Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BrownBaggin's Man Crush Draft Class of 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: BrownBaggin's Man Crush Draft Class of 2009 Reply with quote

Those of you who have known me for a while know that I'm not a huge fan of mock drafts... and those who really know me well know that I think mock drafts are absolutely ridiculous. I have read thousands of mock drafts for at least 10 years and I have never seen anyone, not even the "experts", get anywhere close to the draft correct. In fact, the best mock that I ever saw was in the offseason of 2007 and that guy ended up only getting 20% of the 1st round picks right and only about 5% of the 2nd round picks right.

So instead of going with the flow and releasing a BrownBaggin' Mock Draft this year, I've decided to introduce the world to my favorite Man Crushes of this upcoming draft. I understand that I can't predict or dictate who we pick in the 2009 draft, but listed below is a roster of different prospects that I would love to get our hands on and see in a Black n' Gold uniform.

Furthermore, due to the idiotic strategies of our upper management, we've traded away an excessive amount of picks in the upcoming drafts - both in 2009 and 2010. What I want to see is us trading with other teams to get some of those picks back - whether it's us trading our mid-round 1st pick or for a couple of our current players. I don't want to see the Saints Front Office chase near-30 Free Agents around waving big $$$ and I don't want to trade for "Pro-Bowlers" (thank you Jeremy Shockey). I want to draft our own talent that we don't have to pay out the a** for the price tag. At this point, all I care about is getting a larger quantity of picks. For this very reason, you will notice that all of my Man Crushes of 2009 are mid-to-late round prospects.

Due to our lack of picks (due to the Shockey & Vilma trades), I think we will find that it is absolutely VITAL for us to pick wisely in round 3-7. This is where my inspiration for this Baggin' Man Crush list comes from.

We all know by now the projected 1st and 2nd rounders for this next year's draft class. There's nothing new I could tell you about the Beanie Wells and the Brandon Spikes of the '09 Draft Class...

What I want to do is find the next Tim Hightowers ('08 5th Round) and Steve Slatons ('08 3rd Round). Although I think DeMario Pressley (Saints '08 5th Round Pick) will work out for us in the long run, imagine what we could have done this year with Tim Hightower - who was picked less than 10 picks after we picked Pressley.

On my list, I will give you one mid-round pick (3rd-4th) for each position need and one late round pick (5th-7th).

Team Needs (according to Baggin'):
1. Free Safety - I think everyone will agree that we have to find somebody to fill this position. I don't think KK is a horrible FS, but I do think we need an upgrade here.

2. Big Thumper RB - I know some people are happy with Pierre, but I want to see a bowling ball opposite of Bush - not a Deuce/Bush hybrid, which is exactly what Pierre seems to be. A lot of people will also want us to chase after Free Agent folks like Derrick Ward, but not me. Ward is nearly 30 and what we need is a long term fix. If you do your homework, mid-to-late round RBs can have a very impressive NFL success rate. You look for 3 things: 1) Ability to move pile and continue the play 2) Blocking Vision 3) Thick thighs.

3. Hard-hitting cover CB - Tracy Porter looks like he's going to be a stud, but McKenzie's career, if not over, is coming sooner than later. Jason David isn't our man... and Gay & Young seem to be great at filling the Dime and Nickle positions, but not too much more.

4. Outside LB - Vilma is our Middle Man... no doubt. I also like Fujita on one side. But Shanle is nothing more than a talented NFL backup. To fill this hole, I am only looking for 1 thing: A baby-eating Beast.

So without further a due, I would like to introduce you to

BrownBaggin's Man Crush Draft Team of 2009...

Baggin's Mid-Round RB:
Rashad Jennings, Liberty.
Height: 6-1 Weight: 232
(Transfered to Liberty from Pittsburg due to family reasons)

Jennings is a flat out stud who I am praying the scouts don't hype up too much. If we can find a way to get this guy, we without a doubt should. This guy has Brandon Jacobs Jr. written all over his style of play. Rashad Jennings is my favorite RB of this upcoming draft. You heard it here first.

Please notice that the only way that this man gets tackled by one man is if he gets his ankles knocked out from under him. Simply trying to wrap him up at the hips is damn near impossible for the average defender.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP5XBCu_ws

As of right now, he currently has rushed for over 4,000 yards throughout his college career. This year, his Senior year, he has tallied up the following: 263 Attempts, 1,500 Yds, 17 Tds, 5.7 YPC

Baggin's Late Round RB:
Andre Brown, NCSU
Height: 6-0. Weight: 228

Truth is, Andre Brown is my brother. When BigMamaBrownBaggin' found out she was pregnant with a white boy (me), she named me "Andrew Brown." 10 months later, when she found out she was pregnant again with a black baby, she named him "Andre Brown." When it comes to football, the only reason why he hasn't been on everybody's 1st or 2nd round draft boards is the fact that he has had a couple injuries in his past (however, nothing too serious). But for a late 6th or 7th round pick, he's a steal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQz4EJoY0aU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osqLdQbjJ4A

Baggin's Mid-Round OLB:
Zack Follett, California
Height: 6-2 Weight: 235

Follett eats QBs. I've never seen a OLB that wants to get to the QB more than Follett. If you doubt my word, make sure you are watching around 2:18 on this highlight film...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsr4YIWgazc

If you wanna see how Follett has been bred to hit, just take a look at how hard he hit when he was playing Pop Warner...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqRIsoWnPg&feature=related

Here's another one. This guy has hits for days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VsDp1Jq7U&feature=related

Follett is one of my two favorite OLBs in this upcoming draft (the other being Nate Irving, who you will read about later). Word on the street is Follett hog-tied a Kodiak Grizzly bear when he was 10 years old. Follett has the body of A.J. Hawk but the mind of Kyle Turley. Zack Follett will rip your helmet off.

And although California currently plays in a 3-4 Defense, Follett has prospered in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

Baggin's Late Round OLB:
Nate Irving, NCSU

Let me introduce you to Baggin's Underclass Star... Mr. Nate Irving. Bar-none, Irving is my favorite Defensive Player in College. There is absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that this guy will be starting on Sundays in the future. Due to being only a sophomore on a mediocre team, Irving isn't a Sportscenter regular. My only worry is that he won't enter his name into the draft this year. But if he does, THE SAINTS HAVE TO GO FOR HIM. In fact, I just read in the newspaper that NCSU coach Tom O'Brien has grown so tired of Irving hurting his teammates in practice that he has decided to ship in African Lions for Irving's tackling dummies.

Don't believe me, check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8t_CCmASDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=linxBFZQ8Oc

Baggin's Mid-Round CB:
Wopamo Osaisai, Stanford
Height: 5-11 Weight: 199

Wopamo is the only CB that I want to see us draft anywhere during the 3rd or 4th rounds. I love everything about this guy, even the fact that "Wopamo Osaisai" might be harder to pronounce than "Nnamdi Asomugha." What I love most though, is the fact that Wop has been very successful in a man-to-man defense and playing the zone. He is the hardest hitting cover corner I've seen this year on the collegiate level. Wop jams WRs at the line and then keeps them on his hip past the 1st 5 yards. He also has great speed. Remember this when everybody is raging about this guy: Wop was Baggin's boy first.

Baggin's Late Round CB:
Lydell Sargeant, Penn State
Height: 5-10 Weight: 186

Sargeant is a late-round steal... in fact, the only reason why NFL scouts are raving about this guy is due to the fact that Lydell Sargeant is "allegedly" in love with Mary Jane. If Sargeant can keep his record clean, I'm all for getting this kid. The only thing that Sargeant needs to work on is being working on his transition time of the rotation of his hips when "turning & burning.

Baggin's Mid-Round FS:
C.J. Spillman, Marshall
Height: 6-0 Weight: 194

Spillman is my FS pick. He has size at 6'0" and 194 without compromising speed (has a projected 40 time of 4.4) Spillman is a very territorial FS who will attack any ball thrown his way. A QB would have better chances in sneaking in the hen-house and taking an egg unnoticed than trying to sneak a pass in on Spillman. And we all know, BrownBaggin' loves his mother-hens.

Baggin's Late Round FS:
Nate Ness, Arizona
Height: 6-1 Weight: 191

Nate Ness is quick (4.50 - 40). Nate Ness has good size (at 6-1). Nate Ness loves making plays on the deep ball. Nate Ness is the most physical FS in the '09 Draft. You heard it here first. The only downside: Nate Ness sometimes would rather let his WR catch the ball so he can hit him (legally) than play the ball. All Nate Ness needs is some good coaching because Nate Ness has all the natural tangibles of being a great shutdown NFL FS.

Last edited by BrownBaggin on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 7 times in total
BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of these players, who I have listed above as Baggin's Man Crushes of '09, if I had to name a 1st Team Man Crush lineup, I'd have to list them:
1st Team Man Crushers:

-Rashad Jennings, Liberty RB
-Zack Follett, California OLB
-Nate Irving, NCSU OLB (I can't just pick Follett as my favorite OLB)
-Nate Ness, Arizona FS
-Wopamo "Wop" Osaisai, Stanford CB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB you are the man, Follett is a stud He's quick, strong and has great instincts! I would love for this guy to fall in our laps in the draft. We should write to mickey!
Gator_Saint28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pegues huh? I really like pegues, he is a little undersized, but he is a ball hawk. He also likes to hit.

nico002 wrote:
Leading the league in interceptions doesn't mean jack.
BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gator_Saint28 wrote:
No pegues huh? I really like pegues, he is a little undersized, but he is a ball hawk. He also likes to hit.

Pegues will be gone in the 2nd. If you notice, all my man crushes are mid-rounders to late-rounders. That's where I think we can really make an impact. Getting depth out of our draft.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having a man crush list instead of trying to make sense of how the draft will shake out before the seasons even over.

I cant say I can comment on your list much outside Andre Brown and Zack Follett because I havent seen most of them play. Ive been hearing tall tales about Rashad Jennings for a while now, he does have great size and stats.

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Harvin turns into Reggie Bush 2.0.... sucks in the NFL, godly in Madden 2010
Gator_Saint28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownBaggin wrote:
Gator_Saint28 wrote:

Pegues will be gone in the 2nd. If you notice, all my man crushes are mid-rounders to late-rounders. That's where I think we can really make an impact. Getting depth out of our draft.

Im not so sure that pegues wont make it to the 3rd or 4th. This is a very strong safety class and pegues plays on a very poor team. I think Rashard Johnson from alabama has probably passed pegues by now. So that puts
Moore
Mays
Johnson
Chung
Greene
Taylor
All over pegues.

What do you think?

nico002 wrote:
Leading the league in interceptions doesn't mean jack.
BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAsports5 wrote:
I like the idea of having a man crush list instead of trying to make sense of how the draft will shake out before the seasons even over.

I cant say I can comment on your list much outside Andre Brown and Zack Follett because I havent seen most of them play. Ive been hearing tall tales about Rashad Jennings for a while now, he does have great size and stats.

I'll tell you another Rashad Jennings tall tale, EA. Last December, Rashad was walking his dog on a natural trail up in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains. All of a sudden, Rashad heard a grunt behind him. He turned around and saw a big black bear. His dog ran. Rashad picked up a 3 foot stick and crushed the bear's skull into the dirt path. Rashad threw down the stick and tracked down his dog, following the scent that the dog left when she urinated in the sight of fear when seeing the bear. Rashad grabbed his puppy's leash and finished the walk. All this without breaking a single drop of sweat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownBaggin wrote:
EAsports5 wrote:

I'll tell you another Rashad Jennings tall tale, EA. Last December, Rashad was walking his dog on a natural trail up in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains. All of a sudden, Rashad heard a grunt behind him. He turned around and saw a big black bear. His dog ran. Rashad picked up a 3 foot stick and crushed the bear's skull into the dirt path. Rashad threw down the stick and tracked down his dog, following the scent that the dog left when she urinated in the sight of fear when seeing the bear. Rashad grabbed his puppy's leash and finished the walk. All this without breaking a single drop of sweat.

Laughing , thats by far the tallest one Ive heard. Now if I could just see some game film.

steelcurtain29 wrote:

BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAsports5 wrote:
BrownBaggin wrote:
EAsports5 wrote:

Laughing , thats by far the tallest one Ive heard. Now if I could just see some game film.

I know you are talking about specific game film, but check out the link I provided above and you'll definitely pick up his running style. My father works in Lynchburg, VA (where Liberty is) and so I've traveled up there a couple times and have had the pleasure of watching Rashad play. He's the real deal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I watched it. He really does run alot like Brandon Jacobs but maybe with a little less anger. How is he in pass blocking?

steelcurtain29 wrote:

BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAsports5 wrote:
Yeah I watched it. He really does run alot like Brandon Jacobs but maybe with a little less anger. How is he in pass blocking?

He's pretty decent... that's actually one of the things I noticed when I watched him play against Elon. Rashad Jennings will be the Matt Forte of this draft class. Big downhill runner who doesn't toy around at the line. He would compliment Bush extremely well.

Rashad is also surprising decent at receiving as well. Liberty's offensive playbook is a simpler version of ours where they spread the ball around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed he had pretty good hands watching the clip. That is definitely a must have in our offense.

steelcurtain29 wrote:

BrownBaggin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAsports5 wrote:
Yeah I noticed he had pretty good hands watching the clip. That is definitely a must have in our offense.

Take my word on this one, EA. You and I see eye-to-eye on what happens between the lines 99% of the time.

You'd love Rashad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in:

Rashad Jennings rushed over 100+ yards per game EVERY GAME except 1 this season.

In this one game (aka- his worst game), he still put up the following stats:

14 rushes, 56 yards, 4.0 ypc, 1 rush TD, 2 receptions, 54 receiving yards, 1 TD...

for a total of 16 touches, 100 total yards and 2 TDs.

Who could possible dislike this BrownBaggin' Man Crush Member?!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: