You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Cowboys Game and the End of an era?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d-jackfan10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: The Cowboys Game and the End of an era? Reply with quote

Tomorrow as the Eagles take the field at Lincoln Stadium against the despised Cowboys, it might be the end of an era in Eagles history. The Eagles future may be decided on whether the Eagles win or lose. So as you watch the game, you may be watching a huge turning point in Eagles history and the Eagles will be presented with a fork in the road and they will be forced to choose a path.

Arrow If the Eagles lose tomorrow it might very well be the last game for the most successful head coach in Eagles history.

As much as you all hate Andy Reid, I will be saddened if he were let go as the Eagles coach. Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in recent NFL history. He was brought in and took over a miserable 3-13 team and then in 2 years he had this team in the playoffs. He has led the Eagles on many playoff runs which include 4 NFC Title Games and a Super Bowl Appearance. He has led the Eagles to 5 NFC East crowns, a far cry from the Eagles he took over. He has led the team to 104 wins and has become only the 37th coach in NFL history to top 100 victories.

"What Andy Reid has done is remarkable," Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy said, "especially in light of the salary cap and free agency and the inability to maintain continuity. What I like most about him is he's level headed. It doesn't concern him who gets the credit. He's not concerned with puffery. His teams are sound fundamentally, and most important, he picked a great coaching staff for them. I admire the man."

Eagles Chairman/CEO Jeffrey Lurie said, "I've always said, he's like a CEO on the field. He understands the big picture and the short-term picture. You have to always balance the two. Disciplined. Prepared. Smart. It's an awfully good combination."

"Andy has intellectual capital. He has no ego. To him, it's all about building team community. He's comfortable with himself. He's not paranoid, worried about what others think or report. He's genuine and people follow that."

Arrow If the Eagles lose tomorrow it could quite possibly be the last game in Donovan McNabb's Eagles Career.

"All of the things off the field are just a dream come true and what I'm doing now is reality, playing football," said McNabb.

EAGLES TEAM RECORDS HELD BY MCNABB

Regular Season
    -Most wins by a QB: 81
    -Most 300-yard passing games - 24
    -Most Consecutive 300-yard games - 3 (vs. SF 9/18/05, vs. Oak. 9/25, at KC 10/2)
    -Most Yards, Career - 29,145
    -Most Yards, Season - 3,875 (2004)
    -Most Yards, Game - 464, vs. GB (12/5/04)
    -Most Attempts, Career - 4,282
    -Most Attempts, Season - 569 (2000)
    -Most Completions, Career - 2,522
    -Most Completions, Season - 333 (2008)
    -Most Completions, Game - 35 (vs. SD 10/23/05)
    -Most TDs, Career - 192
    -Completion % (min. 500 atts.), Career - 58.9
    -Completion % (min. 150 atts.), Season - 64.0 (2004)
    -QB Rating, Career - 85.7
    -QB Rating, Season - 104.7 (2004)

POSTSEASON
    -Most Wins by a QB, Career - 7
    -Most Passing Completions, Game - 30, vs. NE (2/6/05) SB39
    -Most Passing Touchdowns, Game - 3 (tied with two others), vs. NE (2/6/05) SB39
    -Most Passing Attempts, Career – 419 (12 games)
    -Most Passing Completions., Career – 249 (12 games)
    -Most Passing Yards, Career – 2,630 (12 games)
    -Most Passing Touchdowns, Career – 18 (12 games)

So the greatest QB in Eagles history may be gone tomorrow and the Eagles player that the fans love to hate will be out of an Eagles uniform for good. Last year at this time McNabb was guaranteed a roster spot by management, the situation is not the same this year and McNabb is essentially begging for a new contract and to stay an Eagle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Gu70xY6r0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1_Ae5Ljs6Q

Arrow The bookend offensive tackles for the Eagles are potentially playing their last games.

William Thomas:
    -Was selected as the starting LT on the Eagles 75th Anniversary team in a vote by the fans
    -Is the 2nd-longest tenured athlete in Philadelphia (11th year), behind teammate Brian Dawkins (13th)
    -Thomas and teammate Jon Runyan have started a franchise-record 133 regular season games together as a tackle tandem.

"Backside tackles are always big for a quarterback," said McNabb. "Tra has played a major part in the success I've had here over the years. We've had great times together. It's always good when you look back and know the guy who has been there throughout your career is still back there."

Jon Runyan:
    -Jon is the last remaining Houston Oiler in the NFL
    -He Sports an active streak of 209 consecutive combined starts. His 18 postseason starts since 1999 are more than any other active NFL player.

What Jon has brought to the offensive line is that temperament of his," said Andy Reid. "He is going to maul you and beat you up and feel pretty good about doing it. That's been contagious all the way across the line."

Arrow But the biggest loss might be that of Brian Dawkins, a true Eagle. I can not put it any better than BatCountry! did.

Brian Dawkins: The Case for The Hall of fame:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=280675

Here is what really stood out as I read that:

Quote:
Part II: Revolution of the Safety Position

Brian Dawkins was the primary catalyst in the modern revolution of the safety position. Like Lawrence Taylor, who transformed outside linebacker from a read-and-react position to an aggressive attacking role, Brian Dawkins redefined the use of the NFL safety to that of an all-purpose playmaker. Not only did he breathe new life into a stagnant position, he re-tooled modern defensive coordinators with one of the most effective defensive weapons in recent football memory - the hybrid safety.

Brian is a rare player, not only with the coverage abilities of an cornerback and the power of linebacker, but the blitzing instincts of a rush end; much more effective than the one-dimensional 'rover' safeties of past generations due to his coverage skills, and even deadlier on the blitz due his speed and instincts. Brian's hybrid safety revolution granted defensive coordinators new tools to create havoc and confuse opposing offenses. Further, hybrid safeties have also taken new responsibilities in countering the infusion of more athletic tight ends to NFL offenses in the past decade. During his career, opposing quarterbacks and centers were forced to identify Dawkins' location prior to the snap - such adjustments in the past were almost always designated for linebackers. This was primarily due to Dawkins' starting position at the snap being the pre-determinant of the Eagles' blitz scheme for the majority of his career.

Evidence of Brian Dawkins' impact can be seen throughout the league today in the newest crop of impact players - the Troy Polamalus, the Adrian Wilsons, and the LaRon Landrys. In high school, high profile athletes who would in the past be recruited for linebacker, running back, or cornerback, are signing letters of intent to play safety. College players like Taylor Mays, William Moore, Will Hill, Chad Jones, and Morgan Burnett look to continue this new tradition.

For years in the NFL, 'safety' was a positional designation defined by what a player could not do. Brian Dawkins repealed this label and created a new position defined by the fact that there was nothing they could not do.

“That's what I love so much about this team." said Dawkins "We have some warriors here. We have some guys who go out there and fight. That's the best thing about this team. No matter what happens, we just keep fighting. You have to love that.”

“It's simple, ... I'm always striving to do more. Whatever I accomplish, it's not enough. I don't get satisfied. That's not my nature.”-Brian Dawkins

Tomorrow’s game against one of the Eagles most hated rivals could usher out the end of a great era in Eagles history.

"I just think for the most part since I’ve been here in ’03, this was the Eagles’ division and they were the team to beat, and I think the backbone of that has been Brian Dawkins being the emotional leader on defense and obiously Donovan, with what he brings to the offense." said Jason Witten "You think of the Eagles, that’s what you think of, and that’s the kind of team they have and what those two guys bring. To think of the Eagles without those guys is kind of mind–boggling because in my mind that’s what this team is all about."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLSrF81Q8rM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5B8W8ZyR4

Winner of the Mocking Bird Award

“Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.” -Bertolt Brecht
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post man.

The future will unfold soon. And as you said this very well could be the very end of this era, and the start of a new, there are no guarantees.

If this is, in fact, the last game of some of the veterans. Runyan, Thomas, and Dawkins. How many people would rather see them walk away with a loss, at home, against Dallas, than actually beat the Cowboys, ruin their playoffs, but then there's an increase in the possibility that some of the aforementioned others (Andy/McNabb) will remain on this team.

Something tells me even those who want nothing more than to get rid of Andy and McNabb, will feel a greater sense of accomplishment with a victory over the Cowboys. This game could set Dallas on fire, and we get to see our veterans walk away with this memory.

It'll be a tricky one and I expect emotions to shift throughout the game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid Post, but to tell you the truth I see all three coming back next year. I believe the Eagles will get a real general manager to make some changes as well as replacing Marty Morninwheg at Offensive Coordinator. I see Dawkins re-signing with a one-year deal after his very impressive second-half play that led him to the Pro-Bowl. McNabb will either just return or they'll work out a new contract. I don't believe they can trust Kolb to go next year after what we've seen from him in his last two appearances. Those are my thoughts, but I can tell you for sure that the Fat Man will be back coaching us next year.
Ithacan Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really really good post man. good read. i think if any eagles fans havnt thought about this should. very well could be the end of a era. i just hope we can end the year with a bang.

Brian Dawkins may be a Denver Bronco now. But Weapon X will always, always be an Eagle.
FlyinDawkins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else, good post.

It's also why I argued so vehemently in favor of going all-out this year and getting the offensive playmakers the Eagles needed to ensure that this kind of situation wouldn't happen. Unfortunately, they are where they are, maybe some of these guys will return (Dawk and Runyan most importantly) and the Front Office will take that to heart going into their offseason plans.
Aplayo10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the greatest posts in the history of this message board, outstanding job.

FlyinDawkins wrote:
Yay Freddie Mitchell Jr!!!!

How does Andy Reid still have a job?
eaglefan#1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice post but we're up 34-3 against Dallas Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is that all 4 of those guys had a game. Most likely 3 or all 4 of them will come back next season.

Oh, I almost forgot... Andy also had a great day calling the plays. See Andy what happens when you Run the ball... Now here is $5 Dollar, go get something from the nearest fast food place.
d-jackfan10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out to be more relevant than I thought. The Eagles without Tra, Runyan and Dawkins, it is hard to believe.

Winner of the Mocking Bird Award

“Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.” -Bertolt Brecht

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: