Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Draft 1/26/05
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCALLTHEWAY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Chiefs Draft 1/26/05 Reply with quote

*from Green Bay for R Kal
**From Detroit for 2004 1st round

***Trade this years 1st to the Eagles for thier first and thier 2nd from MIA

1.Corey Webster CB Lou State/ Justin Miller CB Clemson
2.Barrett Ruud MLB Nebraska*From Eagles*
2.Matt Roth DE Iowa or Brodney Pool FS OU
3.Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut
5.Marviel Underwood FS San Diego State
*5.Brad Poppinga DE Brigham Young
**5.Jonathan Pollard OLB Oregon State
6.Matt Payne P/K Brigham Young
*6.Marcus Lawrence MLB S. Carolina
7.B.A.P.

what do you think?

^^art by ryknowssd
Kansas City War Room

Last edited by KCALLTHEWAY on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:38 pm; edited 9 times in total
2TP3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we want Johnson we will have to trade up with the Bucs and in that case what will we have to give up. I think we will end up giving up too much to get him, I think if anything we should trade down. I like the Browner pick but we would be incredibly lucky if he droped to the Chiefs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?????? This post makes no sense to me. How do the Chiefs trade down from 15 to the Eagles and still take Browner in round one? Please clarify.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well .. browner is considered a late 1st rnd pick .. the chiefs would have a late 1st rnd pick (eagles) so i actually dont see how this doesnt make sense to you !

tuck will be gone before the 2nd rnd even starts. too good a pass rusher ! he would probably be gone b4 the late 1st rnd pick even. if we were to do the philly trade (of which i am a huge supporter of doing) i would go a proven cb like miller or mcfadden or marlin jackson over the very raw brandon browner. he has great physical tools but he hasnt played cb very long and i want an experienced instinctive true corner. i take less athleticism and more instict over the reverse any day (consider the chiefs have gone with athleticism over experience at cb for years now and it hasn't worked well) then with the two 2nd picks i'd get the best mlb left available (lance mitchell ? barret ruud ?) and and possibly another cb. or another lb. or safety. that second 2nd rnd pick for me would depend on what we had gotten in free agency. i might even choose nugent (ohio st kicker) with that second 2nd rnd pick.

obviously all this is academic because this trade hasnt happened. i wish i could sit down with king carl ! someone needs to tell him to investigate this trade proprosal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
mh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Philly trade too, and the key to making it work is FA. I know like Vermeil says free agents are never a guarantee but I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of guys who are pretty much locks to improve our team.

Now say that we go and get one or two or five of these guys, we aren't as pressured to get an impact player out of the draft. We can trade down a few places, get a couple more picks and get young guys that will upgrade the athleticism and youth of the team.

Example:

Sign Ty Law/Fred Smoot/Ken Lucas out of free agency.

Trade the no. 15 for Philly's 31/32 and Miami's 34.

-31/32 - Jackson, Miller, Rogers...I don't know who will be available there but that has to be the pick.

-34 - Odell Thurman, Mitchell, Kirk Morrison.

If we went for Nugent in the 2nd round I think he'd still be around by our original spot. I've been reading the notes from the Senior Bowl practices and scouts say he kicks it in the endzone very consistenly and is deadly accurate. On that note, the daily notes from the Senior Bowl amount to basically a scouting report with basically every NFL team staff present to watch (or coach). ProFootballWeekly.com and ESPN.com both have pretty good daily posts that talk about a wide range of players from a scout's point of view....I would recommend reading it, I kind of felt like an insider when I did. I would also recommend Bob Gretz's article on Ty Law on the Chiefs' website that was posted today.
sweapeelee33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who ever gets Ruud will have picked up an All Amarican Big 12 player. This guy broke the Nebraska team tackle record. you wait and see.
KCALLTHEWAY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Law isn't the answer for the chiefs, to much money not enough coverage, fred smoot is the guy I think can come in and hang around for awhile

^^art by ryknowssd
Kansas City War Room
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree about not going after Ty Law. Gretz sold me on that. I cant see how we could swing smoot because he will cost too muc. not only will he be a BIG contract. he will cost some form of draft pick compensation. probably a 2nd rnd pick. If we were to get the trade with philly and pick up a 2nd pick in the 2nd round then there is a chance. still the cost would really hurt us. I'd rather us go after Charles Woodsen IF he is 100% healthy. Getting a former Raider to switch to Chiefs red is always sweet ! our secondary would then be :

Woodsen, Wesley, Woods, Warfield

with draft choice CB at nickel, Beeny Sapp at dime

and hopefully Battle can transition back to being a safety and take over for Woods at somepoint.
mh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoot would be expensive, but if he is an unrestricted free agent why would we have to compensate with draft picks? I also don't like Ty Law, he's old and Gretz's article speaks for itself. The prospect of having Woodson on D is intriguing, but he has a lot of character issues like Law, and he probably won't be cheap either.
KCALLTHEWAY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Matt Payne in the East West game and he was kicking into the wind about 40 some odd yards and made a couple of kicks, oh yeah and every kick off was on the goal line or deeper, I think he would be a great 6th round pick, what do u guys think?

^^art by ryknowssd
Kansas City War Room
mh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him play against Boise State, and when I say play I don't mean just kick - the guy absolutely destroyed two returners with devastating hits. It was unbelievable! Normally when you see hits like that you say "Oh man, which LB made that hit?" Imagine my surprise when they show the replay and it's the kicker whacking all these people. On top of that he does have a very, very strong leg and I don't think KC has had a touchback in three or four years.
KCCHIEFS_58

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see KC Trade DOwn with someone to get an extra pick in the second, This way they can still get good a CB in the later round of 1 and there are plenty of good Pass rushing DE's that will be available early 2nd, so you can get better real quick with two picks. I would only do this if Johnson, Rolle, and Pac Man are all ready Gone which is probably likely.

Philadelphia would be a good team to trade with if they can get that early rd 2 pick off them.

Or maybe just drop back a couple spots and still get a number two.

I could see a couple of players being dealt also some how, Chiefs could end up with a good CB and lose a second and LJ or something?
KCALLTHEWAY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can we trade LJ there are cap and back up reasons, remember if Priest goes down witch is starting to become normal, who backs him up?? CROUCH???!?!?!?!?!?!? we need L J to take some hits off of Priest the two should be a great duo

^^art by ryknowssd
Kansas City War Room
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mh wrote:
Smoot would be expensive, but if he is an unrestricted free agent why would we have to compensate with draft picks? I also don't like Ty Law, he's old and Gretz's article speaks for itself. The prospect of having Woodson on D is intriguing, but he has a lot of character issues like Law, and he probably won't be cheap either.

smoot is a restricted free agent

kennison was also considered to have char issues. he's worked out fine.
mh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad on smoot, thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: