playbook? It's something I'm sure Lebeau is thinking about.

I did, that was the exact same play that Whiz used in 2005 against the Bengals. I read an article on a website I can't remember which one, saying they expect Whiz to draw up 4-5 trick plays for this game. The article also stated that it could be interesting to see how agressive Tomlin plays this game...citing his going for it on 4th down, fake punt, onside kick, etc.

Guess we'll see

Props to BucsGetGains on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: