You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers backfield

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjdbdds

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Steelers backfield Reply with quote

I keep reading all these postings and could not help but to comment. I think there are is a potential for problems with the running back situation for the steelers. I like the steelers and love watching them. A year ago I could not stand it to see a team that is known for and built for running the ball switch the game plan. Even though I may be a minority on this subject, I thought that Amos was an outstanding 3rd down back and worked well with Bettis. The game plans and the move by the coaching staff ( that was horrible) was a mistake. The remedy was even worse. To blame Amos for that was a joke. So now look. You have Bettis, who played his [inappropriate/removed] off and right into retirement. You have Staley who is just not going to be the answer. Hell you would have been better last year Keeping Amos. Cheaper, more durable, doesn't fumble, and is your 3rd down back. Vernon has filled in nicely at times so that is a plus. I think you need a young big back and will have to search for a 3rd down and a reliever for the starter. I would not bank my season on Duce. He goes down and there is problems. Would have to rely on Big Ben and he may not be ready for that.
Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amos was given the starting job and failed....miserably.

He would go down on first contact all the time.
He never initiated contact.
He had trouble hitting the hole.

All he is IS a third down back. We have Haynes and Parker on our roster who can do that job better than Zereoue and at a cheaper price.
Zereoue played his way out of Pittsburgh all by himself.

He had a chance to become the starter in Oakland....what happened there? Oakland from what I can tell is still looking for that Starting RB.

What does that tell you about Zereoue?

Staley is not a 3rd down back. Staley can handle the load.

I'm sure the FO/Coaching Staff will find a replacement for Bettis if he indeed decides to retire.
blitzburgh86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that we should draft a running back but not in the first couple of rounds. I like Eric Shelton or Brandon Jacobs. If Bettis retires I dont feel to comfortable with Staley, Haynes and parker. I do like Staley alot but he is injury prone. I think Haynes has potental but he always seems to be hurt.
RetireCowher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Rudi Johnson...our system is perfect for a back like Rudi...and look at how well he ran behind the Bungals paper line.
the white rat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the steelers wont spend that much on another big FA back this offseason but i would love to have lamont jordan. i like duce, but he is not and never should have been thought to be the anwser. there was a reason that he could not carry the load in philly. he was their feature back for about a year then they went to RB by commity, why? beacuse he cant handle the load he was not good enough to get the carries ahead of Westbrook and buckhalter, and was left to walk by the iggles, and he is injury prone. if we dont get some one in FA and Bettis retires they need to get someone high in the draft who will be the long term anwser.
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know the status of Najeh Davenport?

I always thought he had a ton of potential.
He fits the Steelers style also. Big power back. Has good speed also.
andre80j

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say they take a running back around the 3-5 round. I wouldn't mind seeing them take Ciatrick Fason if he falls to the second round pick.
Walter Reyes is also another possibilty. He is a bit undersized, but once he hits the weight room and bulk up about 10 pounds he could be a real steal. Marion Barber III could also be a interesting pick around the 4th round.
blitzburgh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the Duce bashers out there: give him a chance! Prior to injury he was one of the top backs in the NFL. The Steelers were fortunate that Bettis was playing as well as he was so that they could let Duce rest as long as he did. Actually Duce for his career isn't injury prone and has proven to be a more durable back then most people remember. He did lose carries in Philly but look at the talented RBs they had. Dillon lost carries to Rudi, who's better there? Ricky was losing carries to Deuce in NO so they traded him, who's better there? Travis Henry and Willis Mcgahee? I think the running back situation in Pittsburgh is the least of the teams concerns.
the white rat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to all of you in love with staley, he is not the guy we need, we are hella lucky that bettis played out of his gord this year cuz he should have been in the trash heap before last season, Haynes is injury prone and parker is untested, i would not feel very confident going in to next season with out doing something. duce will never start 16 games in a season. and the chances of haynes being on the active roster are always small, dont get me wrong i like all the guys we got, but NONE of them are true #1s and if we want to run the ball the way we want to something is going to have to be done if not in FA or early in this draft, we need to set something up where we could end up with a high pick in the next year or twos draft.

if we could find someone to trade up in to the first this year and give us a 2 and a 1 in 06' or 07' that would be the best solution with out signing a big FA, l. jordan, r. johnson, n. davenport, r. dayne.?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: